Tags:
[OP]
Jan 19, 2016
62 posts
10 upvotes
Calgary, AB

Smoking (Cigarettes) in Condos

Hi,

This will be a silly question, but is it normal for condos to allow smoking (Cigarettes) inside the building?
11 replies
Sep 9, 2014
551 posts
491 upvotes
Vancouver
It depends. Most buildings in BC have a non smoking bylaw. In my previous building, we passed it after 2 years (it was a new built).
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
10897 posts
6106 upvotes
My building you’re not allowed to smoke in any of the common areas so that includes balconies. These clowns still do it and toss their butts over the balcony causing fires. I truly despise smokers who don’t respect the people around them.
Jan 30, 2019
93 posts
54 upvotes
My buildng has gone smoke-free a few years ago in all common elements and balconies too. We still have a few problems of cigarette butts over balconies, but it's nothing like it used to be before. Cannabis (recreational use) has been included in the ban just a few months ago too.
Sep 16, 2017
285 posts
163 upvotes
Most have indoor smoking ban. cigarettes are disgusting, why would anyone want that smell around their home?
Oct 26, 2016
277 posts
161 upvotes
Probably depends on age amongst other things, my building is ~10-15 old @ Yonge & Sheppard. Until about a year ago smoking was permitted on balconies (not sure about in suites), and in front of building. They then implemented the smoking ban, but grandfathered any existing resident to be permitted, but any NEW residents, including sale of a unit, automatically come under the ban where it's not allowed anywhere including both in suites and on balconies, you have to go outside to the designated smoking areas away from the building.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1307 posts
255 upvotes
ORLEANS
When I owned a condo on midland and steeles, I’m not sure if it is smoke free inside the unit. But I did it anyways
Jan 12, 2017
829 posts
363 upvotes
Very uncommon to allow smoking in common elements.
Blacklist wrote: Hi,

This will be a silly question, but is it normal for condos to allow smoking (Cigarettes) inside the building?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
5636 posts
2823 upvotes
Thornhill
In Ontario, smoking in the public spaces is no longer allowed.

A condo corp may also require a resident to stop smoking if their smoke is interfering with others.
Jan 8, 2011
121 posts
75 upvotes
Ottawa
It's allowed in-suite in most condo buildings in Toronto, to my understand. Those that have banned it still have grandfathered in the current residents.
Banned
May 21, 2019
199 posts
148 upvotes
That does not sound normal to allow.

To allow people to smoke indoors is a fire hazard and health risks to non smokers..

In my condo, people are smoking in their units and smell even comes inside my unit. I wish they make a enclosed room for the smokers so they all can smoke inside 24/7 without affecting the rest of us.

Blacklist wrote: Hi,