Automotive

So I thought only Volvos lasted for a million klicks?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2020 1:10 pm
Tags:
22 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
49962 posts
13996 upvotes
ONTARIO
Dealmaker1945 wrote: https://driving.ca/hyundai/auto-news/ne ... n-10-years

I keep seeing posts trashing Hyundai's. How did this guy get a million klicks?
Cars arent too bad longevity wise as long as you don’t have something notoriously horrible.

Sure the hyundai isnt the best. But its okay over all. People just don’t like them. Its the old koreAn pony reputation that will never be shaken off. Like racial profiling.

Its more like people get bored of them when they have the same car too long... or they have the flawed thinking that if you need to spend $1000 on new brakes and tires for a 10 yeAr old car, that its somehow “not worth it”. Even though youre just replacing wear and teAr items.

Longest i had a car was a 2001 Lexus IS300 that went up to 420,000km. It would have went up to 500,000 easily if it didnt get totalled.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31890 posts
18881 upvotes
Toronto
Nearly 300km everyday for 10 yrs. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

Any documented proofs ?

I highly doubt it did happen
Last edited by booblehead on Jul 26th, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8405 posts
5286 upvotes
Mississauga
If you’re willing to pour enough money into a vehicle you can make it go a million miles.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4485 posts
2968 upvotes
mrweather wrote: If you’re willing to pour enough money into a vehicle you can make it go a million miles.
it is only when you don't want to spend a nickel into any repairs and expect it to run a million miles.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2954 posts
2368 upvotes
Markham
Dealmaker1945 wrote: https://driving.ca/hyundai/auto-news/ne ... n-10-years

I keep seeing posts trashing Hyundai's. How did this guy get a million klicks?
He was very wise to go with a manual transmission. That said I have seen a 2011 Sonata that actually had 330K+ kms back in 2014, so even with an automatic it should last a decent amount of time.

Admittedly I don't think I could tolerate driving that Elantra for 10 years. That generation of Elantra wasn't nice to drive, the radio was a hateful unit and had questionable reliability, it doesn't help the original tires for this Elantra were some of the worst Kumho tires ever, IIRC it was also a SOLUS tire...didn't last long and had scary wet performance.

At that time, this was a pretty middle of the pack sort of car. Not that great, but not that terrible. So many worse cars definitely existed in this time, Dodge Caliber being the obvious pile of the entire segment, a car that was so trash people missed the Neon.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
49962 posts
13996 upvotes
ONTARIO
JeganV wrote: He was very wise to go with a manual transmission. That said I have seen a 2011 Sonata that actually had 330K+ kms back in 2014, so even with an automatic it should last a decent amount of time.

Admittedly I don't think I could tolerate driving that Elantra for 10 years. That generation of Elantra wasn't nice to drive, the radio was a hateful unit and had questionable reliability, it doesn't help the original tires for this Elantra were some of the worst Kumho tires ever, IIRC it was also a SOLUS tire...didn't last long and had scary wet performance.

At that time, this was a pretty middle of the pack sort of car. Not that great, but not that terrible. So many worse cars definitely existed in this time, Dodge Caliber being the obvious pile of the entire segment, a car that was so trash people missed the Neon.
Back in the early 2000’s... it seemed like people loved the neon.
They even made a high performance srt edition that did 0-60 in 5.3 seconds
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2567 posts
3462 upvotes
Barrie, ON
booblehead wrote: Nearly 300km everyday for 10 yrs. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

Any documented proofs ?

I highly doubt it did happen
Yeah, I'm sure it's a complete lie because some guy on RFD thinks it's impossible to rack up a million kms, lol. This place never ceases to amaze me sometimes.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2954 posts
2368 upvotes
Markham
UrbanPoet wrote: Back in the early 2000’s... it seemed like people loved the neon.
They even made a high performance srt edition that did 0-60 in 5.3 seconds
Eh not really love, more like tolerated otherwise the Caliber wouldn't exist. The SRT versions were legit fast...made more better because the SRT Caliber was slow in comparison despite more power, when even Mopar can't make your car fast...its got serious problems. Thieves however did love the Neon for being apparently one of the easiest rides to outright steal, those early days in rental a decent amount of insurance replacements were for beater Neons where the owner questioned why anybody would steal it. Definitely a worthless car to steal, but again its an easy one...of course today Lexuses are apparently the easiest thing to steal and unlike Neons actually worth stealing and selling.
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1188 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Cars arent too bad longevity wise as long as you don’t have something notoriously horrible.

Sure the hyundai isnt the best. But its okay over all. People just don’t like them. Its the old koreAn pony reputation that will never be shaken off. Like racial profiling.

Its more like people get bored of them when they have the same car too long... or they have the flawed thinking that if you need to spend $1000 on new brakes and tires for a 10 yeAr old car, that its somehow “not worth it”. Even though youre just replacing wear and teAr items.

Longest i had a car was a 2001 Lexus IS300 that went up to 420,000km. It would have went up to 500,000 easily if it didnt get totalled.
Wow ! Racial profiling for a car . What a great analogy .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2637 posts
2191 upvotes
GTA West
It seems that every car maker has made a bad car or two. But only Hyundai is reminded of that in almost every written review of their new vehicles. Talk about stale writing.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1261 posts
823 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
JeganV wrote: At that time, this was a pretty middle of the pack sort of car. Not that great, but not that terrible. So many worse cars definitely existed in this time, Dodge Caliber being the obvious pile of the entire segment, a car that was so trash people missed the Neon.
My co-worker has an 2009 Caliber nearing 300,000kms the car hasn't skipped a beat, between maintenance and a couple of sensors needing replacing the rest is all original. I will venture to say he got his money worth out of this car and then some.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2954 posts
2368 upvotes
Markham
Bianco13 wrote: My co-worker has an 2009 Caliber nearing 300,000kms the car hasn't skipped a beat, between maintenance and a couple of sensors needing replacing the rest is all original. I will venture to say he got his money worth out of this car and then some.
He could've got a reliable one, even luckier if he bought it used because the Caliber couldn't hold value.

Most Calibers were dreadful with reliability new. Problems were the typical Daimler Chrysler nonsense of primarily electronic modules failing prematurely but seen enough serious stuff where engine and transmission failures was unquestionably more frequent than others, old Daimler Chrysler CVT is a particular turd. I was in rental back then and I visited the Chrysler dealerships often, overwhelmingly for warranty work rather than picking up customers.

If you've driven one you'd also find how under engineered these Daimler Chryslers of this era were. The plastics were bottom tier, worst of the worst among all automakers including weak players like Mitsubishi. The Caliber is really slow, its got a bigger engine than a PT Cruiser and is slower. Fuel consumption versus the competition was rather bad. Terrible ride, terrible seats, zero noteworthy features, I could go on. All the FCA successors to the Daimler Chrysler cars were unquestionably better. The Dart isn't the best car, but compared to the Caliber it seems amazing. I consider the Mitsubishi Mirage to be technically the worst car I've ever experienced. The Daimler Chryslers, especially the Sebring, are the cars I genuinely hate, and the hate is because I saw nothing good out of them.

Since FCA took over, I'm a lot less against Chrysler. Overtime it seems my dislike has moved towards Mercedes, so its highly likely the Daimler aspect that I'm very much against.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33226 posts
15039 upvotes
I wonder what an Elantra with 1,000,000km is worth? :lol: I'm guessing they must have given him a decent deal due to the good publicity of the car. I mean if you have one with "only " 800,000km it's probably worth less than $0 :lol:
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56392 posts
21412 upvotes
Good thing this is a fuel miser.

Just imagine the amount of fuel spent over those years.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19285 posts
2983 upvotes
Woodbridge
I just wonder if it was standard maintenance or was there major repairs.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Sep 5, 2013
161 posts
75 upvotes
Mississauga
Impressive
....most impressive!
Oct 4, 2010
842 posts
467 upvotes
Surrey
What kind of good deal did he trade it in for? Hyundai corporate should have given him a new car as a gift. Would have been good PR to make up for the mess Hyundais got into over the last 10 years .
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
16991 posts
6872 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
matrixfwd wrote: What kind of good deal did he trade it in for? Hyundai corporate should have given him a new car as a gift. Would have been good PR to make up for the mess Hyundais got into over the last 10 years .
Hyundai Kona lmao
RFD is love. RFD is life.