Cell Phones

SMS Verification for American Expats

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2020 6:57 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
Nov 10, 2014
146 posts
44 upvotes
Windsor, ON

SMS Verification for American Expats

Hi, can you provide me option for an American living in Canada. I need a US phone number while I live in Canada for SMS verification from my US banks. What is available that is cheap, $10 or less monthly, and is Not VOIP, because SMS verifications do not always work on VOIP numbers anymore. Thank you.
11 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 14, 2012
2372 posts
1767 upvotes
Montreal, QC
truepatriotlove wrote: Hi, can you provide me option for an American living in Canada. I need a US phone number while I live in Canada for SMS verification from my US banks. What is available that is cheap, $10 or less monthly, and is Not VOIP, because SMS verifications do not always work on VOIP numbers anymore. Thank you.
Why not just subscribe to a VPN service, change your VPN location to the US, and sign up for Google Voice?

I have a TruPhone prepaid number and in Canada, it allows for unlimited free incoming SMS and because it is pay as you go prepaid, there is no monthly changes. You can use this for SMS verification/authentication.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 14, 2012
2372 posts
1767 upvotes
Montreal, QC
The initial cost of the TruPhone SIM is a bit on the high side ($30) but it includes $15 airtime balance.

However, there are no monthly charges and it works worldwide. Incoming SMS is free in Canada and to maintain the SIM's active status, you only need to have a billable charge every 180 days.

If you're in Canada, that would mean making/receiving a phone call ($0.40 USD/minute) once every 179 days or so. If you travel to the US somewhat regularly (twice a year or so), you would then make an outgoing call $0.09/minute or an outgoing SMS ($0.09/SMS).

https://www.truphone.com/us/consumer/sim/
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29048 posts
14591 upvotes
lmcjipo wrote: The initial cost of the TruPhone SIM is a bit on the high side ($30) but it includes $15 airtime balance.
This sounds like a cheaper option if your volume is low, but if OP has any sort of volume, Twilio might be cheaper.

$2/month plus $0.005/SMS.
SIMs aren't cheap though.

https://www.twilio.com/wireless/pricing

TruPhone is definitely cheaper if you only get like one a month though.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 14, 2012
2372 posts
1767 upvotes
Montreal, QC
SecretSauce wrote: Sign up for iplum and choose a us number
For security reasons, non actual cellphone numbers (ex: voice over IP numbers) are sometimes not compatible for SMS verification. For example TD Card Services Visa credit card https://www.tdcardservices.com will not work with a non-cellphone number for verification (and without the number being verified, notifications won't be sent to the phone number)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 14, 2012
2372 posts
1767 upvotes
Montreal, QC
death_hawk wrote:
TruPhone is definitely cheaper if you only get like one a month though.
TruPhone prepaid is cheaper than what you've indicated since with TruPhone prepaid there is no monthly charges and incoming SMS is free in Canada (and other countries). The Truphone prepaid subscriber only needs to make 1 billable charge every ~180 days and a billable charge in Canada is as low as $0.40 USD (which translates to having a SIM card for incoming SMS for only $0.80 per year) whereas a billable charge in the US can be as low as $0.09 USD
Member
Jul 15, 2003
441 posts
277 upvotes
lmcjipo wrote: For security reasons, non actual cellphone numbers (ex: voice over IP numbers) are sometimes not compatible for SMS verification. For example TD Card Services Visa credit card https://www.tdcardservices.com will not work with a non-cellphone number for verification (and without the number being verified, notifications won't be sent to the phone number)
I've used it for verification services across multiple platforms without an issue, including financial institutions
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8672 posts
4909 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Suggest GV or get something like Tmobile or ATT prepaid plan [choose pay as you go not monthly plan] that can receive texts.

The latter is best for occasional texts for verification.

Another option is voipms that can receive texts or can even get voipms number and then fwd text to your local number here.

Note: Have you tried entering local number here with USA banks?
2022: BOC raised 6 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 14, 2012
2372 posts
1767 upvotes
Montreal, QC
georvu wrote:
Note: Have you tried entering local number here with USA banks?
I'm not the original poster but with TD Bank NA, it won't accept a non-US phone number. I'm not sure why they put this restriction since TD Canada Trust has no such restriction (my US cellphone is entered as one of my 3 phone numbers for their 2 factor authentication)

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)