Expired Hot Deals

Snowblower/Snowthrower Watch 2017-2018

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2019 10:39 am
Tags:
Nov 21, 2011
89 posts
188 upvotes
Everyone seems to hate on electric snow blowers, but for the kind of snow we get here in Toronto are they good enough to do the job? Like talking about at most 10 inches of snow on a 2 by 1 car driveway
Jul 7, 2015
67 posts
9 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
FrugalFrites wrote: Thanks for the info!
How do I qualify for "no tax"?
Hi, if I am not wrong Lowes no tax event was only for November 10 and 11 and its already gone.
Mar 4, 2018
122 posts
325 upvotes
Hoping someone can help me out. I live in the Newmarket area with a 4-5 car driveway, and am looking for a snow blower.
Based on what I've read, Cub Cadet, Toro or Ariens are the more reliable brands on the market.
Also, based off of what I've read, I will likely need a single stage unit.

Does anybody have any recommendations?
I was looking at the Toro 518ZE vs 518ZR vs 721E, thoughts?

Thanks RFDers
Frugal Fries - but en français
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18059 posts
5908 upvotes
London
FrugalFrites wrote: Hoping someone can help me out. I live in the Newmarket area with a 4-5 car driveway, and am looking for a snow blower.
Based on what I've read, Cub Cadet, Toro or Ariens are the more reliable brands on the market.

Thanks RFDers
Toro 721e is the defacto / goto blower for most people, but it really depends on how big the snow plow windrow is at the bottom of your driveway and how soon you get to it (frozen/icy vs fresh)
Nov 22, 2010
90 posts
60 upvotes
Will the Toro 721e be able to handle the city snow banks?
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18059 posts
5908 upvotes
London
wzzcivic wrote: Will the Toro 721e be able to handle the city snow banks?
1) How big a bank (snow plow windrow)?
2) how long do you let it sit? (Frozen vs fresh)

At a place I used to live, it was near a curve. As the plow turned into the curve, the entire snow load would come off the blade and dump across the driveway. To make matters worse, it was a wide street so it was usually a wing back plow so it’s pushing twice the snow load . I’d have 3 ft high banks that were wide so this is two stage territory
Feb 25, 2007
306 posts
175 upvotes
Was in the market for a new snowblower for our new place. Ended up grabbing a Honda HS720c. Supposedly legendary reliability. I didn’t need a two stage. Cost me $799 plus $40 pdi plus HST. Signed up for Ducks Unlimited Canada with $35 donation in store and was given an additional $100 off (seems to be a general deal with Honda Power Equipment). Called a few stores, the freight and PDI seems to vary a bit.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5332 posts
2832 upvotes
Toronto
wzzcivic wrote: Will the Toro 721e be able to handle the city snow banks?
Heavy slush and frozen hard are tough on any blower. Sometimes I'll cut into a high or heavy windrow with a shovel pulling the snow down, run the blower over what I pulled down and repeat.
If you are on a main street or bus / school bus route, chances are you will get more salt than other areas of the city. If it gets too much, that's when a "sled" shovel comes in handy.

I watched my know it all neighbour burn his new 2 stage up in puffs of blue smoke trying to ram through a windrow. While i was able to clear mine with a smaller 18" single stage Toro. A lot of it is technique, not doing a full width swath goes a long way when handling the heavy stuff.

Think of it like cutting the grass. If you let the grass get too long and try to cut it when it is damp, your lawnmower will bog down and maybe stall. Do a 1/2 blade width or less and you can get the job done.
Apr 3, 2018
207 posts
151 upvotes
Looks like Walmart won't have SB in store this year. That's means no more cheap SB at end of season.Confounded Face
Jan 21, 2017
389 posts
258 upvotes
I just ordered a snowblower online from Lowe's and was told that the return policy is 30 days if unused. No return if used.

How is it that I read people buying snowblowers from Lowe's and returning them after trying them out and not being satisfied with their performance?
Jul 17, 2010
321 posts
360 upvotes
My 6-car driveway has 10 degree incline. There was about 4 inches of slushy snow this morning. Tried two new snow blowers first time. A 196cc Powersmart Single Stage and a 208cc Cub Cadet Two Stage.

Cub Cadet 208cc Two Stage Snow Blower
Pro:
Throws slush 20 feet away, including 8 inch slush at EOD.
It has no problem with going up the icy incline.
Con:
Difficult to maneuver on incline, even with power steering.
Doesn’t clear down to the pavement.

Powersmart 196cc Single Stage
Pro:
Much faster than the two stage. Cleared my 6-car driveway under 10 minutes.
The rubber augers generates enough propulsion up the incline.
Clear down to the pavement.
Light and easy to maneuver.
Con:
Doesn’t do well with uneven surface, like curb at EOD. Tiny wheels.
Throws wet snow 6 feet, but only 2 feet for slush. It throws just far enough to clear the snowblower. Did not clog.

Overall, the single stage performed better than the two stage. I am very impressed with the single stage even though it only cost $200 new. It cleared snow so fast by the time I switched to the 2 stage, only small patches left.
Last edited by bundy5555 on Nov 16th, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nov 22, 2010
90 posts
60 upvotes
bundy5555 wrote: My driveway is a 2 car wide and 3 car deep with 10 degree incline. There was about 4 inches of slushy snow accumulation in my area this morning. Tried two new snow blowers first time. A 196cc Powersmart Single Stage Snow blower and a 208cc Cub Cadet Two Stage Snow Blower.

Cub Cadet 208cc Two Stage Snow Blower
Pro:
Throw the slush 20 feet away, including the 8 inch slush at EOD left by the city plow.
It has no problem going up the incline, even with icy surface.
Con:
Difficult to maneuver on incline, even with power steering. Especially the tight corner around the car.
Doesn’t clear down to the pavement.

Powersmart 196cc Single Stage
Pro:
Much faster than the two stage. Cleared my 6-car driveway under 10 minutes.
The rubber augers generates enough propulsion up the incline.
Clear down to the pavement.
Light and easy to maneuver.
Con:
Doesn’t do well with uneven surface, like curb at EOD. Tiny wheels.
Throws wet snow 6 feet, but only 2 feet for slush. It throws just far enough to clear the snowblower.

Overall, the single stage performed better than the two stage.
My Neighbour uses a Toro single stage and said it works better than a two stage ONLY if you know what you are doing. He cleared my snow bank with ease last year but had to go in and out and not with one push or else it will die. I am still researching and waiting for a deal to come by. Too bad I missed the June sale.
Nov 30, 2015
432 posts
225 upvotes
GTA, ON
FrugalFrites wrote: Hoping someone can help me out. I live in the Newmarket area with a 4-5 car driveway, and am looking for a snow blower.

Thanks RFDers
I used my new Toro 721E for the first time today and was quite impressed with the performance on wet snow for a 4-car driveway. The cleaning to bare pavement was impeccable. The propulsion from the rubber scoop was fast paced and maybe even a bit too fast for an old guy. Would be nice if it had a more quiet muffler.

Did it throw today's heavy wet snow 10 feet? No, but it had no trouble scooping it up again and throwing at least 6 feet with the discharge chute turned sideways ( a big plus). I have used a Craftsman 800-22 single-stage that cannot throw wet snow with the chute sideways. There was no big end of driveway pile up to test it on this time.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5332 posts
2832 upvotes
Toronto
lazybummer wrote: I used my new Toro 721E for the first time today
The propulsion from the rubber scoop was fast paced and maybe even a bit too fast for an old guy.
There is a bit of a learning curve to control the speed. If it is going too fast, push down on the handle a bit, too slow lift up a bit. If you have ever watched or tried using one of those commercial floor polishers you will get the idea. The floor polisher changes direction from side to side. Maybe a better analogy would be a belt sander for pressure to pull.
You don't need much, what you are essential doing is altering the pressure of the paddle to the ground.

ON EDIT: adding tip for deep snow or EOD. Push down on the handle to lift the paddles, move the blower forward and let the paddle slowly drop until you hit ground and it wants to move forward. Repeat as you go along. Much like cutting tall grass, push down on the handle to lift the mower blade and let the blade progressively cut the grass shorter as you let the handle come up.
Apr 19, 2018
350 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough
It was only for 1 day. Maybe try calling in. I also got a $25 discount code at checkout.
Don't worry be happy - Bob

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)