Home & Garden

So many mitre saws to choose from.. please help!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2017 9:19 am
[OP]
May 15, 2015
134 posts
63 upvotes
Deathstar

So many mitre saws to choose from.. please help!

Hi RFD,

Need to get a new mitre saw. Both Lowes and Home Depot have them in the flyer this week, don't know which one I should buy.

There the Bosch CM12SD 12-in 15 Amp Dual-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw from Lowes for $499 + 10% off ($449)
https://www.lowes.ca/products/view.aspx ... 25&af=2301

Lowes also has the Bosch CM8S 8.5-in 12 Amp Single-Bevel Compound Miter Saw on for $399 + 10% off ($359)

And the DEWALT DCS361B 7 1/4-in 20-Volt Cordless Sliding Compound Miter Saw (Tool Only) for $314.
https://www.lowes.ca/products/view.aspx ... 21&af=2301

Home Depot has the Dewalt DWS779 12 Inch Sliding Compound Mitre Saw for $499
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1001 ... W21_T5W3K8

Personally, I thought I wanted a 10" mitre saw so I could share the blades with my table saw. Not so sure about that now.

What do you guys recommend? Bosch or Dewalt? 10" or 12"? Any one of the models currently on sale?

Thanks very much!

edit: I see Canadian Tire has the DW717 DEWALT 15A Dual-Bevel Sliding Mitre Saw, 10-in on for $529.. anyone know if I could price match at Lowes + 10% off, and if they'd take an additional 10% off with their current promotion?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/dewal ... p.html#srp
22 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2264 posts
1249 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Homedepot has the Milwaukee 12" saw and stand on for 499.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11485 posts
7759 upvotes
Edmonton
You're all over the place with those... Do you need cordless? If not, scratch that one. And I suspect you don't need a 12" slider. I think the happy spot is either a 12" non-slider, or a 10" slider. The 12" non-slider because it's got a decent reach, but because it doesn't slide, it's more likely to stay in tune. And the 10" slider because it has a long reach/cutting capacity, the blades are reasonably cheap, and they're shareable with your table saw. You may want to consider the portability of the saws as well, or cabinet space taken up by them if they're going to live in your garage.

Being able to use your blades in more than one saw is a good thing, IMHO. Especially when you start talking about expensive (many teeth) finishing blades for trim and cuts you'll see. I don't think you can go too far wrong with Bosch or Dewalt. Makita also had a good name. There was a thread in here recently debating miter saws, so you might want to do some looking (hint: Search) for that.

C
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2457 posts
753 upvotes
What do you need it for? If it's for small projects around the home, check out kijiji and get a brand name used one; I found a Makita 10" dual bevel and got it for $90. For the money I saved I bought a brand new Dewalt table saw DW745 as from reviews it's the most accurate and I don't want to be annoyed with ensuring the fence is accurate each time I use it (like other table saws).
[OP]
May 15, 2015
134 posts
63 upvotes
Deathstar
I'll be buying this to help with making kitchen cabinets and the crown molding around them.
[OP]
May 15, 2015
134 posts
63 upvotes
Deathstar
CNeufeld wrote: You're all over the place with those... Do you need cordless? If not, scratch that one. And I suspect you don't need a 12" slider. I think the happy spot is either a 12" non-slider, or a 10" slider. The 12" non-slider because it's got a decent reach, but because it doesn't slide, it's more likely to stay in tune. And the 10" slider because it has a long reach/cutting capacity, the blades are reasonably cheap, and they're shareable with your table saw. You may want to consider the portability of the saws as well, or cabinet space taken up by them if they're going to live in your garage.

Being able to use your blades in more than one saw is a good thing, IMHO. Especially when you start talking about expensive (many teeth) finishing blades for trim and cuts you'll see. I don't think you can go too far wrong with Bosch or Dewalt. Makita also had a good name. There was a thread in here recently debating miter saws, so you might want to do some looking (hint: Search) for that.

C
Thanks that's very helpful! I did do a search and saw the Makita thread, must have missed the other mitre saw discussion.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11485 posts
7759 upvotes
Edmonton
BigStick wrote: Thanks that's very helpful! I did do a search and saw the Makita thread, must have missed the other mitre saw discussion.
first-saw-diyer-circular-mitre-table-2102824/
miter-saw-ryobi-10-sliding-dewalt-10-compound-2104135/
what-cant-10-inch-mitre-saw-do-2103448/
mitre-saw-2102848/

For cabinet work, a table saw would probably be more useful. But you may have that taken care of already...

C
[OP]
May 15, 2015
134 posts
63 upvotes
Deathstar
Thanks for the links.

I'll go with a 10" slider then. Too bad all the 12" sliders are cheaper at the moment..
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1269 posts
743 upvotes
Ottawa
I echo the recommendation to go for a 10" slider instead of 12", unless you have a specific reason to the contrary (e.g. will be cutting 14" molding...)
Mitre saws in general, and sliding mitre saws with a stand even more, are bulky and heavy beasts. When I was buying, knowledgeable people told me most home/enthusiast users will end up valuing workshop real-estate, and luggability, more than the extra inches. They were right at least as far as my needs are concerned.
Jan 15, 2010
516 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
I agree with the 10" recommendation. I have a 10" sliding bevel and its still somewhat portable. My neighbour has a 12" and its a beast.

If you can get a stand with extending arms on the cheap as well that is great to have if you have the room. When doing all my baseboards it helped to support the larger pieces nicely. When i don't need it, I can fold it up.
[OP]
May 15, 2015
134 posts
63 upvotes
Deathstar
GavinCampbell wrote: I agree with the 10" recommendation. I have a 10" sliding bevel and its still somewhat portable. My neighbour has a 12" and its a beast.

If you can get a stand with extending arms on the cheap as well that is great to have if you have the room. When doing all my baseboards it helped to support the larger pieces nicely. When i don't need it, I can fold it up.

Yes. I'm going for the Bocsh CM10GD:
https://www.boschtools.com/ca/en/boscht ... d-48431-p/

This looks like the best one on the market, pretty pricey though. Setup camel camel for an alert because it looks like it went down to $313 last November.

Next question's going to be what router to get for a router table..
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11485 posts
7759 upvotes
Edmonton
BigStick wrote: Yes. I'm going for the Bocsh CM10GD:
https://www.boschtools.com/ca/en/boscht ... d-48431-p/

This looks like the best one on the market, pretty pricey though. Setup camel camel for an alert because it looks like it went down to $313 last November.

Next question's going to be what router to get for a router table..
If you want to use it specifically for a router table (or even mainly for that), pay careful attention to how the height adjustment will work for you.
https://www.finewoodworking.com/media/RouterTables.pdf

Let me know if you can't read that... I have a subscription on there, so it might not be available to you. It's an older article (2007) but it might give you some things to consider.

Personally, I've had good luck with my Lee Valley router table insert. It gives you a big wide plate to drop into your table, and when you need to set the height or change a bit, you just pop the router out and do your business. It would be nice to have one of the fancy router table setups, but I'm not that hard-core. :)

I've got a PC router, with the fixed and plunge base. Pretty happy with it. But it's older, and I think some of the newer ones will have more features.

I'm just in the process of re-setting up a wood working shop in my garage, after years of living in a condo. It's a slow process... :) And expensive.

C
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4113 upvotes
Ottawa
Those cordless miters are awesome to build a birdhouse. They even let you have lunch while you're charging your 2 batteries. It's a useless POS made for people with more money than handy-skills.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16894 posts
1739 upvotes
Thornhill
I have a 10" fixed, 10" slider, and 12" slider. I use my 10" fixed the most by far, but if I were only allowed to have one saw, it would be a 10" slider.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
2713 posts
98 upvotes
10" for sure for the weekend DIYer
Been using the 10" kobalt sliding mitre saw and its been great, paid $150 brand new. Def still portable, I throw it in the car and bring it to my dad whenever he needs it.