• Aug 26th, 2005 10:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
2521 posts
120 upvotes
Ottawa

So I'm taking the LSAT in October...

Well, I've begun taking a look at some of the free online sample tests and have gone to the LSAC web site, but I was wondering if anyone here who has taken the test, or will be taking the test soon, has any tips or recommendations on books I should check out.

I'm going to be getting the official prep tests, and working through those. For those that have taken the LSAT already, would you recommend that I take buy other books too, and do you have any recommendations on specific ones?

FS: Nothing
14 replies
Feb 2, 2003
843 posts
1 upvote
NOVA - Mastering the LSAT is highly recommended. It goes over all the area's. Other then that stack up on prep-tests. Good Luck.
Nov 21, 2003
848 posts
2 upvotes
GET CRACKING!! Most people study for more than two months.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7608 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto, ON
trusoulja2g wrote:GET CRACKING!! Most people study for more than two months.
Right. I studied for... a week or so before taking the test in December, and that seems to have been enough...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7608 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto, ON
TheGame wrote:I'm going to be getting the official prep tests, and working through those. For those that have taken the LSAT already, would you recommend that I take buy other books too, and do you have any recommendations on specific ones?
Get a book or two of the official prep tests, and that should serve you well...

What law school do you want to go to?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
2521 posts
120 upvotes
Ottawa
VivienM wrote:Get a book or two of the official prep tests, and that should serve you well...

What law school do you want to go to?
UBC

Which book should I get, or are they all good? There's the 10 Actual, 10 More Actual, and the Next 10 Actual.

edit: if anybody in the gvr has the abovementioned books, and wants to get rid of them, shoot me a pm.

Thanks for the response. Since you've taken the test already, do you have any tips/strategies?

Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7608 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto, ON
TheGame wrote:UBC

Which book should I get, or are they all good? There's the 10 Actual, 10 More Actual, and the Next 10 Actual.

edit: if anybody in the gvr has the abovementioned books, and wants to get rid of them, shoot me a pm.

Thanks for the response. Since you've taken the test already, do you have any tips/strategies?
Okay, I'm an Ontarian, so I have no idea exactly what UBC's requirements are, LSAT-wise...

I think I had the 10 Actual, I forget... I'd assume they're all about the same. I had a little book (Barron's, I think) too, but didn't find it as helpful.

Tips/strategies:
- don't panic over questions you don't know - you can get like 15-20 wrong and still be in the 95+th percentile
- the analytical section (or whatever it's called... the "Bob is sitting next to Jane. Jane had lunch with Bill. Etc. Who did Bob have dinner with?" section) is by far the most difficult... in particular, be careful not to run out of time
- do LOTS of old ones. the questions are always the same type of deal, so practicing is the way to go. (this is why I don't think any of the books with in-depth strategies are necessarily good... you don't need fancy strategies, you just need experience at their way of doing things) This is like a sport; what you need is practical experience at doing it, not theoretical knowledge of fancy strategies.
- calculate your scores after doing practice tests - if you're like me or my friend whom I sold my books to, you'll find you're actually doing much better than expected (note: they may not give you the exact percentiles, just a score like 160 or 165...)

The last tip, but it's too late for you, would be to do it in June. If you're not a morning person (I'm not), the June test is in the afternoon, while the others are bright and early in the morning. But if you're applying for fall 06, then October is the way to go. (Anybody who tells you that taking the test in December is fine is a liar... many law school decisions are made in late November, at least in Ontario, and if your LSAT score isn't in, you'll be sitting in a pile. Dunno what the UBC admissions cycle is like, though I think someone I kinda knew who's going there got her offer in January, meaning... it was probably decided earlier)

To anybody else considering law school: take the LSAT early; the last thing you need is to be worrying about it at the same time as 4th year seminars/theses/whatever, law school applications, and whatnot. And most law schools, IIRC, look at your best score (if you end up having a bad day and need to retake it), though there are several notable exceptions to that.

That being said, all my friends/acquaintances thought I was insane for doing LSAT in December (03) right before exam season, and given I'm starting at my first choice law school in September, it seems I didn't do too badly out of the whole thing...
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2005
7465 posts
238 upvotes
Ottawa
If you can afford it, take the Kaplan prep course. They not only teach you what you need to know, but they make you write so many tests that you're used to it. When I did the MCAT, they even made sure our practice tests were in the same room as the actual test. I know others may say that Kaplan is a waste of money, but I found that it's really helpful, especially if you just want to write the test once.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
1201 posts
573 upvotes
I took the princeton review course. My mark went down and I wasted $1200.

But at least I got to see that I would have hated law school. I also didn't like many of the other students who ended up with good LSAT marks that would have been in my class. So it worked out for the best

Going to J School instead!!!!!
Sep 2, 2002
659 posts
2 upvotes
AB
ariel wrote: Going to J School instead!!!!!
Which one?
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23220 posts
4987 upvotes
Toronto
Kaplan is a good recommendation if you are willing to invest in this type of prep course. My ex-gf invested in Kaplan. There were so many practice tests and strategies provided. She drilled through a lot of the test with the strategies and steadily saw improvement in timing and score with each test. I believe she scored 95th percentile and had her choice of Osgoode, UofT etc. She ended up going to UofT.

I also took the Kaplan prep course for the GMAT and found their strategies and test materials very helpful as well. I also got into the school of my choice which was Schulich.

Hope that helps !
Deal Fanatic
May 19, 2003
5034 posts
549 upvotes
Ancaster
ji2o0k wrote:Kaplan is a good recommendation if you are willing to invest in this type of prep course. My ex-gf invested in Kaplan. There were so many practice tests and strategies provided. She drilled through a lot of the test with the strategies and steadily saw improvement in timing and score with each test. I believe she scored 95th percentile and had her choice of Osgoode, UofT etc. She ended up going to UofT.

I also took the Kaplan prep course for the GMAT and found their strategies and test materials very helpful as well. I also got into the school of my choice which was Schulich.

Hope that helps !
Wow...people seem to like Kaplan and dislike Princeton here. The sentiment for MCAT prep course is the exact opposite -- people say the Princeton is much better (i.e. better instructors, resources, etc.) than Kaplan.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2005
7465 posts
238 upvotes
Ottawa
felixdd wrote:Wow...people seem to like Kaplan and dislike Princeton here. The sentiment for MCAT prep course is the exact opposite -- people say the Princeton is much better (i.e. better instructors, resources, etc.) than Kaplan.
I took the Kaplan MCAT course, and I found the instructors to be top notch. They were all med students, knew their stuff inside out, and was extremely helpful. I don't know a single person who took Princeton, so I can't compare, it doesn't seem to be very popular here in Ottawa.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
2521 posts
120 upvotes
Ottawa
forgot about this thread for a bit...

Anyhow, I've heard that a pdf file is going around with explanations for lsats 1-40 (and some people are selling them too). Does anyone have them or know where I could get them (for free)?

Thanks in advance.
And thanks to the rest of you guys, especially VivienM, for your input on lsat prep materials and taking the test.