Real Estate

So it is now reasonable to refuse showing of an apartment potential renter wants to see?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2020 8:48 am
[OP]
Jan 7, 2010
52 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto

So it is now reasonable to refuse showing of an apartment potential renter wants to see?

I've just been told that I cannot see the apartment I was interested in checkout only via the youtube videos that made. I cannot go there and see it in person before signing anything. And these are vacant apartments. What the heck is going on? This is fine now? We're expected to sign stuff without actually seeing it in person now. Lol.

I thought there's very minimal risk at a showing as you can just tell the viewer to not touch anything and wear a mask.
17 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22286 posts
20904 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
One ... and done

Listen, IF the Landlord is not open to a reasonable discussion NOW
Imagine what they will be like once you live there

Walk away
And consider yourself lucky

* Sure there are people I have heard of who cuz of Covid and having to relocate who have bought houses pretty much unseen
Via video viewings, shown over zoom etc
But ... it’s far from the norm
RE Agents are still doing in person showings when someone is serious on buying / signing on the dotted line
This landlord is being unreasonable
And not worth your time if he cannot see that
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3399 posts
1658 upvotes
Montreal
Forget any apartment where the landlord won't let you view the apartment with a mask on. It's not hard to tell people not to touch and give the place a quick disinfection afterwards.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4426 posts
2929 upvotes
Every body is using covid19 as an excuse these days.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7396 posts
1573 upvotes
Scarborough
Sounds like a crappy place to rent

They can just make up shit policies? Is this a banana republic now?
Mar 1, 2020
842 posts
236 upvotes
GTA West
When there's substitutes, just move on... Not worth the hassle... esp since you're just about to rent - nothing lost...
[OP]
Jan 7, 2010
52 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Just straight up virtual viewing online.
cant view in person.png
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1806 posts
1819 upvotes
SamSimp wrote: Just straight up virtual viewing online.

cant view in person.png
Sounds like a scam. How do you even know they own the place. Where did you find the posting for the rental?
[OP]
Jan 7, 2010
52 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
ProductGuy wrote: Sounds like a scam. How do you even know they own the place. Where did you find the posting for the rental?
They seem to be legit at the same time. It's so frustrating why they didn't just offer me to go check it out.

I've had experience with apartments where the lobby hall smells like crack 24/7.

I got the ad from Kijiji. They have several listings.
Images
  • Screenshot_20200727-010732_Gmail.jpg
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
14736 posts
4869 upvotes
GTA
SamSimp wrote:
I got the ad from Kijiji. They have several listings.
That means nothing. Could have a bunch of fakes waiting for someone to bite.

Maybe they want you to sign before you hear the dog next door that barks all day or notice that the hall constantly smells of smoking?

100% I'd move on
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
18696 posts
16903 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Move on. Don’t bother.
[OP]
Jan 7, 2010
52 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
RolandCouch wrote: That means nothing. Could have a bunch of fakes waiting for someone to bite.

Maybe they want you to sign before you hear the dog next door that barks all day or notice that the hall constantly smells of smoking?

100% I'd move on
JayLove06 wrote: Move on. Don’t bother.
Yeah she told me I need to apply first I'm approved, I can go view it in person.
Jul 23, 2020
287 posts
238 upvotes
If you cant see it in person, its not any good for you. Anything can look good with photoshop these days.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3289 posts
3270 upvotes
Montreal
SamSimp wrote: Yeah she told me I need to apply first I'm approved, I can go view it in person.
Is it free to apply? If you change your mind after seeing the place can you back out without penalty?

If so, doesn't seem entirely unreasonable. Especially if the staff is old.
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
11848 posts
15260 upvotes
Toronto
This must be a scam why would they care if you go?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22286 posts
20904 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
SamSimp wrote: Yeah she told me I need to apply first I'm approved, I can go view it in person.
Ok, so it’s NOT SIGN A LEASE ?

Did you misunderstand the process ?

It’s fill out an Apartment Application Form.
Get approved and then you get to see it ?

A bit backwards ... as usually one sees the place
Then fills out the Application Form
Gets Approved
And signs the lease

I guess this way they are cutting down on how many showings they have to do during Covid

Kind of makes sense ... I suppose
But I wouldn’t give them any money ... or sign anything that authorizes money

Infact if it was me ... I would still stick to my original statement
That this is all too complicated / poorly explained
Prob not worth the hassle
Look elsewhere
Oct 9, 2014
10 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Condo management may have restrictions and procedures for in person showings due to covid.

Mine required virtual tours to be available, covid questionnaires, and booking of elevator time slots to limit exposure to residents. In person showings were to be used as a last resort for serious renters/buyers.
A very time consuming process.

There were a lot of tire kickers that just wanted to see the place despite having a ton of photos of the place furnished and vacant as well as videos of the empty unit. The prescreening and paperwork weeded out most of the tire kickers.

I can see the property management company requiring an application to gauge how serious the renter is, even more so now than before.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)