Food & Drink

So who here is making a turkey for Thanksgiving and How do you cook it?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2017 11:06 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6074 posts
2113 upvotes

So who here is making a turkey for Thanksgiving and How do you cook it?

I have a utility grade ($0.97 a lb at No Frills) 13 pound turkey thawing in my basement fridge.
I will be smoking it with Hickory chunks in my propane smoker tomorrow - I smother it in Sonny's BBQ sauce.
Photos to follow.
Images
  • turkey done.jpg
Last edited by plymouthhater on Oct 7th, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2683 upvotes
ON
The boring way - put in a pan and bake for hours, basting periodically.
Mar 19, 2013
695 posts
207 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
My wife is cooking 11lb. turkey, right now. The regular oven method.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6741 posts
1396 upvotes
Mine is a PC Butter Basted with 2 Stuffings, apple/bread in the chest cavity and sausage in the neck. It's cook from frozen so takes a long time at 325. Going to oven roast it tomorrow but eat on Monday. It was $1.49 at Independent.

Making cheese/sour cream mashed potatoes, mashed maple/lemon/chipotle sweet potatoes, broccoli bacon salad, crunchy marinated vegetables, and apple pies.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5281 posts
2182 upvotes
I use a dry rub, then use chef ramsay's recipe for his Christmas turkey, using the oven. The sauce is to die for.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6011 posts
436 upvotes
BC
I got a fresh butterball.. its going into the smoker (traeger) using apple and cherry pellets. Making stuffing with apple, sausage, sage, in the oven.. with the usual trimmings, bought fresh from the farm a week ago... yams, brussels sprouts, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce. Today I'm making an apple tart for dessert.

Interesting you are using hickory, I find it a little strong for turkey. BBQ sauce? I'm going to oil mine and season with salt/pepper/garlic.
That's my 2cents worth
Sep 22, 2008
825 posts
70 upvotes
Best way Imo, cover it with bacon Face Savouring Delicious Food
For sale /

scarborough/markham
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6074 posts
2113 upvotes
Keelie wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 4:56 pm
I got a fresh butterball.. its going into the smoker (traeger) using apple and cherry pellets. Making stuffing with apple, sausage, sage, in the oven.. with the usual trimmings, bought fresh from the farm a week ago... yams, brussels sprouts, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce. Today I'm making an apple tart for dessert.

Interesting you are using hickory, I find it a little strong for turkey. BBQ sauce? I'm going to oil mine and season with salt/pepper/garlic.
I tried mesquite once - found it gave the turkey a bit of a sour taste - hickory seems to be fine - reminds me of southern US BBQ.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
25726 posts
3904 upvotes
Hamilton
20lbs frozen - thawing right now lol

Regular oven style
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
May 28, 2012
10288 posts
2436 upvotes
Saskatoon
My oven went wonky a few days ago and I'm not chancing it...the plan is to cook the 14 lb turkey in the bbq. Hope it works.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
3259 posts
41 upvotes
GTA
Brining a 4.5kg PC Butter-Basted Turkey now. Not sure if that is even needed with the said-butter baste but will be smoking it with a bacon layer in the kettle. Good idea for the stuffings, keep the ideas coming. Hoping to preserve some gravy goodness in a bottom pan but will probably dry out.

Happy Thankgivings to all.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5281 posts
2182 upvotes
zalapski wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 8:46 pm
Brining a 4.5kg PC Butter-Basted Turkey now. Not sure if that is even needed with the said-butter baste but will be smoking it with a bacon layer in the kettle. Good idea for the stuffings, keep the ideas coming. Hoping to preserve some gravy goodness in a bottom pan but will probably dry out.

Happy Thankgivings to all.
Brining butterballs and related variations is overkill and will make the texture more suited for seniors at a care-facility. What a waste. You might as well just have bought a utility turkey and brined it instead.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
2039 posts
402 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
I've been using Chef John's recipe ever since it came out and it's always a hit at parties.
I also use it on chicken for weekend dinners.
It takes about 1-2hrs to carve it out nicely, but end result is amazing.
Biggest one I carved out was 30lbs

Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17761 posts
1764 upvotes
Space for rent
I'm going to a Chinese bbq place and getting some soy chicken and bbq pork.

Done.