Shopping Discussion

so........4 those who lined up on b-day... did any1 ACTUALLY WIN a $500 GC????

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2004 11:16 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes

so........4 those who lined up on b-day... did any1 ACTUALLY WIN a $500 GC????

heck.... did any1 even SEE a BB employee hand out the $500 GC to a winner???

i'm wondering if this is a scam just to attract customers to line up at 4 or 5 am in the morning just to have a "chance" to win .... :confused:

i didn't bother with the line up.... BB is half way across the city from my house so im just like "screw it".... rather go to FS which is 10 minutes drive .... :D

MJM ;)
23 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
spike-spiegel wrote:Last year, I was in line and I remember a BB employee giving the winner the gift certificate. Lucky guy...
----------------

NEW BB opened at my place last yr... except its 1/2 way across the city from me :evil: ...... but i didn't got to boxing day sale line up.... so i don't know how they "picked out" a winner....

was this random draw or.... how did this REALLY work???

just curious....

MJM ;)
MJM
- MJ = mahjong - a chinese game involving LOTS of strategy/skills and the smarts to win!
- M = maniac - just simply CRAZY about this game... i'd play it 24/7 if i had the time!

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'... here... I'll be waiting... for you... so if you come here... you'll find me... I promise..." - FF VIII - FAN of the FF series ever since the beginning.

PEPSI IPOD WINNER on xmas.... what a SWEET christmas present!
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2004
4258 posts
49 upvotes
Reminds me of that $20,000 shopping spree contest Bestbuy had on their website, where in the rules it said, they'd announce the winner on a selected radio station which you had to listen to at a specific time and call back within a few days or else you'd lose it. The problem was, they never told you which radio station it was! It wasn't posted in the rules, on the site or anywhere else.
What a scam, I doubt anyone won :confused:
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2003
2477 posts
326 upvotes
Wildfire wrote:Reminds me of that $20,000 shopping spree contest Bestbuy had on their website, where in the rules it said, they'd announce the winner on a selected radio station which you had to listen to at a specific time and call back within a few days or else you'd lose it. The problem was, they never told you which radio station it was! It wasn't posted in the rules, on the site or anywhere else.
LoL... that's hilarious.

One, you had to be picked.
Two, you had to be a listener on a particular unknown radio station.
Three, you had to be listening at the exact unknown moment it was to be announced.

Awesome.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2004
4258 posts
49 upvotes
InvisibleSoul wrote:LoL... that's hilarious.

One, you had to be picked.
Two, you had to be a listener on a particular unknown radio station.
Three, you had to be listening at the exact unknown moment it was to be announced.

Awesome.
Pretty much...you summed it all up right there...What a scam. They wouldn't email you or even call you, you had to listen to the unidentified station. I'm sure they profited a fair bit from all the free customer data they compiled from entries..

FYI, here's a thread about the contest:
showthread.php?t=112205&page=1&pp=40&hi ... bestbuy.ca
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
3115 posts
804 upvotes
Toronto
At the Scarborough BB... basically the GM ran out 15min before the store opening and gave some random person in line the $500 GC. Should have just gave out 50 x $10 to make lots more ppl happy.
Feb 12, 2003
173 posts
Toronto/Waterloo
mahjongmaniac wrote: was this random draw or.... how did this REALLY work???
You got a raffle ticket w/ a #... and the winner ended up being the 5th person in line.
Nov 23, 2002
546 posts
62 upvotes
Vancouver
i almost won, the 3rd person behind me won.....so close
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
Wildfire wrote:Reminds me of that $20,000 shopping spree contest Bestbuy had on their website, where in the rules it said, they'd announce the winner on a selected radio station which you had to listen to at a specific time and call back within a few days or else you'd lose it. The problem was, they never told you which radio station it was! It wasn't posted in the rules, on the site or anywhere else.
----------------------------------------

yah... thats the whole point to this post.... to see if BB is making another scam again...

welll according to what other RFDers have stated, i guess it wasn't a scam.....

but as for the $20k shopping spree, thats so much BS..... up to this point, i don't think ANYONE won it....
MJM
- MJ = mahjong - a chinese game involving LOTS of strategy/skills and the smarts to win!
- M = maniac - just simply CRAZY about this game... i'd play it 24/7 if i had the time!

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'... here... I'll be waiting... for you... so if you come here... you'll find me... I promise..." - FF VIII - FAN of the FF series ever since the beginning.

[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
thedon wrote:i almost won, the 3rd person behind me won.....so close
-----------------

were u the ONLY one in line.... well, guess u were just OOL :lol:

prbly u should've brought ur ENTIRE family with u... then u get higher chances of winning! :cheesygri

btw, since u stated that the 3rd person behind u won, then yah....u REALLY should've bought ur whole family with u!
MJM

Banned
Aug 3, 2004
1888 posts
mahjongmaniac wrote:----------------------------------------

yah... thats the whole point to this post.... to see if BB is making another scam again...

welll according to what other RFDers have stated, i guess it wasn't a scam.....

but as for the $20k shopping spree, thats so much BS..... up to this point, i don't think ANYONE won it....

how will this thread determine if there is any winner? the winner does not necessary have to be a RFD member..
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
dtcanada wrote:how will this thread determine if there is any winner? the winner does not necessary have to be a RFD member..
--------------------

i just wanted to see that, for any RFDer that went to lineup outside BB during boxing day, if they actually won a $500 GC OR if they actually had witnessed somebody winning..... that's all
MJM

Dec 28, 2002
970 posts
1 upvote
damn isnt that dangerous

handing out $500 to a person in line filled with hundreds of ppl

right when that $500 giftcard is into the hands of some unknown person i can imaging quite a few ppl jumping onto that person n getting the card n running

lol has that ever happened
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
15996 posts
2301 upvotes
GTA
speaking of scams... did anyone hear about the BB at Hwy 7 and Weston giving the first 100 customers in line, 50% off anything in the store?

I heard this from a friend... who heard it from his friend... who heard it from his friend's father who is the BB's owner.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
actng wrote:speaking of scams... did anyone hear about the BB at Hwy 7 and Weston giving the first 100 customers in line, 50% off anything in the store?

I heard this from a friend... who heard it from his friend... who heard it from his friend's father who is the BB's owner.
-------------------

LOL... r u jokin?? :lol:

stuff like this can really only be 1/2 true.... for "words" that get passed on from a friend to another friend to another friend and so on, ppl usually "make up" other stuff along the line.... :lol:

but if that was true.... then that'd be a SWEET deal... :) .... but i HIGHLY doubt it.... :rolleyes:
MJM

Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
15996 posts
2301 upvotes
GTA
actually i don't know if it was for real. the good news is that I got the relationship wrong. my friend heard from his friend who is the son of that BB's owner.

the thing is... i didn't think BBs were independently owned!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7234 posts
2027 upvotes
T dot 6
Kinki wrote:basically the GM ran out 15min before the store opening and gave some random person in line the $500 GC.
Hmmm....that doesnt sound very fair. For all anyone knows, he just handed it to his brother in law or something.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11645 posts
506 upvotes
Jaytee wrote:Hmmm....that doesnt sound very fair. For all anyone knows, he just handed it to his brother in law or something.
Yeah, like an earlier poster said, everyone should get a GC... because you're all stars if you're shopping at Best Buy.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
mbg wrote:Yeah, like an earlier poster said, everyone should get a GC... because you're all stars if you're shopping at Best Buy.
-------------

yah... those who lined up on b-day at BB DOES deserve GCs.... especially if u had to wait in the cold&snow, and all other kinds of crappy weather! (at least those were the b-day weather conditions at my location!)
MJM