Expired Hot Deals

[Always] Snowblower Deal Watch Thread

Deal Addict
May 5, 2005
1566 posts
4 upvotes
R. Hill
G-Unit!! wrote: I saw 2 snowblowers at HD this past wk.
one was Ariens 624e for $950.
I know it's more expensive than this one but can someone comment on the quality? How does it compare with the Hondas??

http://www.ariens.com/products_snow/s_c ... rview.aspx
I have the Ariens 520e and it's an excellent machine. It gets through the heavy ice and snow with ease. It starts like a dream and is a powerful little machine. I strongly recommend them, but I understand that Honda's are excellent as well.
Nov 21, 2004
563 posts
37 upvotes
Can anyone comment on the Ariens 9 HP snowblower on sale at HD this coming wk for $899 ($250 off). Seems like a good deal??
thx.
Mar 8, 2006
488 posts
65 upvotes
Montreal
I recommend the Ariens 9hp.

It is the 924 Classic?

I have the 724 form 2006 and I like the quality of the build and in the long run parts are very easy to get from Ariens.

The snowking engines are good also.

I find my 7 hp is a bit weak for EOD in Montreal but 9 hp would be excellent.

That is a good price also. I paid my 724 last year, $ 799.99.

Intravino
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10368 posts
590 upvotes
New-Brunswick
I have a 10.5HP and I barely got through last winter. This won't cut it unless you are in a big city and just plowing a path from house to sidewalk.
Nov 21, 2004
563 posts
37 upvotes
No, it's the 927 LE http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stor ... PartNumber.

Surprisingly, it's cheaper than HD (USA) after the discount. Rarely see that around.

Intravino - do you find it difficult to service Ariens? I've been reading forums here and there saying Toro is much better for servicing since there are many retail stores around. Thoughts?

thx
Nov 21, 2004
563 posts
37 upvotes
Feneant wrote: I have a 10.5HP and I barely got through last winter. This won't cut it unless you are in a big city and just plowing a path from house to sidewalk.
Really?? I have an 8-car driveway (no sidewalk). I would have thought that a 9HP would do the job.

Feneant - how much space do you have to shovel (if you don't mind me asking)?
Sep 20, 2005
414 posts
15 upvotes
G-Unit!! wrote: Can anyone comment on the Ariens 9 HP snowblower on sale at HD this coming wk for $899 ($250 off). Seems like a good deal??
thx.
When does the sale commence?
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
4622 posts
1126 upvotes
Regina
Feneant wrote: I have a 10.5HP and I barely got through last winter. This won't cut it unless you are in a big city and just plowing a path from house to sidewalk.
I have a pair of pythons and I barely got through last winter :cheesygri
Of all the stuff I buy when looking at this site the last thing I need is a snowblower, I will stick to the shovel and exercise being 33, but for those with heart conditions, etc and a lot older then go for it and get one
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
1037 posts
129 upvotes
What brand is your snow blower?
Nov 22, 2005
180 posts
2 upvotes
i have the ariens 722, 7 hp single stage and it has been great for toronto winters. it can handle deeper snow and eod but sometimes you need to carve off sections at a time...not a big deal as this only happens a few times a year. a 2 stage is nice if you are consistently getting lots of snow, especially wet, but i like the 2 stage b/c it is easy to manuvure i.e. i can get my driveway done in half the time as a 2 stage for most snowfalls and the size i.e. slightly larger than and lawnmover and doesnt take much space in my garage.

when i was buying it really came down to toro, honda and ariens. i chose the ariens b/c it was 2 more hp for the same price as a 5hp toro. it a great machine but would have no hesitation buying the toro or honda. from what i recal the honda are 4 cycle vs 2 cycle.
Nov 21, 2004
563 posts
37 upvotes
seabird wrote: i have the ariens 722, 7 hp single stage and it has been great for toronto winters. it can handle deeper snow and eod but sometimes you need to carve off sections at a time...not a big deal as this only happens a few times a year. a 2 stage is nice if you are consistently getting lots of snow, especially wet, but i like the 2 stage b/c it is easy to manuvure i.e. i can get my driveway done in half the time as a 2 stage for most snowfalls and the size i.e. slightly larger than and lawnmover and doesnt take much space in my garage.

when i was buying it really came down to toro, honda and ariens. i chose the ariens b/c it was 2 more hp for the same price as a 5hp toro. it a great machine but would have no hesitation buying the toro or honda. from what i recal the honda are 4 cycle vs 2 cycle.
I think I'm just about sold on the 927 LE, with the discount, it's even lower than HD USA and it's a very sturdy machine (I just came back from HD).

Anyone know if they sell extended warranty at HD? ANd is it worth it on a snowblower?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5258 posts
2619 upvotes
Ottawa
Well, we all have different snow removal needs, don't we? Living near Ottawa and having a long drive a large section over 30' wide, I need to throw quantity of snow for a distance. For me, nothing much under 10 hp and 2 stage will do. I certainly wouldn't attack anything more severe than a Vancouver or mild Toronto winter with the machine posted by the OP.

Also, I have to disagree with a previous poster on Craftsman - my current Craftsman (now 4 y.o.) is quite good and I'm sure will last me another 10 years before I decide to move to whatever is modern in 2018. I had a POS Canadian Tire MTD 8 hp thingy previously and, while I tired of the myriad of minor repairs (all just superficial things that I could handle myself) it required, it was running (albeit roughly) at 15 y.o. when I gave it to friends (who tuned it and are still using it). Really, there's not much that goes wrong with most snowthrower brands - provided you take care of them.

For those not averse to Sears, I noted that they are also running a pre-season sale - $200 off this model (which is pretty close to the one I am currently running): [url=http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B001EMIT ... =396784011]CRAFTSMAN
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1573 posts
92 upvotes
Collingwood
G-Unit!! wrote: I think I'm just about sold on the 927 LE, with the discount, it's even lower than HD USA and it's a very sturdy machine (I just came back from HD).

Anyone know if they sell extended warranty at HD? ANd is it worth it on a snowblower?
Anybody have any idea if this blower will go down to this price again in the next couple months?
Nov 21, 2004
563 posts
37 upvotes
voided wrote: Anybody have any idea if this blower will go down to this price again in the next couple months?
I was doing my reading from another threadhttp://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=503484

Looks like there were 2 sales in November 2007 at HD.
One in early November ($150 gift card - not sure what the threshold is in order to get the GC - I think it's >$1000)

Later in November, there was a 15% off sale.

This Ariens is still a better deal ($1149*15% = $173). The discount this week is $250.

Not sure if there were other snowblower deals last year. I'd like to know as well.
Dec 6, 2005
210 posts
How good is the Ariens? Does it compare to a Craftsman or Honda? 9.5 Hp seems a little low.

I live in newfoundland and we get tons of snow, and lots of hard stuff at the end of the driveway.
Mar 8, 2006
488 posts
65 upvotes
Montreal
G-Unit!! wrote: No, it's the 927 LE http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stor ... PartNumber.

Surprisingly, it's cheaper than HD (USA) after the discount. Rarely see that around.

Intravino - do you find it difficult to service Ariens? I've been reading forums here and there saying Toro is much better for servicing since there are many retail stores around. Thoughts?

thx

Here in Quebec, there are more Ariens service centers then Toro.

Toro is great snowblower also, their Joystick that controls the chute is pretty cool and handy.

Toro single stage unit are great also, better then Ariens Single stage.

But the problem for me with Toro SB is the price. There are about 20-30 % more then Ariens.

Simplicity is a very good brand also but very very pricey.

Craftsman: You could get a good one like the previous poster because some are made by different manufacturers but most are junk made by Murray, the extreme low end in SB. Overall, Craftsman Lawnmower are much better then their SB.

As for Honda, I really don't like their track system. I like better wheels and tires.

Intravino
Aug 6, 2004
645 posts
38 upvotes
Winnipeg
I have a 10.5 HP Ariens, and it cuts through 3 foot drifts like butter. It also has little problems moving the heavy stuff left behind by the plow.

The last blizzard my neighbor had an important Dr's appointment the following morning. I cleaned his driveway, and the street all the way down to the main plowed artery (1500') in less than a 1/2 hour.
Aug 12, 2005
146 posts
7 upvotes
Mississauga
In general, Ariens is a pretty good brand when compared to Craftsman and MTD. Parts availability is also very good for Ariens where parts are still available for 20 and 30 years old snow thrower. As for reliability, if the machine is maintained, it should serve well for many years and this goes for the other brands too. I sold my single stage MTD snow thrower recently and will pickup a 2 stage soon. Although the single stage can handle end-of-driveway (EOD) snow from the city plough, it takes patience to clear it. The HD $899 sale for a 9HP Ariens is a very good deal but unfortunately I have 2 cars in the garage and it will not fit. The Ariens 624E is what I'm looking for but too bad it is not on sale, otherwise I'll jump on it. I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer to see if HD have another sale.
Have anyone had problems with EOD snow with either Ariens 520E or 624E?
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
1125 posts
202 upvotes
Ontario
I have a 30 yr. old ariens similar to the one posted, and its an 8 hp snowblower. Trust me when I say there is ample power to clear 10 ft. banks in barrie. With slushy icey snow you will have problems with any snoblower. The key is to do it before it gets too liquidy. I was still able to clear slush. Its also in your technique in clearing snow. Don't pile it up in one area. Distribute the snow to reduce bank heights.