Automotive

So my new only 3.5 months old camry got backed into

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2019 12:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2006
5749 posts
1926 upvotes
Cornwall PE

So my new only 3.5 months old camry got backed into

People for some unknown reason decided to back up rather than simply driving off, which they did after hitting my car.
Good job I had a dash cam with parking mode. Still waiting on the police to get back to me. Superficial damage to my car, just around the toyota emblem, however can only guess to what might be lurking under neath, judging by the impact my car got a decent bit of a hit.
Images
  • Damage.jpg
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
99 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
14915 posts
15783 upvotes
Oakville
What a dick. Hope the police and your insurance give it to them.
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
314 posts
353 upvotes
Nunavut
Whats your dash cam? I'm looking to get one with park mode for the rear. I have i think vio119 something like that
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2006
5749 posts
1926 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Hindustunna wrote: Whats your dash cam? I'm looking to get one with park mode for the rear. I have i think vio119 something like that
Thinkware f800, non pro. Goes on sale at bb for $259 from time to time.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
9680 posts
4435 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe they meant go into drive gear instead of reverse.

Sucks, hopefully you nail those bastards
Telus $45 25GB
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 11, 2009
5228 posts
1923 upvotes
Debtario
Wow, park mode saved the day! Plate is nicely visible so it should be a matter of time before police catch up to the other driver... unless it was a stolen vehicle.

Stupid mistake to get reverse/forward mixed up, but it's not hard to see how it could happen, same as mixing up the pedals and rear ending someone. The Subaru driver was likely accustomed to backing out and mindlessly put it in reverse. People also don't realize that it is very easy to be a distracted driver without ever touching a phone or taking your eyes off the road, being stressed out or upset with a ton of other stuff racing through your mind can easily lead to such operator error.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 8, 2007
8635 posts
9402 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
So glad you got this POS on video. Please keep us up to date on the status on the police investigation.

I would also hazard the dash cam paid for itself with not having to pay a deductible.
"It is in times of great fear or greed that the most opportunity exists."
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 15, 2014
884 posts
763 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So what's going to happen to the other driver because of that hit and run. I know their insurance will likely increase but will they get charged with something or a fine for leaving the scene?
Please respond
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 15, 2014
884 posts
763 upvotes
Toronto, ON
M1K3Z0R wrote: People also don't realize that it is very easy to be a distracted driver without ever touching a phone or taking your eyes off the road, being stressed out or upset with a ton of other stuff racing through your mind can easily lead to such operator error.
So true. We need to make sure our mind is focused on driving when behind the wheel.
Please respond
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
899 posts
454 upvotes
betamaxman wrote: People for some unknown reason decided to back up rather than simply driving off, which they did after hitting my car.
Good job I had a dash cam with parking mode. Still waiting on the police to get back to me. Superficial damage to my car, just around the toyota emblem, however can only guess to what might be lurking under neath, judging by the
nothing is lurking underneath.
I wouldn't waste your time with this. I realize it's your brand new baby, but not enough damage to waste time to go get it fixed, get a rental, make insurance claim..... even making a police report..... waste of time.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
54013 posts
18958 upvotes
Never a waste of time to teach the other party a lesson.
Sr. Member
Dec 16, 2014
857 posts
437 upvotes
Easter Island
I believe sonar radar is behind emblem?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
14915 posts
15783 upvotes
Oakville
Doebird wrote: nothing is lurking underneath.
I wouldn't waste your time with this. I realize it's your brand new baby, but not enough damage to waste time to go get it fixed, get a rental, make insurance claim..... even making a police report..... waste of time.
At the very least they owe the OP a new pristine bumper. It's possible that some supports underneath were bent, but probably not.
Like if I gave your new car a small key scratch you wouldn't care?
Personally I would ask them for $500 cash, otherwise I'll go through their insurance. $500 is a good deal for both parties.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2006
5749 posts
1926 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Insurance also notified and body shop will be providing a quote on monday. Anyway I want it back to how it was before the misshap and as far as I can ascertain that will involve replacing the part below the hood that surrounds the emblem and the mat grill then off to toyota to calibrate the cruse/radar.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
54013 posts
18958 upvotes
karakoram wrote: I believe sonar radar is behind emblem?
I think on our 16rav4, something is right behind the emblem too.

Top