• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2020 11:17 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15671 posts
4735 upvotes
London
kaka55 wrote: Thanks so its good to have a shear pin to avoid serious damage and its good to not have to replace one on the Toro snowblowers because they are so awesome.
In a perfect world.

My buddy was blowing using a big 2 stage on an interlock brick driveway. The driveway had heaved slightly during winter. The scraper on the blower caught the raised edge of an interlocking brick, popping it right out of the driveway. Of course, the brick got sucked into the machine jamming the auger and snapping the shear bolts. Even though the shear bolt did break, the auger, the blower housing and even the auger shaft all bent. It took about a month to fix the damage.
Sep 21, 2003
600 posts
129 upvotes
Waterloo, Ontario
Any thoughts on Honda 720C vs. Toro 721 QZE? I've been planning to purchase the Toro since last season, but right when I was ready to order, I came across the Honda. They're essentially the same price right now, and quite similar in specs. The Honda has full chute controls, but a slightly lower power engine and narrower clearing path. On the other hand, it has easier access to maintenance components, nice features like a fuel shut-off, and I've been very happy with my Honda lawnmower. They both seem to have excellent reputations for commercial use, so I'm sure they're pretty reliable. Over on snowblowerforum.com it seems like most people end up with the Honda when they ask this question, so it's kind of throwing me for a loop.
"My fellow Americans, these are not the droids the nation is looking for."
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15671 posts
4735 upvotes
London
Bob_McBob wrote: Any thoughts on Honda 720C vs. Toro 721 QZE? I've been planning to purchase the Toro since last season, but right when I was ready to order, I came across the Honda. They're essentially the same price right now, and quite similar in specs. The Honda has full chute controls, but a slightly lower power engine and narrower clearing path. On the other hand, it has easier access to maintenance components, nice features like a fuel shut-off, and I've been very happy with my Honda lawnmower. They both seem to have excellent reputations for commercial use, so I'm sure they're pretty reliable. Over on snowblowerforum.com it seems like most people end up with the Honda when they ask this question, so it's kind of throwing me for a loop.
Three things to note:
1) Toro has switched to a new body style which apparently improves maintenance access. You still can occasional find the old body style being cleared out by dealers at about $150 less
https://movingsnow.com/2019/the-best-si ... e%20engine.

2) Toro now has the option for a bigger engine (252cc) in the 821 QZE (vs. 212 cc in the 721) although at a higher price.

As an interesting side note, The lineage of the Toro engines is actually from Honda. The patent on the Honda GX commercial engines expired, so the design was widely cloned/ copied by chinese manufacturers. Loncin manufactures to the Toro engines

3) Honda charges extra for PDI/ Freight above the advertised price, although Honda does have occasional promotions.

The main difference is in the auger design - the toro design has more "pull" or "self propel" vs. the Honda due to there's more rubber in contact, but they both seem to work . Given that you already have a Honda mower, I would tend towards a Honda snowblower (however the Toro engine shares many similarities due to their shared lineage)
Sep 21, 2003
600 posts
129 upvotes
Waterloo, Ontario
I decided against the 821 QZE because it's not worth the extra cost to me, so I would definitely be getting either the 720C or 721 QZE. I did realize about the Honda freight & PDI, but at the time I posted they were both ~$890 plus tax with current promos, though unfortunately Home Depot has now raised the price of the Toro to $929. From what I gather in the manual, you still need to remove the entire housing to access things like the spark plug in the current Toro models, though that isn't a huge concern. I guess it mostly comes down to whether I prefer features like full chute control, or a bit more power and clearing width plus the stronger self-propelling of the Toro.
"My fellow Americans, these are not the droids the nation is looking for."
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15671 posts
4735 upvotes
London
Bob_McBob wrote: I decided against the 821 QZE because it's not worth the extra cost to me, so I would definitely be getting either the 720C or 721 QZE. I did realize about the Honda freight & PDI, but at the time I posted they were both ~$890 plus tax with current promos, though unfortunately Home Depot has now raised the price of the Toro to $929. From what I gather in the manual, you still need to remove the entire housing to access things like the spark plug in the current Toro models, though that isn't a huge concern. I guess it mostly comes down to whether I prefer features like full chute control, or a bit more power and clearing width plus the stronger self-propelling of the Toro.
Looking at the toro website, it appears that the manual is for the old 721e body style, not the new body style

The new style is identical to the 821QZE, where the spark plug is accessible from the back

https://www.toro.com/getpub/170496
toro.jpg
Mar 2, 2009
500 posts
233 upvotes
What is the best corded snow-blower that could deal with 3-car driveway?
(Generally I manage to clear the snow quickly after it falls, so don't need a snowblower than can chew ice.)
Oct 20, 2010
121 posts
32 upvotes
BC
Hi, I'm trying to choose between the Snow Joe SJ620 and Snow Joe SJ619E, which one is better?

SJ619E:
- has LED light
- 14.5 amp motor
- 2 blade auger
- center mounted switch

SJ620
- 13.5 amp motor
- 4 blade auger
- side mounted switch

Based on videos, SJ619E also seems to have better wheels, I can't say for sure though.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
6442 posts
2340 upvotes
GTA
Bob_McBob wrote: I decided against the 821 QZE because it's not worth the extra cost to me, so I would definitely be getting either the 720C or 721 QZE. I did realize about the Honda freight & PDI, but at the time I posted they were both ~$890 plus tax with current promos, though unfortunately Home Depot has now raised the price of the Toro to $929. From what I gather in the manual, you still need to remove the entire housing to access things like the spark plug in the current Toro models, though that isn't a huge concern. I guess it mostly comes down to whether I prefer features like full chute control, or a bit more power and clearing width plus the stronger self-propelling of the Toro.
Those two options are probably the most important if you have settled on a toro. I don't know how much of a problem the chute control will be as i have not used either yet - but depending on where you are and what kind of clearing you need the 721QZE vs 721R is what it boils down to.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15671 posts
4735 upvotes
London
gillbates wrote: Hi, I'm trying to choose between the Snow Joe SJ620 and Snow Joe SJ619E, which one is better?

SJ619E:
- has LED light
- 14.5 amp motor
- 2 blade auger
- center mounted switch

SJ620
- 13.5 amp motor
- 4 blade auger
- side mounted switch

Based on videos, SJ619E also seems to have better wheels, I can't say for sure though.
Both are rated by snow joe at 650 lbs/ min capacity.
The single most important thing about corded blowers is a 12 gauge extension cord that remains flexible at low temperatures.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15671 posts
4735 upvotes
London
derdev wrote: What is the best corded snow-blower that could deal with 3-car driveway?
(Generally I manage to clear the snow quickly after it falls, so don't need a snowblower than can chew ice.)
While there's no time machine, i'd wait for a decent cordless deal at the end of season assuming you are OK with the battery ecosystem for that brand. The well rated Greenworks 22" 80V was cleared out by Costco for $299 a couple of seasons back and Lowes cleared out the almost identical Kobalt 22" 80V for $279 this year

I haven't kept track on what the Ego sale at Home Depot is like currently, check that thread out in hot deals
Mar 2, 2009
500 posts
233 upvotes
l69norm wrote: While there's no time machine, i'd wait for a decent cordless deal at the end of season assuming you are OK with the battery ecosystem for that brand. The well rated Greenworks 22" 80V was cleared out by Costco for $299 a couple of seasons back and Lowes cleared out the almost identical Kobalt 22" 80V for $279 this year

I haven't kept track on what the Ego sale at Home Depot is like currently, check that thread out in hot deals
Thanks for the info.

My main concern is battery degradation over time, especially considering that these batteries represent a significant part of the cost.

I am not sure I have use for a 80V batter after winter. My mower is corded, not sure what other tools would require such big battery.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5797 posts
5392 upvotes
derdev wrote: Thanks for the info.

My main concern is battery degradation over time, especially considering that these batteries represent a significant part of the cost.

I am not sure I have use for a 80V batter after winter. My mower is corded, not sure what other tools would require such big battery.
Lithium Ion batteries, like most rechargeable cells, degrade MOSTLY from cycles of charge.

Considering a typical number of total cycles for a Lithium Ion battery is 500 or more lifetime, I don't think you have much to worry about. After all: how often do you plan to recharge your snowblower?

If you use it 50 times a year (which is IMHO probably ALOT) that means you've got several years before you notice much degradation.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15671 posts
4735 upvotes
London
derdev wrote: Thanks for the info.
The main ones would be mower, leaf blower and chainsaw. There are battery rebuilders out there:
http://www.chansbattery.ca/lawn-care-ba ... build.html

Depending on your location and snowfall amounts, corded electric might not be suitable
Jan 16, 2016
79 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Was just about to pull the trigger on Toro 721 QZE from homedepot. Looks like free parcel shipping isn't available anymore. Next best is $60 shipping. I might hold back.

Anyone know if there are cheaper places? HD has it for $929 right now.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
6442 posts
2340 upvotes
GTA
penguin1234 wrote: Was just about to pull the trigger on Toro 721 QZE from homedepot. Looks like free parcel shipping isn't available anymore. Next best is $60 shipping. I might hold back.

Anyone know if there are cheaper places? HD has it for $929 right now.
You can try to price match it here (equipment express).