Travel

Snowbird Homes in the Sunbelt - How do you/did you manage it last/this year?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 8th, 2021 11:01 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8302 posts
1229 upvotes
TO

Snowbird Homes in the Sunbelt - How do you/did you manage it last/this year?

Hey all, I saw the other thread from vlad and it got me thinking, if you know anyone or you own a home down south (doesn't have to be in the States), could be in Carribean/Mx etc.

How did you manage it this/last year due to the current restrictions in place?

I asked b/c my uncle owns a small place down south and obviously they weren't able to travel this year, the place is still closed up but the home is in a community (pays HOA/Condo fee) so its safe but was wondering how did you manage to take care of it remotely?

Did you ask neighbor to watch for the property/hired someone remotely to visit/manage as I believe Insurance requires you to do that?

Just genuinely curious.

Thanks
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
12 replies
Jul 28, 2009
27 posts
20 upvotes
Etobicoke
I manage my place remotely for the most part. I have an Ecobee thermostat and sensors to keep an eye on the temperature and be sure my AC is running.
I also have a ring alarm with water sensors setup which will give me push notifications if something were to happen. And I also have a camera setup inside.
My neighbor also has a key in case there is a emergency.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8302 posts
1229 upvotes
TO
tormont wrote: I manage my place remotely for the most part. I have an Ecobee thermostat and sensors to keep an eye on the temperature and be sure my AC is running.
I also have a ring alarm with water sensors setup which will give me push notifications if something were to happen. And I also have a camera setup inside.
My neighbor also has a key in case there is a emergency.
That's a very nice smart setup, keeping an eye on the property while away. I've bought some items for my uncle delivered to his place from amzn and am hoping a friend of his or if they can travel can set some of these up to keep an eye.
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1166 posts
635 upvotes
Ripley
The group I know all drive and live in big fancy rvs. They drive them down in October and come back in April. They live in campgrounds here.

Last spring most of them parked at a family member’s house until they could get into the campgrounds. This year some of them still went but left in December. Other’s have stayed here and rented air b&bs.

You don’t have to worry about your place when you bring it with you.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5406 posts
1614 upvotes
Toronto
Most of my family/friends who own places down in Florida just flew down last year (instead of driving) and took care of it in person. For those who decided not to go, a wifi thermostat, wifi camera setup, and wifi flood monitoring goes a long way for peace of mind.
Oct 15, 2020
28 posts
12 upvotes
South West Ontario
We owned a house in Florida for 23 years. Sold it 5 years ago. It was in a smaller community. One road in and out. Not gated. The home owners assoc cut the grass and we hired a neighbor to do the weeds and house watch. Paid $30.00 a month for 6 to 8 months. Plus a case of beer from duty free a couple times a year. He would check house over in and out approx every week or 2. Looking for water leaks from roof or anything else abnormal.
We shut the main water off so no floods in house from plumbing and turned electric breakers off except a/c. A/c was left on 80 degrees F
We lost the roof once during windstorm from hurricane. I set up appointment with neighbor and insurance adjuster. They were able to take of it. I must of signed something through fax? Cant remember exactly.
We even sold the house remotely as well with the same neighbors help.
For us we were in a safe community. So no break ins at all. My main concern was roof water leaks going unattended. Major rainstorms there like 6 to 8 inchs at a time! Sometimes even more!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8302 posts
1229 upvotes
TO
littlebigguy wrote: We owned a house in Florida for 23 years. Sold it 5 years ago. It was in a smaller community. One road in and out. Not gated. The home owners assoc cut the grass and we hired a neighbor to do the weeds and house watch. Paid $30.00 a month for 6 to 8 months. Plus a case of beer from duty free a couple times a year. He would check house over in and out approx every week or 2. Looking for water leaks from roof or anything else abnormal.
We shut the main water off so no floods in house from plumbing and turned electric breakers off except a/c. A/c was left on 80 degrees F
We lost the roof once during windstorm from hurricane. I set up appointment with neighbor and insurance adjuster. They were able to take of it. I must of signed something through fax? Cant remember exactly.
For us we were in a safe community. So no break ins at all. My main concern was roof water leaks going unattended. Major rainstorms there like 6 to 8 inchs at a time! Sometimes even more!
Thanks for sharing this, yes that's the major concern. HOA (home owners assoc) are very helpful in US among the communities , they're doing checks for my uncle, the fee is worth it but yeah the rain/thunderstorms can be scary at times. Good idea on turning off all breakers but the AC and he usually turns water off. I appreciate the tips.

Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
2261 posts
793 upvotes
Ontario
littlebigguy wrote: We owned a house in Florida for 23 years. Sold it 5 years ago. It was in a smaller community. One road in and out. Not gated. The home owners assoc cut the grass and we hired a neighbor to do the weeds and house watch. Paid $30.00 a month for 6 to 8 months. Plus a case of beer from duty free a couple times a year. He would check house over in and out approx every week or 2. Looking for water leaks from roof or anything else abnormal.
Hi, I read something about water in your toilet evapourating after awhile and therefore the P trap wont be able to block out any sewer gas. Have you heard about this or have a way to address this?
Assuming there is a hot water tank, I take it you put it on vacation mode. With the main water turned off, are there any concerns I should be aware of if leaving it in vacation mode for months?

Thanks,
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6071 posts
2682 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Dynasty12345 wrote: Hi, I read something about water in your toilet evapourating after awhile and therefore the P trap wont be able to block out any sewer gas. Have you heard about this or have a way to address this?
I imagine a cling wrap and tape would work.
Assuming there is a hot water tank, I take it you put it on vacation mode. With the main water turned off, are there any concerns I should be aware of if leaving it in vacation mode for months?
Best to turn it off if gone for more than a couple of weeks.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Oct 15, 2020
28 posts
12 upvotes
South West Ontario
Dynasty12345 wrote: Hi, I read something about water in your toilet evapourating after awhile and therefore the P trap wont be able to block out any sewer gas. Have you heard about this or have a way to address this?

Thanks,
As mentioned above. We shut the power off to electric hot water tank. I used to turn off every breaker in panel except the a/c and heater and front yard light.. I remember out cottage watch neighbor used to tell me about the p trap issue. He may of been turning water on and flushing toilets every couple months? Personally I wouldn't worry that much about it. That's the least of your problems when you 1500 miles away. On a side note I use to winterize 16 toilets every year at our Campground/Motel property. I would Vacuum water out of the toilets completely. No antifreeze. Did that for almost 20 years. I remember sewer gas being an issue a couple times. Then I just opened windows and aired out the room.
Jul 28, 2009
27 posts
20 upvotes
Etobicoke
I actually do Saran Wrap my toilets and put coffee cans on the shower drains, along with plugging all the sink drains with stoppers. It is not so much a worry about sewer gases. The problem with Florida is you will end up with all sorts of things getting inside if the P-Traps go dry. I don't know how much truth there is to that, But I don't really want to find out. It really only takes a few minutes to do when I leave.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6071 posts
2682 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
tormont wrote: I actually do Saran Wrap my toilets and put coffee cans on the shower drains, along with plugging all the sink drains with stoppers. It is not so much a worry about sewer gases. The problem with Florida is you will end up with all sorts of things getting inside if the P-Traps go dry. I don't know how much truth there is to that, But I don't really want to find out. It really only takes a few minutes to do when I leave.
Or even if they don't. Burmese pythons, anyone? Keep the lids down!
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.