Smucker's double fruit blueberry jam

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2018 8:18 pm
Feb 11, 2010
146 posts
152 upvotes
GTA

Smucker's double fruit blueberry jam

Do any of you know where I can get Smucker's Double Fruit Blueberry jam in GTA?
31 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
I saw the double fruit spread by smucker's at freshco, but I am not 100% sure if blueberry was there

I remember specifically orange/apricot and strawberry. They taste really good, it's more of a puree than a jam. Really easy to spread and chunks of fruit.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote: I saw the double fruit spread by smucker's at freshco, but I am not 100% sure if blueberry was there

I remember specifically orange/apricot and strawberry. They taste really good, it's more of a puree than a jam. Really easy to spread and chunks of fruit.
That doesn't surprise me, since Freshco is owned by Sobey's.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2014
1595 posts
1983 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What exactly is a "fruit spread"? Wiki says it's a jam or preserve with no added sugar but this Smucker's product contains sugar. Or are they calling it "fruit spread" in the same way they call non-ice cream products "frozen novelties"?
Apr 9, 2012
473 posts
399 upvotes
This is SO EASY to make at home!!! Buy a 2 Kg bag of blueberries from Costco or Superstore, for $8.99-$11.99 (or smaller bag but less savings), & these basic ingredients as from the ingredients list on the teeny expensive 250 ml Bonne Maman's jar, "sugar, golden sugar, concentrated lemon juice, fruit pectin", bring to a boil on a stove, simmer for maybe 20 minutes & then put into jars (make to suit your own taste).

To make jam or fruit spread is one of the easiest things to cook yourself, at a fraction of the price of store bought, Smuckers or especially Bonne Maman. All you do is mix a few ingredients, heat it, stand there & stir it a bit, watch TV, read or ????, let it cool & then put into containers & into the fridge. Now THAT is an RFD deal!
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
Mtnviewer wrote: This is SO EASY to make at home!!! Buy a 2 Kg bag of blueberries from Costco or Superstore, for $8.99-$11.99 (or smaller bag but less savings), & these basic ingredients as from the ingredients list on the teeny expensive 250 ml Bonne Maman's jar, "sugar, golden sugar, concentrated lemon juice, fruit pectin", bring to a boil on a stove, simmer for maybe 20 minutes & then put into jars (make to suit your own taste).

To make jam or fruit spread is one of the easiest things to cook yourself, at a fraction of the price of store bought, Smuckers or especially Bonne Maman. All you do is mix a few ingredients, heat it, stand there & stir it a bit, watch TV, read or ????, let it cool & then put into containers & into the fridge. Now THAT is an RFD deal!
You do realize that a jar of jam is like $3 ...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
toronto19850 wrote: You do realize that a jar of jam is like $3 ...
The recipe will make many multiples of the amount you would buy for $3, so their point is still valid.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote: The recipe will make many multiples of the amount you would buy for $3, so their point is still valid.
You could also buy multiple the amounts you would buy for $3 for more...the point is $3 is cheaper than making your own.
Apr 9, 2012
473 posts
399 upvotes
Please clarify what $3 jam you are talking about? What volume for $3 & what ingredients? But if it's Bonne Maman, good for you that $3/250 ml of jam is affordable to you. It is not to me. I can & do make better jam / spread for less at home, with little effort. So many things are so easy to make at home vs. buying the more expensive retail product & usually with very little effort. Jam, pizza, peanut butter, bread & so on.

$3 / 250 ml is $12 per litre. That's pretty expensive jam to me & I would not buy it for that price. Costco sells, IMO, a decent quality Saskatoon Berry Jam for $6.59/L, Superstore sells it for $6.99+/L jar.

If you read the ingredients list on the jams, few start with "berries" as the main ingredient, whereas if you make your own, it would be. A jar of Triple Fruit Smuckers lists in order, "Water, Sugar, 3 berries, fruit pectin, citric acid, carbo bean gum, sodium benzoate, colour". It's cost is $5.99/L for mostly water & sugar.

Some brands are less than $3 perhaps, though you don't say $3 for what volume per jar, but what quality is it & how much fruit does it really contain? Superstore sells some low cost jams but the ingredients are not great.

If home making a jam or spread, one can have greater control of the ingredients, taste & cost.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
Mtnviewer wrote: Please clarify what $3 jam you are talking about? What volume for $3 & what ingredients? But if it's Bonne Maman, good for you that $3/250 ml of jam is affordable to you. It is not to me. I can & do make better jam / spread for less at home, with little effort. So many things are so easy to make at home vs. buying the more expensive retail product & usually with very little effort. Jam, pizza, peanut butter, bread & so on.

$3 / 250 ml is $12 per litre. That's pretty expensive jam to me & I would not buy it for that price. Costco sells, IMO, a decent quality Saskatoon Berry Jam for $6.59/L, Superstore sells it for $6.99+/L jar.

If you read the ingredients list on the jams, few start with "berries" as the main ingredient, whereas if you make your own, it would be. A jar of Triple Fruit Smuckers lists in order, "Water, Sugar, 3 berries, fruit pectin, citric acid, carbo bean gum, sodium benzoate, colour". It's cost is $5.99/L for mostly water & sugar.

Some brands are less than $3 perhaps, though you don't say $3 for what volume per jar, but what quality is it & how much fruit does it really contain? Superstore sells some low cost jams but the ingredients are not great.

If home making a jam or spread, one can have greater control of the ingredients, taste & cost.
500ml, about $3 and a bit of change after taxes, under $3 before. First ingredient is raspberries. (Because it’s raspberry jam).

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/great-valu ... 0160804192

What’s the volume on your $20+ pot of jam?

I use about 1 jar of jam in a couple of months. I use jam 1-2 times a week, maybe 3 times.

The cost of storage, effort, time to save a couple pennies/dollars on stuff that will probably go rancid is idiotic in my opinion. Plus you have to factor in the amount of test batches you’ll go through that will be wasted or washed down because they taste bad. Not to to mention if the berries you got were bitter the whole batch of jam would be wasted.

I guess if you eat a jar of jam every week or two it’d be worth it. Maybe even a jar every month. You’d probably end up spending more money in the end but you’d be able to customize your jam. I could care less about that
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2633 upvotes
GTA West
toronto19850 wrote:
The cost of storage, effort, time to save a couple pennies/dollars on stuff that will probably go rancid is idiotic in my opinion. Plus you have to factor in the amount of test batches you’ll go through that will be wasted or washed down because they taste bad. Not to to mention if the berries you got were bitter the whole batch of jam would be wasted.

I guess if you eat a jar of jam every week or two it’d be worth it. Maybe even a jar every month. You’d probably end up spending more money in the end but you’d be able to customize your jam. I could care less about that
It is true that jam is a simple food that has been perfected a long time ago and is not expensive especially if you shop sales etc. But we have started making peach and strawberry jam because we find it does taste better - we pick ripe fruit or buy it at our local farmers market at the height of the season when the flavours are at their peak. The last strawberry picking of the season is often when they have developed the most complex flavour.

Jam ( as opposed to low sugar fruit spread) doesn't spoil or get moldy and we use the small 250l jars so that an opened jar doesn't sit around for a long time. We like to make a lot because we also package them nicely for unique hostess or Xmas gifts.

Making jam is very easy if you are into cooking and we find it a pleasant activity and an opportunity to really "eat local". Most of our jam now seems to come from the US. The house brands of jam seem to come from places like Bulgaria. (BTW did you notice that some brands of pickles are now from India??)
Apr 9, 2012
473 posts
399 upvotes
toronto19850 wrote:

Cost of storage? Minimal as I run a refrigerator with other things & or put it in the cold storage. Rancid? Won't go rancid (mold growth) very quickly at all if it is again refrigerated. It doesn't matter if you buy it or make it, you would still have the same storage or spoilage issues.

$10 of blueberries will make 2-2.5 litres of high quality jam. One could get that to go further with a runnier version or using more sugar, etc..

I've never thrown out a batch for being "bitter", as sugar is used to reduce bitterness. I've never thrown out or washed down a test batch. It's not that difficult to taste it as you make it? It's a very difficult thing to make badly as it's so simple.

I'm not here to fight with you or to prove you are wrong or right. I Just thought that RFD was a place to help us all save some money? I'm glad that you have a way that works for you, but your finances or budget, doesn't work for everyone, nor do we all have access to the same stores or selection as you do, nor do we all live in urban areas with stores & good price competition. I for one have to travel 200+ kms to a Walmart. Many products, not just jams, are extremely expensive in the nearest one grocery store small town to me. The other nearest towns are 100+ kms away. But cost savings are there even in urban areas by making many processed items oneself. Convenience isn't always saving money IME.

Enjoy your raspberry jam.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
677 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Ikea jams are very good. Some of them have fruit as the no. 1 ingredient and they cost $3.99.

You can also get very nice French and Italian jams at Homesense.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
Mtnviewer wrote: Cost of storage? Minimal as I run a refrigerator with other things & or put it in the cold storage. Rancid? Won't go rancid (mold growth) very quickly at all if it is again refrigerated. It doesn't matter if you buy it or make it, you would still have the same storage or spoilage issues.

$10 of blueberries will make 2-2.5 litres of high quality jam. One could get that to go further with a runnier version or using more sugar, etc..

I've never thrown out a batch for being "bitter", as sugar is used to reduce bitterness. I've never thrown out or washed down a test batch. It's not that difficult to taste it as you make it? It's a very difficult thing to make badly as it's so simple.

I'm not here to fight with you or to prove you are wrong or right. I Just thought that RFD was a place to help us all save some money? I'm glad that you have a way that works for you, but your finances or budget, doesn't work for everyone, nor do we all have access to the same stores or selection as you do, nor do we all live in urban areas with stores & good price competition. I for one have to travel 200+ kms to a Walmart. Many products, not just jams, are extremely expensive in the nearest one grocery store small town to me. The other nearest towns are 100+ kms away. But cost savings are there even in urban areas by making many processed items oneself. Convenience isn't always saving money IME.

Enjoy your raspberry jam.
The difference is one jar of jam won’t go rancid because you’ll actually use it before then. 2-2.5L, maybe
So $10 of blueberries would make 2-2.5L, plus the cost of the other ingredients you listed (sugar, lemon juice etc. ). Not to mention if you balance the bitter berries you got with more sugar you’re spending even more money. Only making things worse. Then you have to buy jars, a jar sealer etc.

Not much savings when 2L of jam is $11 at Walmart. Different flavours, seems like the way to go if you want to save. You end up spending more money making it, than just buying the jam, as I expected. They ship for free if you buy over a certain amount, but I’m sure there’s alternatives at local grocery store.

Making your own jam to spend more money while trying to save it sounds pretty counter productive to me. But if it works for you more power to you.

You like 200+km away from a Walmart but not a Costco? What city?
I guess I’m lucky to live in a semi urban area.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
2116 posts
1929 upvotes
Ontario
Aside from cost, homemade jam tastes better. I have never tasted a purchased jam that can compare even if the first ingredient is fruit.

I make marmalade in February as that is the only time you can get Seville oranges. It is a pain to make because each (12) orange has ~40 pits that you have to dig out. Small batches (6) are cooked separately to maintain flavour and light amber colour. My spouse is addicted so I comply.
I know why someone started making marmalade out of these oranges because they are good for nothing else, they are so bitter.

Freezer strawberry and raspberry jam are my standard method now as the flavour is so fresh and easy to make. I used to buy the fruit in season but now buy frozen for convenience.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
It's not too expensive to get into small-batch jam making at all. I had an 8 qt stock pot, tongs, ladles; beyond that I needed a jar rack that fit in the pot and a canning funnel that I bought for a few bucks on AliExpress and a dozen small jars for $8 at the grocery store or Walmart, I can't remember. < $20 to get started up. I cried more about the storage space I lost.

I make about a liter, 3-5 x 250ml jars of a variety at a time and that will last me a year. (I can the stuff so that it is shelf stable.) I might spend $10 on ingredients but it makes $20-40 in high end retail jam or chutney.

However, if you like a spread you don't have to go through all of that; just mash fruit and sugar and add this: https://www.helloflavour.ca/our-brands/ ... ing-powder