Real Estate

So condo management can entry our units without permision?pls help.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2015 1:51 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Sep 5, 2015
30 posts
1 upvote
Markham, ON

So condo management can entry our units without permision?pls help.

I moved into a new condo eariler this year.
We just got a notice at our doorsteps for the whole floor, saying that the management team will have people entrying my unit next Monday or Tuesday day time to inspect the balcony too see if it needs any touch up, and ask we disarm the alarm.

So is this mandatory? is it legal? it isnt even asking for our permission....
I really dont like people coming into my place, especially they are coming in when i am at work and no one at home.
so if we are in vacation, and not getting the notice(which is quite possible since its only 2 days away), so would they just come in regardless?
It doesnt sound right to me... Can I refuse to let them in?
28 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12964 posts
1420 upvotes
What specifically is your issue with them entering after giving you notice?
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
FS: Acer Predator G1-710 Gaming PC
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2004
1603 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
balcony is probably common area

I know for my parents townhouse it was common area owned by the corp.
Mar 25, 2015
360 posts
132 upvotes
where fire and disco…
when you purchased your condo you should have received a package of the hoa rules and regs
the answers you seek are there

usually it is 72 hours notice
Dec 9, 2013
729 posts
657 upvotes
Toronto
Lol if you dont like that, then you shouldnt live in a condo. They will come into your unit multiple times a year for: annual fire alarm testing, air/heating unit cleaning twice a year, dryer duct cleaning every couple of years, any other maintenance issues...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6308 posts
1463 upvotes
Montreal
This is very normal. We have visits to every condo at a minimum once per year to test that the heat sensors in every condo still works properly for the fire alarm system. At the same time, we often also check for other items that come up like balcony railings that might need painting or whatever.

About 10 years ago, a hose to the air conditioning unit that connected to the cooling tower in one condo burst and caused all sorts of damage. We did an inspection and found another 10 hoses that had bubbles and were getting ready to burst. From that we decided that all the hoses in all 200 condos should be changed. There were 2 hoses per condo so 400 hoses total. The resident would be forewarned but if they were at work or whatever, we would enter and make the switch without them being there. We would never enter alone however. There would always be 2 people.

Our DCO also specifies that the administration must be given a key to each condo in case of emergency.
Phils
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
12188 posts
3398 upvotes
It's normal as long as the property manager and staff accompany the contractors.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1829 posts
260 upvotes
Markham
What's the big issue? Balconies are common area. If you have been paying maintenance fees then appreciate the fact the property manager and board are doing their job, and determine upkeep requirements if any.
Check the package you received when you took pocession. There is no question in my eyes it's in there that they need access once in a while. Even if you change your locks, they will need a copy of the key if it is not on the master key program.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2741 posts
147 upvotes
Peterborough
As long as the service guys doing the work aren't PC candidates who will misuse your coffee mugs, you should be okay.

http://www.ontario.ca/page/condo-owner- ... sibilities

Access to your unit isn't something that shouldn't happen too often, so I wouldn't sweat it. Set up a webcam/recorder if you're worried.
[OP]
Banned
Sep 5, 2015
30 posts
1 upvote
Markham, ON
umm.. sorry guys im new to the country so i dont really know how things are.

But I really dont feel comfortable with people entering my place while im not around.. so any other way to do this? can they inspect from my neighbors balcony? we share the same balcony with just a glass in the middle.
Oct 9, 2014
397 posts
49 upvotes
Winterpeg
majrysiw wrote: umm.. sorry guys im new to the country so i dont really know how things are.

But I really dont feel comfortable with people entering my place while im not around.. so any other way to do this? can they inspect from my neighbors balcony? we share the same balcony with just a glass in the middle.
if you're that worried set up some cameras or make sure someone's home when they come by
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2741 posts
147 upvotes
Peterborough
majrysiw wrote: umm.. sorry guys im new to the country so i dont really know how things are.

Nope. Wouldn't meet the inspection standard. Bonus points for throwing your neighbour under the bus and expecting them to comply while you skip your responsibility. Tsk.

It's just part of life in that type of housing.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
28886 posts
4610 upvotes
Montreal
Phils wrote:
Our DCO also specifies that the administration must be given a key to each condo in case of emergency.
Interesting. Our condo admin did not have keys to individual units.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4230 posts
2237 upvotes
Toronto

It's the rules, so there's nothing you can do. You really should have read the condo bylaws before moving in, there's no excuse for complaining now.

If you don't feel comfortable with it, then you should move to someplace where people don't need to enter your home for any reason.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
22751 posts
10579 upvotes
Toronto
In Toronto, most "entries" into your condo will be very official / civilized. They will knock, they will wait. They will open the door, say hello a few times (making sure no one is home sleeping / showering).
Best thing you can do is try to be home if you're that afraid but honestly, your home is probably on a list of 10 other places they need to see (making up a number here) and they really could care less. It's get in, check, get out.

Unfortunately, your ownership is shared within the condo building itself. It's not like owning a house.
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2010
2764 posts
181 upvotes

Comfort is a killer for moving ahead in life just like being resistant to change. Just deal with it, eventually become comfortable and move on.
[OP]
Banned
Sep 5, 2015
30 posts
1 upvote
Markham, ON
DaVibe wrote: In Toronto, most "entries" into your condo will be very official / civilized. They will knock, they will wait. They will open the door, say hello a few times (making sure no one is home sleeping / showering).
Best thing you can do is try to be home if you're that afraid but honestly, your home is probably on a list of 10 other places they need to see (making up a number here) and they really could care less. It's get in, check, get out.

Unfortunately, your ownership is shared within the condo building itself. It's not like owning a house.
It's just because I am a neat freak, and really uncomfortable with people coming in my place...
I don't even have my friends come over because of that, let alone the contractors..
I hope you can understand...
Oct 5, 2006
624 posts
468 upvotes
Winnipeg
if it's part of the condo program/policy there really is nothing you can do about it. these maintenance works are there to ensure the integrity of the building and your personal safety and investment as well.

there are things you can do to protect yourself, like putting away (hide/lock) expensive stuff like jewery and electronics. you can also put down floor protection paper or plastic to keep your floor/carpet clean. that one irks me personally when i give them permission and I come home and see dirty foot prints on the floor, but it's just a part being a condo community. what you bought is a shared property and the management has the right (within the limits given by the condo association) to maintain proper up keeps.
[OP]
Banned
Sep 5, 2015
30 posts
1 upvote
Markham, ON
Capricornxs wrote: if it's part of the condo program/policy there really is nothing you can do about it. these maintenance works are there to ensure the integrity of the building and your personal safety and investment as well.

there are things you can do to protect yourself, like putting away (hide/lock) expensive stuff like jewery and electronics. you can also put down floor protection paper or plastic to keep your floor/carpet clean. that one irks me personally when i give them permission and I come home and see dirty foot prints on the floor, but it's just a part being a condo community. what you bought is a shared property and the management has the right (within the limits given by the condo association) to maintain proper up keeps.
The experience that you have is what exactly i am worried about. I am a quite germaphobe guy, I have extremely uncomfortable feeling about people coming into my house that could soil my place... I really hope there's accommodation can be made.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1599 posts
617 upvotes
Toronto
While I can understand how unsettling it is to have someone in your domicile without you being there, unfortunately the other posters are right. You've bought into a shared community and be prepared, this will not be the last time that they enter your suite. It happens a few times every few months. Some check balconies, some check fire alarm, some check sprinklers, some check the hvac.

I set up a security camera to activate whenever I leave so that I can always see what they are doing or touching. Once I saw the security guard walking around the halls when he was supposed to be with the contractor at all times. And he was wayyyy down at the other end of the condo. After that I went out and bought the camera. $300 is worth the piece of mind in my opinion

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)