Travel

So I just missed my flight, last minute flight deals?

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2018 8:31 am
[OP]
Aug 16, 2015
209 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto

So I just missed my flight, last minute flight deals?

I got caught up in the massive traffic today in the GTA and missed my flight (SUCKS!). Can you guys help me find some deals. I’m flying out of YYZ going to Cuba (MZO). What are some good sites to find last minute (preferably tomorrow) flights. I wouldn’t even mind a flight + resort deal if it’s under 500$ person ( 2 tickets needed).
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2565 posts
1742 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
TheSandman1 wrote: I got caught up in the massive traffic today in the GTA and missed my flight (SUCKS!). Can you guys help me find some deals. I’m flying out of YYZ going to Cuba (MZO). What are some good sites to find last minute (preferably tomorrow) flights. I wouldn’t even mind a flight + resort deal if it’s under 500$ person ( 2 tickets needed).
All the online tour operators will have the same availability so go to selloffvacations.com or trip central or itravel and see what's left given what airport taxes are I would imagine you will be hard pressed to find something ITC $500 or less.

Only charter airlines like Sunwing and I would assume Cubana offer a place like Manzanillo. So if you need to catch a 1 way flight I would imagine you would have to find another more major airport and get yourself there. In all due respect I imagine at this point a 1 way ticket to Cuba is probably more then what you paid for a package to a place like Manzanillo.
[OP]
Aug 16, 2015
209 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah I just found a one way costs more than the trip itself lol. Looks like a new location it is. Too bad I guess. Selloffvaction is okay are there any other good sites?
BrunetteGirl wrote: All the online tour operators will have the same availability so go to selloffvacations.com or trip central or itravel and see what's left given what airport taxes are I would imagine you will be hard pressed to find something ITC $500 or less.

Only charter airlines like Sunwing and I would assume Cubana offer a place like Manzanillo. So if you need to catch a 1 way flight I would imagine you would have to find another more major airport and get yourself there. In all due respect I imagine at this point a 1 way ticket to Cuba is probably more then what you paid for a package to a place like Manzanillo.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1266 posts
743 upvotes
Ottawa
Sucks, sorry to hear it.

Just double checking you tried to see what your current airline would do for you. In past years, I found that mainline airlines tended to be pretty cooperative if you pleaded your case, even if you had nonrefundable tickets. Sometimes they'd put you on their next flight out, at no charge or just for the change fee ("opening up space in [your] fare bucket"), or at worst charging you the fare increase to the next higher fare ("I can't give you your S fare, but I can get you a W fare for $... more"). However, talking to friends it seemed some never bothered to ask, being convinced they were just out of luck in such a situation. A warning: It is possible this type of unwritten flexibility has evaporated, or is not available on rock bottom fares, these days. And I don't have any experience with charter/low cost airlines.

Also - sounds from your comment ("one way is more expensive than the trip") you are/were trying to buy a separate ticket to "catch up", but then to use the return portion of the original ticket to come back. Make sure you've checked with the airline on that. They will generally purely administratively cancel all remaining segments of your reservation - including the return trip - if you miss one leg, and don't talk to them to explain what's going on and get them to explicitly reinstate it.

Good luck!
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2565 posts
1742 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
TheSandman1 wrote: Yeah I just found a one way costs more than the trip itself lol. Looks like a new location it is. Too bad I guess. Selloffvaction is okay are there any other good sites?
Everyone has the same inventory / same airlines / same access (assuming your looking at an all inclusive vacation package leaving from a major Canadian city). There are no "hidden" deals- rates will be the same across the sites too as they are regulated.

If I'm not mistaken I would think Holguin would be the closest somewhat larger airport. You may want to look into that.
Last edited by BrunetteGirl on May 2nd, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2565 posts
1742 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
houska wrote: Sucks, sorry to hear it.

Just double checking you tried to see what your current airline would do for you. In past years, I found that mainline airlines tended to be pretty cooperative if you pleaded your case, even if you had nonrefundable tickets. Sometimes they'd put you on their next flight out, at no charge or just for the change fee ("opening up space in [your] fare bucket"), or at worst charging you the fare increase to the next higher fare ("I can't give you your S fare, but I can get you a W fare for $... more"). However, talking to friends it seemed some never bothered to ask, being convinced they were just out of luck in such a situation. A warning: It is possible this type of unwritten flexibility has evaporated, or is not available on rock bottom fares, these days. And I don't have any experience with charter/low cost airlines.

Also - sounds from your comment ("one way is more expensive than the trip") you are/were trying to buy a separate ticket to "catch up", but then to use the return portion of the original ticket to come back. Make sure you've checked with the airline on that. They will generally purely administratively cancel all remaining segments of your reservation - including the return trip - if you miss one leg, and don't talk to them to explain what's going on and get them to explicitly reinstate it.

Good luck!
I assume the OP is flying a charter like Sunwing / Transat maybe Cubana. This is a very small airport with a handful of basic resorts nearby and caters to a very budget / no frills / sun & fun demographic (no offence OP). This area is seasonal and/or serviced once a week. The Cuban gov would love to fill their resorts there but even with seasonal/weekly service as a buyer I wouldn't want anything to do with that.

If he does find a flight he would just have to simply call whichever tour operator and they would hold the accomodation / return seat.
[OP]
Aug 16, 2015
209 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
It definitely was a budget trip. Quickie vacation before our first child arrives lol. No offence taken. We ended up buying tickets to Cancun. Thanks all.

BrunetteGirl wrote: I assume the OP is flying a charter like Sunwing / Transat maybe Cubana. This is a very small airport with a handful of basic resorts nearby and caters to a very budget / no frills / sun & fun demographic (no offence OP). This area is seasonal and/or serviced once a week. The Cuban gov would love to fill their resorts there but even with seasonal/weekly service as a buyer I wouldn't want anything to do with that.

If he does find a flight he would just have to simply call whichever tour operator and they would hold the accomodation / return seat.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2517 posts
2154 upvotes
Montreal
BrunetteGirl wrote: Everyone has the same inventory / same airlines / same access (assuming your looking at an all inclusive vacation package leaving from a major Canadian city). There are no "hidden" deals- rates will be the same across the sites too as they are regulated.
Is there really no difference at all between websites with regards to inventory and price?

If so, are there any other meaningful differences between sites? (Policies, etc). Or are you saying that it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever which site you buy from?
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2565 posts
1742 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
FrancisBacon wrote: Is there really no difference at all between websites with regards to inventory and price?

If so, are there any other meaningful differences between sites? (Policies, etc). Or are you saying that it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever which site you buy from?
For pre-packaged vacations in Canada (not flight + hotel those types of ads you see that advertise a certain hotel/ price) the rates are all the same as the pricing cannot be set by an individual agencies rather by the tour operators ONLY.

Example: Air Canada Vacations, Sunquest Vacations, Sunwing/Signature Vacations, Transat Holidays & Westjet Vacations all have their own websites. If you choose a package on their own website and compare it to any 3rd party site (the list is endless... but let's go with Expedia, Itravel, Red Tag, Sell Off, Trip Central, Travel Nation etc etc) the rate will be exactly the same (I believe they can adjust the advertised rate by no less/more then 0.99 cents)

All the third parties I listed above can offer an additional discount at the time of booking which what sets them apart (Depending on their volume/contracts). If you call up any of the tour operators directly and ask for a discount they most likely won't do it and their res agents picking up the phone cannot offer advice (besides reciting back to you the public information shown on their website) as they are not trained for that.
Aug 16, 2010
387 posts
204 upvotes
Sudbury
I have a few sites that I generally use for searching because I like and am comfortable with the search engines. But after narrowing down my booking I just go to the site that offers the better rewards. PC Points, Petro points, Visa gift card etc. The vacation package price is the same at all so the difference between the 3rd party sites is any extra perks they may offer.

As a last step I always check pricing directly with the tour operator(westjet, air canada, etc). On occasion their pricing can be better, I'm booked to go to dominican in a few weeks. When I looked all 3rd parties were the same. But directly on westjets site it was coming up a couple hundred dollars cheaper(total for 4 people) so I booked directly.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2009
1007 posts
254 upvotes
I know this is old now but in case this happens to anyone else, your best bet is to google flights going to the same destination even if they are all inclusive packages. The goal is to determine what airlines are flying out the same day. This happened to me with a westjet flight and I went to sunwing's counter and asked if I can book a 1 way flight (which they don't have since they specialize in round trip all inclusive packages) and they let me on since they had room. It was $500 which is a rip off but better than missing out on an already paid vacation.
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
675 upvotes
FrancisBacon wrote:
Is there really no difference at all between websites with regards to inventory and price?

BrunetteGirl wrote: For pre-packaged vacations in Canada (not flight + hotel those types of ads you see that advertise a certain hotel/ price) the rates are all the same as the pricing cannot be set by an individual agencies rather by the tour operators ONLY.

Example: Air Canada Vacations, Sunquest Vacations, Sunwing/Signature Vacations, Transat Holidays & Westjet Vacations all have their own websites. If you choose a package on their own website and compare it to any 3rd party site (the list is endless... but let's go with Expedia, Itravel, Red Tag, Sell Off, Trip Central, Travel Nation etc etc) the rate will be exactly the same (I believe they can adjust the advertised rate by no less/more then 0.99 cents)

All the third parties I listed above can offer an additional discount at the time of booking which what sets them apart (Depending on their volume/contracts). If you call up any of the tour operators directly and ask for a discount they most likely won't do it and their res agents picking up the phone cannot offer advice (besides reciting back to you the public information shown on their website) as they are not trained for that.
In addition, that's why it's good to buy these packages from sites like Expediafortd or Costco for 4.5% or 2% back in rewards respectively compared to direct with supplier