So I tested positive for Covid 19

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2021 12:58 am
[OP]
Mar 5, 2017
42 posts
126 upvotes

So I tested positive for Covid 19

I work in the film industry in Toronto where they have regular testing of all crew members. I was tested on Sunday feb 7, 2021 for a project I was starting the following tuesday. I got a call late monday telling me I had tested positive and I couldn't go to work the next day.

I see on the news about all these cases of people testing positive and I wonder what the hell are people doing to allow the virus to continue to spread. If we would just follow the guidelines we would get over this, and then I go and test positive!

I have no idea where I got it, and I have no symptoms. I haven't been at work since Dec 16th and I have limited my contact to my family bubble of my wife and two kids. I had left the house before I tested positive, I had gone shopping with a mask and always sanitizing my hands when I get in the car. I had been doing some renovations in the basement of a rental property I own, but I had no contact with anyone in the building in the weeks before I tested positive, and I work by myself or with my family. I would wear a mask in the common area of the building.

Public health called me on tuesday and went over what I have to do with respect to quarantine. I have taken one room in the house that I stay in that no one else goes in, I use a separate bathroom and my wife leaves me food at the door. My family now has to quartantine for 14 days, as opposed to the 10 days I only need to quarantine from my positive test.

My wife works part-time in a long term care home so she gets tested regularly. She was told to go get tested immediately and we had our two kids tested at the same time. They all came back negative.

So that leaves me with questions. I didnt catch it from my family. My wife works only a few hours a week, PPE is strictly enforced at her work, and she has tested negative. My older son goes to university online and litterally has not left the house for months. Our 16 year old son also goes to school online, but he goes out for exercise and to meet with friends but we tell him he cant go into anyones house, and he has to wear a mask around friends even if they are outside. And he tested negative.

I have no symptoms. It has been 10 days at least since I was exposed, because it takes a few days from exposure until a test will show positive. %97.5 of people show symptoms by day 11.5, and the median time is 5-6 days. So if I dont have symptoms in the next day and a half, I am one of the only %17 or so that truly dont show symptoms, or the test was wrong.

I didnt write this to bitch about the fact that we have to quarantine. I am happy to be super cautious about the spread of covid, especially since I did get a positive test. I am thinking I might get retested monday as that would be 12 days minimum since I could have been exposed.

The most common symptom is fever (%88 of cases). My temperature this morning was 35.4c
29 replies
Mar 12, 2013
293 posts
117 upvotes
Edmonton
I am sorry to hear that you got tested positive instead of all the precautions you take.

One possibility is that when you went for renovation, may be some worker at that location was asymptomatic and you would never know. May be his immune system is strong and yours is weak. The virus will be in air for around 3 hours depending on the intensity of the person who is the carrier of this.

Being said that you took good precautions for yourself. appreciate that as most of them take it granted that nothing happens to me. especially the anti mask supporters. I recommend to quarantine in a hotel (Alberta govt supports the finances) not sure of other provinces.

Less temperatures may be because you are asymptomatic.

get well soon.
[OP]
Mar 5, 2017
42 posts
126 upvotes
HI, Thank you for the well wishes

Just to be clear, I was working in the basement of a building that I own, either I was the only one there or my wife and kids were with me. I had no contact with anyone while in the basement, and I wore a mask when I went from the car to the basement. I have not had what is considered "close contact"

"Toronto Public Health has now adopted the Ministry of Health definition of “close (less than 2 metres) prolonged unprotected contact” or “direct contact with infectious body fluids of the case (e.g., coughed on or sneezed on).” Prolonged contact is 15 minutes or more."

I guess what I am trying to express to people is that If I did catch it, It is super easy to catch and everyone needs to be extremly vigilant, as I followed all the public health precautions.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
1759 posts
440 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Covid is extremely tricky virus, a lot of people get it from no where. asymptomatic and highly contagious means the thing you touch, the people you deal with that look OK maybe the source of infection.
There are significant false negative in nose swab test, a significant portion of cleared negative test are still carrier.
Just as reference, China would test international passenger for 14 day 14test before release passengers on street, still international travellers are known source of carriers. How do you believe your wife working in senior care be perfect negative, just my speculation though. The same applies to places and people you had contacted with. Forget about what public health fake-expert say, they are idiot told you mask had no use, eh. did they not? you need to do more, I would move to garage and heat it up and put a mattress in for now.
<No political content in signatures>
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25972 posts
3265 upvotes
Montreal
Test your kids. They may have been the source. Children are frequently asymptomatic.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1715 posts
721 upvotes
heynow9991 wrote:
Our 16 year old son also goes to school online, but he goes out for exercise and to meet with friends but we tell him he cant go into anyones house, and he has to wear a mask around friends even if they are outside.
This unfortunately would be my first suspicion. I have a 13 (almost 14) year old that has been home since school closed but I know for a fact that if he got together with his friends they wouldn't be following the rules as closely as he should.
You may never figure it out, I wish you a quick and easy recovery and hope your family stays healthy too.
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"
Jul 24, 2019
714 posts
865 upvotes
Canada
Sorry about your test result.

About your 16 year old son meeting up with friends, unfortunately the meet up should be online and not in person, even outside. And, unfortunately, the exercise should happen at your home, inside or in the back yard, without people who do not live there.

Hope you are virus free, soon.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
6851 posts
5542 upvotes
More than 50% of people catch the virus at home from the other people who live with them.

Otherwise it just convinces me that surgical masks are simply not good. They to not create a good seal around your face. So I now use Powecom KN95 masks exclusively.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25972 posts
3265 upvotes
Montreal
Poutinesauce wrote: More than 50% of people catch the virus at home from the other people who live with them.

Otherwise it just convinces me that surgical masks are simply not good. They to not create a good seal around your face. So I now use Powecom KN95 masks exclusively.
You can use a surgical mask with a tie down cloth mask on top.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10756 posts
1916 upvotes
It is good if you don't have N95. A good ASTM-rated mask + another mask on top should provide protection close to N95, especially most people never do a fit test anyway.
Poutinesauce wrote: I don't think this is very good or that we'll adjusted either.
Masks can reduce spread of COVID-19 by 83.3% and keep economy open, wear one!
*external links and short links are not allowed
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2013
5408 posts
2515 upvotes
hollywood pk
did they do more than 1 tests?..I am guessing false positive if you were safe..or somebody is not 100% truthful...its not the plague
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11455 posts
3718 upvotes
Toronto
Hope your recover soon OP and thank you for doing your part to stay home quarantine.

I'm sure there are many people who are positive and have no symptoms, we just don't know because we didn't get tested.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4129 posts
1505 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
It seems likely that your 16 year old is the weak point. We’ve all been teenagers once so I think we can all admit they probably aren’t following the rules as strictly as parents would like to think.

I’ll be honest I follow the guidelines stringently which is made easier by my only child being 2 but aside from keeping up to date on the current rules I don’t keep myself too educated on the specifics of the virus. From my understanding though could your 16 year old not have picked it up first, been asymptotic, passed it on to you and by the time you tested positive the teenager was already recovered? That seems plausible to me based on my limited understanding of the virus and time delays.

Hoping to hear you are in the clear soon! Stay safe!
[OP]
Mar 5, 2017
42 posts
126 upvotes
To answer a few questions

I have a few masks. I have a cloth mask that fits pretty good that I keep in the car that I use sometimes, but I also have a KN95 that I also use sometimes. I am going to start using the kn95 from now on.

As for symptoms, I have no fever, which is the most common symptom. I do have a slightly sore throat but it is hard to judge how bad it is because im just sitting here hyper focusing on how I feel. I'll put it this way, if it we werent in a pandemic, the way I feel now would not stop me from going to work or going out. I know that in the midst of a pandemic that sounds terrible, but honestly before covid we all went to work and shopping with sore throats and runny noses.

What I am getting at is I have no symptons and no contact with anyone. I may be have it, I may not. I find it a bit of a mystery.

thanks for the well wishes
Oct 3, 2017
859 posts
700 upvotes
Your experience is why this virus is so dangerous. Asymptomatic spread.

Until 80% of us are vaccinated with a proven vaccine against all variants the risk will remain very high and tight restrictions will be necessary,

Ontario opening up now is just plain crazy.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
4491 posts
1172 upvotes
cardguy wrote: did they do more than 1 tests?..I am guessing false positive if you were safe..or somebody is not 100% truthful...its not the plague
Even if you are positive ( see above ). As long as your family is healthy you have relatively nothing to worry about .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11687 posts
8158 upvotes
GTA, ON
35.4 C, that's kind of low isn't it? Is this a normal body temperature for you? If not, I'd keep an eye on it. In rare cases, COVID-19 can do the opposite, and instead of a fever, body temperature drops.

Seeing that you haven't gone to work since December, the likelihood of exposure there is pretty much nil. Your wife tested negative, but did you go kiss her up when she got home before she could wash up and change clothes? The likelihood as everyone mentioned though is your son, or you accidently became exposed to it when you were out shopping and accidently touched your nose or mouth before washing up. Your son really shouldn't be meeting up with his friends. Social life should be on the low right now. I personally haven't seen my friends face-to-face except online since last year May.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Mar 5, 2017
42 posts
126 upvotes
about the 35.4 temp, that was first thing in the morning with an ear thermometer. I take it a few times and record the highest of several tries.
I normally run cold. this is normal for me. later in the day I tried again and got 36c and thought oh no, that's a little high for me!

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)