• Dec 19th, 2016 11:02 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1294 posts
29 upvotes

snow blower's plug smoking

so I was using my toro 1800 corded snow blower this morning and noticed it stops periodically and I had to push the cord/plug in a bit more to get it working again (not on the wall but at the blower ) . After a few more minutes I smelled something burning and saw smoke coming out at the plug (on the blower) and the rubber connector at the power cord melted a bit .

Quick question, so do you think this happened because the inside of the metal prongs were damaged (they look normal and straight except one of them was burnt) or the extension cord was malfunctioning for some reason if that is even possible..?

Anyone else has this happened ? and what did you do ?
2005 Toyota Sienna CE (DO NOT BUY - CLICK HERE)
7 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4230 posts
864 upvotes
Ottawa
Replace the extension cord. The inside of the plug might be bent or damaged, and the electricity is arcing across a tiny gap, causing the smoke and heat damage.

If that doesn't solve the problem, have the blower serviced by an electrician.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14325 posts
15005 upvotes
Oakville
Are you using the correct gauge cable for that machine?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1294 posts
29 upvotes
jabela wrote: Are you using the correct gauge cable for that machine?
I am not sure, the cable is 10+ years old bought for a trimmer and have been using this cable for at least 8 years with this blower , first time having issue.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1294 posts
29 upvotes
MacGyver wrote: Replace the extension cord. The inside of the plug might be bent or damaged, and the electricity is arcing across a tiny gap, causing the smoke and heat damage.

If that doesn't solve the problem, have the blower serviced by an electrician.
thanks will get a new extension to test it out
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1454 upvotes
Richmond
The OP said the plug end on the blower is smoking. That means there's a bad (high-resistance) connection at that end. It's unlikely to have anything to do with the current capacity of the extension cord.

Most likely either the socket at the plug end of the extension cord is damaged as MacGyver said, or it could even be the prongs on the blower itself.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2718 posts
893 upvotes
Windsor
My guess would be water got to the connector, started corroding it, and when you connected the new extension, it had a poor connection there, heated up, and failed. Either that or the other way around happened, and the extension cord was the one corroding.

Take a pic of the smoking connector, and of the end of the extension cord.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.