• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2019 1:04 pm
[OP]
Oct 12, 2014
910 posts
162 upvotes
Ajax

Smoothie Blender Recommendation

My magic bullet crapped out on me after 5 years. Need a blender recommendation for smoothies. Make a lot of protein shakes with kale and fruits.
27 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5766 posts
1604 upvotes
vitamix or blendtec. especially if you use kale

everything else is a sack of shit in comparison

if you dont want to spend what these cost the rest are all the same (Get the Costco $100 Ninja)
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18546 posts
13339 upvotes
Markham
Just replace the magic bullet...$20 on Kijiji
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4915 posts
3116 upvotes
Milton, ON.
milolai wrote: vitamix or blendtec. especially if you use kale

everything else is a sack of shit in comparison

if you dont want to spend what these cost the rest are all the same (Get the Costco $100 Ninja)
This.
But my vote, if you want to save money and are good with "good enough", will go for Ninja total kitchen for one machine that does it all.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7751 posts
5239 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Vitamix all the way. I've had the same refurbished one for years now. I use it for smoothies all the time.
Jun 14, 2017
816 posts
799 upvotes
Vitamix FTW! That sh! t would blend your phone to a powder.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29347 posts
14852 upvotes
WTF? $400 for a blender? Who in their right mind would buy one?

Then I tried it. Okay this makes sense.
Same reason all the smart restaurants and bars use it. (Actually a higher grade one)

Then there's the stupid bars that buy a $20 blender that breaks every week and does a piss poor job but replaces it anyways because it's "only $20"
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4394 upvotes
If you absolutely need the speed/power/reliability of a Vitamix since your bottom line depends on it (i.e. Starbucks, Booster Juice, etc) then of course that's a no brainer.
Otherwise, might want to give the others a second look. Plenty of reviews online to help you decide on value.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29347 posts
14852 upvotes
It's also the quality of the cut too.
This thing actually blends and does it well.

If you want smooth, this is the way to go.
The tamper too makes sure nothing is stuck.

Apparently the Ninja does also have high reviews but I've never tried one.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4915 posts
3116 upvotes
Milton, ON.
death_hawk wrote: It's also the quality of the cut too.
This thing actually blends and does it well.

If you want smooth, this is the way to go.
The tamper too makes sure nothing is stuck.

Apparently the Ninja does also have high reviews but I've never tried one.
I have tried both and ended up owning the Ninja.
Vitamix is good at one thing only, pure everything to absolute smooth texture.
Vitamix is horrible for getting thick paste out of there and cleaning.

Ninja is easy to clean, easy to remove items and is 90% there when it comes to blending for 1/3 of the price.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29347 posts
14852 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Vitamix is horrible for getting thick paste out of there
100% agree.
and cleaning.

100% disagree.

What's wrong with cleaning? I drop a bit of dish soap in there and blend it til it's clean. Then rinse.
In fact... I would argue that it's actually better for cleaning.
I recently did a chocolate ice cream recipe that involved melted chocolate.
The TL;DR is that it solidified onto the container. Every other blender I'd have to dishwash to get it clean.
The Vitamix I just let run for like 5 minutes and it heated up enough to melt the chocolate.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6703 posts
1439 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: 100% agree.

100% disagree.

What's wrong with cleaning? I drop a bit of dish soap in there and blend it til it's clean. Then rinse.
In fact... I would argue that it's actually better for cleaning.
I recently did a chocolate ice cream recipe that involved melted chocolate.
The TL;DR is that it solidified onto the container. Every other blender I'd have to dishwash to get it clean.
The Vitamix I just let run for like 5 minutes and it heated up enough to melt the chocolate.
Could you please post a link to the recipe you used? :)
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4915 posts
3116 upvotes
Milton, ON.
@death_hawk make but butter in it then try and look under the blades. It will go away with time and use, but its not cleaned. Also, running it for that long is easier than remove the blade and wash?
Jun 14, 2017
816 posts
799 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote: @death_hawk make but butter in it then try and look under the blades. It will go away with time and use, but its not cleaned. Also, running it for that long is easier than remove the blade and wash?
Yup. I own the Pro 750 model and there's a preset for cleaning. It goes full speed and pulses and swishes around. I walk away and by the time it's done, the soapy water is steaming hot everything is all clean after a quick rinse.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29347 posts
14852 upvotes
amz155 wrote: Could you please post a link to the recipe you used? :)
That particular recipe didn't even turn out.
I got a mostly solid block after blending and resting in the fridge.
I hate internet recipes....
cRaZyRaVr wrote: @death_hawk make but butter in it then try and look under the blades. It will go away with time and use, but its not cleaned.
But butter? Face With Tears Of Joy

Also, running it for that long is easier than remove the blade and wash?
I mean... if you're making what I assume to be nut butter, you're probably gonna have to dishwasher it like literally anything else you'd normally make nut (but?) butter with.

And yes, it is easier than removing the blade and washing. I don't think I've ever removed the blade on my vitamix.
If it's real dirty it just goes in the dishwasher.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6703 posts
1439 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote: @death_hawk make but butter in it then try and look under the blades. It will go away with time and use, but its not cleaned. Also, running it for that long is easier than remove the blade and wash?
It’s a hell of a lot safer than taking out the blade column from the Ninja and washing it by hand. With the Vitamix, all you do it put som water in the container, drop of soap, put it on the base, and turn it on.
Penalty Box
Dec 9, 2008
1067 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
if all you make is protein shakes with some fruit then just get another magic bullet or ninja. you dont need a $300 blender to make protein shakes.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29347 posts
14852 upvotes
rjones416 wrote: if all you make is protein shakes with some fruit then just get another magic bullet or ninja. you dont need a $300 blender to make protein shakes.
If that's all you're making? Sure.
But I'd buy a vitamix for spices and other blended things.
Beats a coffee grinder that you can't clean easily.

Plus a vitamix breaks down stuff better. If it's just protein powder? Sure. But fruit/veg I'd take a vitamix.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12855 posts
2957 upvotes
Toronto
If you want something plain and simple similar to magic bullet, get the Nutribullet. A good compromise. Although if you use stuff like Flaxseeds, it won't grind it all down. Vitamix definitely great for it. They have refurbished sales every so often and code for free shipping or something. I think I paid $350 all in or something.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)