[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
1031 posts
122 upvotes

[Always] Snowblower Deal Watch Thread

More offers from Always
Official Snowblower/Snowthrower Deal Watch Thread

Please post your findings for Toro, Honda, or Ariens .

------------------------------------------------------------------
Craftsman Snowblowers posted by howwon

The following units were advertised in today's (Sept 14) Sears Flyer:

Craftsman 27" dual-stage 13.5 ft. lb. of torque Briggs & Stratton (Reg. price $1499.99) $1089.99
Craftsman 30" dual-stage 15.5 ft. lb. of torque Briggs & Stratton (Reg. price $1699.99) $1399.99
Craftsman 24" dual-stage Tecumseh 8.5 HP (Reg. price $1099.99) $999.99

(Will try to get some images or links when they're available).

Honda Snowblower

USA - The new Honda snowblowers are in stock. At certain stores in Buffalo they are on sale!! Expect to pay New York State tax of 8.75% and GST/PST at the border, usually you do not have to pay duties.

HS520A $599usd and HS520AS (with electric start) $749usd

[IMG]http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/Imag ... 50x250.jpg[/IMG]

Easy Start Honda Overhead Cam Engine
Runs Over 1.6 Hours on One Tank of Fuel
Clears Up To 50 Tons/Hour
Throws snow up to 26 Feet
Large 20" Wide Clearing Width, 12" High
Semi Self-Propelled
Easy-to Use Chute Direction Control
Operator-Friendly Controls with Large On/Off Switch
Large Fuel Tank Cap
Easy-Access Spark Plug and Fuel Drain
Metal Auger Housing
Meets all EPA and CARB Emission Standards
2 Year Residential / 1 Year Commercial Warranty

I went to Jim's Lawn Equipment, Inc.
3459 Harlem Rd
Cheektowaga, NY 14225-2082 (716)837-0444

http://www.hondapowerdealer.com/jimslawnequipmentinc

Great service! Very friendly! Assembled, went through how to use the machine, maintain and store it. Helped me load it into the car (depending on your vehicle they may need to take off the handle or chute etc.) Filled out the warranty card for me. The serivce and personal attention to detail is definitely a big contrast from buying at a big box retail store.

There's a big thread on snowblowers http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... light=snow When you get to page 8 or so you'll see discussion about the Honda snowblowers and other users who have bought from this store. They also bought it at the regular price of $649 and were still quite pleased!

I called around Toronto and for the same model it's $899 (reg $999) and $1099 (reg $1199), respectively.

Ariens 9hp 27" Snowthrower posted by G-Unit!!(DEAD)
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stor ... Ntk=level1

Looks like a great deal! Comes with 120V Electric Start and Recoil starter.

Canada [rfdlink=87]Home Depot[/rfdlink] this week's flyer, $899 (reg $1149) Sept 4-7 only.

This Ariens Deluxe Sno-Thro makes light work of the heavy stuff, relentlessly carving out a 27-inches wide path with its nine-horsepower Tecumseh
2318 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
11008 posts
3571 upvotes
This is a snow thrower, not a blower. Pretty useless when you have big piles of icey snow at the end of the driveway from the plows. Also won't work well with heavy snow falls.

Good for town homes I guess.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2001
3746 posts
578 upvotes
Toronto
kool1 wrote: This is a snow thrower, not a blower. Pretty useless when you have big piles of icey snow at the end of the driveway from the plows. Also won't work well with heavy snow falls.

You are kidding right? I have a lawnboy and have no problems clearing snow from the end of my driveway.
Jan 28, 2007
989 posts
394 upvotes
I have a Toro snowthrower and it outperforms some snowblowers.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
1031 posts
122 upvotes
kool1 wrote: This is a snow thrower, not a blower. Pretty useless when you have big piles of icey snow at the end of the driveway from the plows. Also won't work well with heavy snow falls.
Honda calls it a snowblower.

I'm a first time buyer and can't give you immediate feedback since there's snow. :cheesygri But gosh I hope you're wrong! :|
G-Unit!! wrote: I saw 2 snowblowers at HD this past wk.
one was Ariens 624e for $950.
I know it's more expensive than this one but can someone comment on the quality? How does it compare with the Hondas??
You really should check out that big thread I posted, some people do offer very helpful opinions/experience. This post http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... tcount=191 mentions that this model can be bought at $699usd.
Feb 11, 2007
144 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa
maddawg wrote: You are kidding right? I have a lawnboy and have not problems clearing snow from the end of my driveway.
That's the difference between Toronto and the rest of Canada...not that its anything to boast about but we had almost twice as much snow in Ottawa as you did in Toronto...my snowblower could not throw high enough as my snowbanks were 8 feet tall...I have a 5.5 horsepower jobby and wish I dropped the extra bucks....
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
1366 posts
4 upvotes
Regarding the Honda "snow thrower" if you want to call it that, they are stong machines from my experience. Might be a little challenge with some big piles (compare the size of the auger, engine, and snow chute to the Ariens posted by G-Unit, it's obvious) but considering the comparatively light winters in southern Ontario (last year was somewhat of an exception), it's not something I'd worry about. Also used larger Ariens machines in the past, I was very happy with both. I'd be more worried about a Briggs & Stratton engine, have always had good success with Honda and Tecumseh engines but not so much with B&S, though they have improved quality over the years AFAIK. Then again, I'm not an official small engine mechanic, so think of it what you will. I can only speak from 15+ years experience, I'd take a Honda or Tecumseh over a B&S in a flash.
Sep 20, 2005
407 posts
12 upvotes

Funny, lots of members rave about how good these single stage units are (toro-lawnboy-ariens which are all the same company I belive) and Honda single stage at 5.5 HP or higher working great. See the RFD official snowblower thread in home and garden forum.I am seriously contemplating getting one of these.

I am also tempted by the toro electric 12Amp which seems to get amazing reviews for all types of snow falls; you just need a good quality extension cord.. 12 guage or thicker to run it.
Dec 23, 2004
247 posts
28 upvotes
Nepean
congenic wrote: Honda calls it a snowblower.

I'm a first time buyer and can't give you immediate feedback since there's snow. :cheesygri But gosh I hope you're wrong! :|

You really should check out that big thread I posted, some people do offer very helpful opinions/experience. This post http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... tcount=191 mentions that this model can be bought at $699usd.
If you are in Ottawa check out: http://www.ottawagoodtime.com/

They have a nice deal on Ariens snowblowers and they don't add the freight to the price. Delivery is only $25!! The 927LE is 1089, the 1130 is 1299 and the 624E is $899 - those prices are close to US sales prices and are even less that what Home Depot is charging. The come assembled and tested - mine was still warm when they took off the truck! You can't beat the price in Ottawa anywhere.
Sep 20, 2005
407 posts
12 upvotes
Metablob wrote: If you are in Ottawa check out: http://www.ottawagoodtime.com/

They have a nice deal on Ariens snowblowers and they don't add the freight to the price. Delivery is only $25!! The 927LE is 1089, the 1130 is 1299 and the 624E is $899 - those prices are close to US sales prices and are even less that what Home Depot is charging. The come assembled and tested - mine was still warm when they took off the truck! You can't beat the price in Ottawa anywhere.
H.S.!!! Good find. :) Wonder how long the pre season sale is on. I will have to take a trip down there to check them out
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
11396 posts
4506 upvotes
St-Fabien de Panet, …
[QUOTE]Clears Up To 50 Tons/Hour [/QUOTE]

I'd like to see that :lol:
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
1189 posts
47 upvotes
GTA
I've been using it over 5 years and found it sufficient for the winter in Toronto. It's not the most powerful but with it's small size, it can easily sits in my 9 feet wide garage besides my SUV at the corner. Sometimes I take it with me to my parent's house to clean snow as well. Performance wise, it could easily blow away the unpacked snow 50ft away while sluggish one maybe 20ft. I also like it's 4 stroke engine that gives more torque and no need to mix oil with gas.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
1031 posts
122 upvotes
tomtong wrote: I've been using it over 5 years and found it sufficient for the winter in Toronto. It's not the most powerful but with it's small size, it can easily sits in my 9 feet wide garage besides my SUV at the corner. Sometimes I take it with me to my parent's house to clean snow as well. Performance wise, it could easily blow away the unpacked snow 50ft away while sluggish one maybe 20ft. I also like it's 4 stroke engine that gives more torque and no need to mix oil with gas.
Has the Honda model changed much over the last 5 years?
Mar 14, 2005
879 posts
77 upvotes
[QUOTE]
I am also tempted by the toro electric 12Amp which seems to get amazing reviews for all types of snow falls; you just need a good quality extension cord.. 12 guage or thicker to run it.[/QUOTE]

I am looking at the Toro 1800 for my deck. Home depot has them for $349.

Any better pricing out there?

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stor ... PartNumber
Mar 8, 2006
487 posts
64 upvotes
Montreal
First, Ariens is NOT the same company as Toro-Lawnboy.

Second, this is one stage snow blower. perfect for snow on your deck , walkway and even driveway But not for your EOD ( end of driveway ) or curb side on the street.

When the salt trucks and then after the city trucks pushes the salty snow in front of your driveway, this Honda or other 1 phase will burnt out in a few storms. That snow is full of slat and ice and it is too packed hard for any one phase.

I purchased last year a Ariens 724 with 7 OHV engine and it is the minimum for the front of my driveway ( Montreal ). I want to purchase a one phase for only the backyard and deck.

Ask any good salesman at a Small engine place and he or she will tell you never to purchase a one phase maybe if you use in Virginia.

Look for a two phases model from

Toro
Ariens
Simplicity

Do not purchase Craftsman models, these are the low end in snowblowers.

For more info check out the best forum on the internet for Snow Blowers:

http://www.opeonthenet.com/phpBB2/index.php
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1573 posts
92 upvotes
Collingwood
desmundo wrote: That's the difference between Toronto and the rest of Canada...not that its anything to boast about but we had almost twice as much snow in Ottawa as you did in Toronto...my snowblower could not throw high enough as my snowbanks were 8 feet tall...I have a 5.5 horsepower jobby and wish I dropped the extra bucks....
+1 This little thing would stop dead at the end of my drive most days
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
1169 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
I have a single-stage MTD model(4.5hp) 10+ years and still going strong. (I do need a new pull-string though).Most snowfalls can be removed by this type of machine. Of course heavy wet snow cannot be done. I bought this type of machine because I have a steep driveway and wanted something somewhat portable. I can fit the thing in my trunk.
Jul 23, 2003
829 posts
4 upvotes
Lindsay
great units..
RFD importer of 2007 Nissan Maxima..savings of 14k