Computers & Electronics

So are decent videocards just basically completely unavailable?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2021 10:32 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5289 posts
2940 upvotes
GTA

So are decent videocards just basically completely unavailable?

Being out of the pc building game for a while now, I don't pay much attention to the hardware game anymore.

But a younger brother's RTX 2070 might be dying so if there's nothing out there, I'll have to force him to use onboard video for the foreseeable future. I believe the onboard chip is an Intel UHD 630 and he uses an older Dell monitor that runs at 1920x1200 natively I believe

The 2070 just seemingly crashes randomly in Win10 no matter what driver I use, forcing the system to reboot. And sometimes having to reinstall the nvidia drivers completely to get it working properly again before it crashes the next time.

Or I'd appreciate if there any other recommendations. He doesn't even need the latest and greatest so I don't even care about the 3000 series.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4903 posts
1942 upvotes
Yes.. unfortunately stock of any decent video cards have been pretty scarce since January. With Crypto prices creeping back up stock is drying up again after seemingly turning the corner in July. Best to get your self on some back order list from Canada Computers or Memory express. Forget about trying to get a 3080 or 3060ti. Aim for a plain 3060 or 3070. Keep eye out for Best buy blog as well for their in store drops.

You can't even get a 2000 series really.. unless its a 2060. But its not that great of a deal with most being $500ish.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2324 posts
1293 upvotes
GTA
Dave98 wrote: Being out of the pc building game for a while now, I don't pay much attention to the hardware game anymore.

But a younger brother's RTX 2070 might be dying so if there's nothing out there, I'll have to force him to use onboard video for the foreseeable future. I believe the onboard chip is an Intel UHD 630 and he uses an older Dell monitor that runs at 1920x1200 natively I believe

The 2070 just seemingly crashes randomly in Win10 no matter what driver I use, forcing the system to reboot. And sometimes having to reinstall the nvidia drivers completely to get it working properly again before it crashes the next time.

Or I'd appreciate if there any other recommendations. He doesn't even need the latest and greatest so I don't even care about the 3000 series.
Another option might be (depending on manufacturer) if the RTX 2070 is an aftermarket card, check and see if it has any warranty left on it. Most AIB's offer a (36 months) 3 year warranty from time of purchase, so if your brothers time is not up (purchased after Aug 2018) you can try and claim a warranty and RMA the card. That might also be an option. It's worth a shot. They might refurb the card, give you a new-old stock, or if you're lucky upgrade/offer him a 2070 Super or 3060/3070 card for additional costs, depending on how good their PR is.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3754 posts
2433 upvotes
London
heyyahblah wrote: Another option might be (depending on manufacturer) if the RTX 2070 is an aftermarket card, check and see if it has any warranty left on it. Most AIB's offer a (36 months) 3 year warranty from time of purchase, so if your brothers time is not up (purchased after Aug 2018) you can try and claim a warranty and RMA the card. That might also be an option. It's worth a shot. They might refurb the card, give you a new-old stock, or if you're lucky upgrade/offer him a 2070 Super or 3060/3070 card for additional costs, depending on how good their PR is.
i had to rma my evga 2070 a couple months ago and they swapped it for a 2070 super no charge only thing it cost me was shipping to send the card down to them. was about $20 via netparcel. card was in stock and shipped with in a day or two.

was hoping for a 30 series card but what can u do lol a free upgrade is a free upgrade.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37761 posts
23838 upvotes
Center of Universe
Have to stay up to date with BB drop dates, as that's how I got a 3060ti FE last week.
Also, if you want AMD, cards drop every Thurs on-line.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7467 posts
4091 upvotes
Debtario
Pretty much. I dumped my 1660 at 3x what I paid for it expecting to upgrade to something much better when things settle down. WIth another lockdown looming around the corner I wouldn't get my hopes up, lucky to find anything at MSRP let alone decent deals.

Best bet is to buy a prebuilt system,take out the card, and dump the system on kijiji.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6257 posts
3011 upvotes
Kingston, ON
I’m back PC shopping and this is what I’m seeing too. For cards in stock it’s like 1650 Super for $499, 2060 for $700, better cards unobtanium.

But in pre-builts I can get a whole system with a 1660 Super & i5 for $1,199, or 3060ti & i7 for $1,699. Good for me but sucks for people who only need a card.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5289 posts
2940 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for the suggestions and input.

Like Mike15 said, I feel for the price, I might as well just buy an entirely new pre-built at this point considering some of these prices and just sell the current one for parts.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5241 posts
3933 upvotes
now that a group found a way to mine on nvidia cards there were built with anti-mining safeguards, you will see prices go back up.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14998 posts
11505 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Just get a bundle.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2006
16220 posts
561 upvotes
Mike15 wrote: I’m back PC shopping and this is what I’m seeing too. For cards in stock it’s like 1650 Super for $499, 2060 for $700, better cards unobtanium.

But in pre-builts I can get a whole system with a 1660 Super & i5 for $1,199, or 3060ti & i7 for $1,699. Good for me but sucks for people who only need a card.
Where's the best place to get a pre build?
2013 Contest Win Wishlist
  • Leafs Tickets / iPad / E-Reader / 46" HDTV / PS3 Gaming System / Cash / Guitar / Keurig
Aug 20, 2009
9159 posts
4506 upvotes
I suggest troubleshooting the 2070 if possible because getting a decent videocard right now is almost impossible. I've been queued with eVGA since last year and have a backorder with Mikes that has a decent placement in their "line" and could still take 3-5 months to ship. If you really want something now you have to pay for overpriced bundles or camp out at a Bestbuy on a drop day. I've fixed my 1080ti three times now. If it was me I would just fix the 2070 if at all possible or send it for RMA and you'll probably get a 2070 Super back.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37761 posts
23838 upvotes
Center of Universe
JayTee1 wrote: Where's the best place to get a pre build?
I haven't seen any of the aforementioned at those prices in a while.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4903 posts
1942 upvotes
OP, have you tried using DDU to remove driver before installing driver again? Give that a shot if you havent. Also check if the fans are actually working on the 2070 and the heat sink is not clogged with dust. Can also reformat and re install windows to be certain it's not any other software causing the crash.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5289 posts
2940 upvotes
GTA
Sorry for leaving out the troubleshooting details. I just kind of gave up on it after a while.

First off, it's from an Alienware prebuiild so it's their OEM RTX 2070 with no warranty remaining. Everything seems to work with the card, including the fans. No significant amount of dust or anything. Windows 10 is basically a new install. It was still causing the system to reboot randomly. It'll even go into the Dell Alienware hardware check system with nothing wrong detected. Once it gets into windows, the second monitor connected via HDMI is no longer detected. I have to reinstall the drivers to get it working.

It was just crashing randomly at first but now, the screen has artifacting without doing anything strenuous... just on the desktop doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5241 posts
3933 upvotes
use a gpu utility to figure out the temperatures and try underclocking the video card to see if that fixes it
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6257 posts
3011 upvotes
Kingston, ON
JayTee1 wrote: Where's the best place to get a pre build?
vkizzle wrote: I haven't seen any of the aforementioned at those prices in a while.
I’m not saying Dell is the best place to get a prebuilt… OEM parts, low clock RAM, not the fastest drives, cramped case, 500w PSU, all that. But I have an XPS preemptively sitting in my cart at $1699 for a 3060ti. Found one on Dell.ca at $500 off with a 3060 ($1,599) and upped it to ti for $100 more.

I certainly don’t know anywhere listing cheaper right now for cards like that. Maybe the NewEgg ‘kits’ w card, processor, mobo.