• Nov 23rd, 2020 9:01 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 18, 2011
29 posts
6 upvotes

Snow blower recommendation?

Hello All

Would love to get a recommendation for a snowblower for upcoming winter.

Area to be cleared -- driveway (appx 250 sq ft or a bit more), that is it.

Prefer not to heavY...

Recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
39 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11164 posts
6161 upvotes
Markham
Torontorian wrote: Hello All

Would love to get a recommendation for a snowblower for upcoming winter.

Area to be cleared -- driveway (appx 250 sq ft or a bit more), that is it.

Prefer not to heavY...

Recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
I haven't used my snow blower in a two or three years because we just haven't gotten a lot of snow. I bought a Snow plow/sleigh and it's great...hate the smell of gas fumes.

https://www.rona.ca/en/garant-sleigh-sn ... lsrc=aw.ds
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Feb 16, 2017
24 posts
4 upvotes
I just got the Toro 518 - single stage with electric start. Its small and compact, and should be good enough for my need - similar to yours, a 2 car driveway, and a sidewalk along the side of my house (since I have a corner plot). Based on the reviews, this seemed my best choice. I didnt think a 2 stage was required since we dont get unmanageable amounts of snow in the GTA, and I only have concrete walkways / driveways to clear (a 2 stage is needed for a gravel walkway since it doesn't clear to the ground, unlike a single stage which clears all the way to the ground).

This place has them on sale currently - https://kooybros.com/toro-38473-power-c ... nowthrower
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14051 posts
8472 upvotes
Toronto
search, there's a lot of threads on it.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
8065 posts
4459 upvotes
Alberta
redflagusercan wrote: I just got the Toro 518 - single stage with electric start. Its small and compact, and should be good enough for my need - similar to yours, a 2 car driveway, and a sidewalk along the side of my house (since I have a corner plot). Based on the reviews, this seemed my best choice. I didnt think a 2 stage was required since we dont get unmanageable amounts of snow in the GTA, and I only have concrete walkways / driveways to clear (a 2 stage is needed for a gravel walkway since it doesn't clear to the ground, unlike a single stage which clears all the way to the ground).

This place has them on sale currently - https://kooybros.com/toro-38473-power-c ... nowthrower
Toro 621 QZE is what I have. Awesome machine but never have to use the electric start though.
Oct 3, 2017
684 posts
516 upvotes
I have a $250 kijiji special that included delivery. It is a 24inch 2 stage probably 15 to 20 years old. One of better purchases I have made.

Drain the gas or run it dry before you put it away when the season ends.
Jan 18, 2009
113 posts
57 upvotes
Leask
I have a Toro 721 that is faster and does a better job than my neighbours who have monster machines that they have a hard time controlling.

The machine is over 10 years old and have never had a problem starts first time every time.....so far.
Penalty Box
Dec 11, 2006
4857 posts
1834 upvotes
Ajax
Toros are solid. I blow through a double driveway and sidewalk while my neighbor struggles with a monstrosity of a unit.

Have had mine for over 10 years now and have only had to replace the spark plug and blade system once. Has never let me down on anything thrown its way.
Apr 19, 2018
206 posts
50 upvotes
Scarborough
Single stage snowblowers IMO are useless. You want something that will work well especially when you get dumped on with snow. Stick to a 2 stage with a briggs and stratton engine and always use 91 or 94 octane in your snowblower and never leave fuel after the season. Also change your oil at-least every other year if you cant do it yearly.
Don't worry be happy - Bob
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4120 posts
1469 upvotes
GTA
Prestonxavier wrote: Single stage snowblowers IMO are useless. You want something that will work well especially when you get dumped on with snow. Stick to a 2 stage with a briggs and stratton engine and always use 91 or 94 octane in your snowblower and never leave fuel after the season. Also change your oil at-least every other year if you cant do it yearly.
How many feet of snow gets dumped in scarboro? I imagine its more than on the west siiiiiiide?
I've survived with a single stage, its smaller and easier to maneuver especially for a 250sq/ft lot.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
6439 posts
2338 upvotes
GTA
shabby wrote: How many feet of snow gets dumped in scarboro? I imagine its more than on the west siiiiiiide?
I've survived with a single stage, its smaller and easier to maneuver especially for a 250sq/ft lot.
Scarborough doesnt get anymore than anywhere else in toronto, he may have a cheapy two stage. Those in the know, know that a single stage toro can outperform most cheapy two stage.
Nov 30, 2015
368 posts
174 upvotes
GTA, ON
mrtvgame wrote: Toros are solid. I blow through a double driveway and sidewalk while my neighbor struggles with a monstrosity of a unit.

Have had mine for over 10 years now and have only had to replace the spark plug and blade system once. Has never let me down on anything thrown its way.
That's good info to give me an idea on the life of the blade. Did my maintenance yesterday while the weather was still warm and inspected my blade which looks like I can get a few more years out of it. What surprised me was the cost of parts to do a replacement, eg, $159 at HD. For those folks considering the Toro 721 to buy, you should keep this maintenance cost in mind. It's a cost you do not have with a 2-stage when doing a comparison of pros and cons. The Toro 721 is a good machine. First startup of the season went easily even without the choke on.