Computers & Electronics

So why aren't ISP / resellers slashing their rates if ... ?

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2016 7:47 pm
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 15, 2008
9717 posts
2744 upvotes
Toronto
Probably takes forever before the procedure completes and rates get approved.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 10, 2005
5205 posts
2805 upvotes
GTA
This is good news. Things aren't final yet but we could be looking at reduced pricing on our internet if you're on a third party ISP

Pretty crazy. Going by what they're saying now, the CRTC is reducing rates that the ISPs have to pay the incumbents by a significant amount. It looks like some of the new rates could be in the neighbourhood of 25% of what they currently pay.

The incumbents knew this was coming. This is why they have been promoting two year contract deals.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12126 posts
3087 upvotes
--
Dave98 wrote: This is good news. Things aren't final yet but we could be looking at reduced pricing on our internet if you're on a third party ISP

Pretty crazy. Going by what they're saying now, the CRTC is reducing rates that the ISPs have to pay the incumbents by a significant amount. It looks like some of the new rates could be in the neighbourhood of 25% of what they currently pay.

The incumbents knew this was coming. This is why they have been promoting two year contract deals.
And what if third parties don't change their rates all that much then?

I just signed a2 year deal for the ignite 100u unlimited for 64.99 which includes the modem in that monthly cost and had the install fee waived.

Before I was using my landlords internet which was a brutal bell line. This 100u deal is roughly 8x faster
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 22, 2005
20665 posts
6087 upvotes
GTA
Dave98 wrote: This is good news. Things aren't final yet but we could be looking at reduced pricing on our internet if you're on a third party ISP

Pretty crazy. Going by what they're saying now, the CRTC is reducing rates that the ISPs have to pay the incumbents by a significant amount. It looks like some of the new rates could be in the neighbourhood of 25% of what they currently pay.

The incumbents knew this was coming. This is why they have been promoting two year contract deals.
Yup, so many good 2 year deals on internet, there is a reason why they are trying to get as many customers locked in as possible.
Member
User avatar
Nov 26, 2014
359 posts
153 upvotes
Quebec
Finally one good point about being in Quebec... there are no contracts on internet and tv anymore. You cancel when you want. I'm with EBOX, hoping to see reduced rates in 2016
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 10, 2005
5205 posts
2805 upvotes
GTA
XtremeModder wrote:
Dave98 wrote: This is good news. Things aren't final yet but we could be looking at reduced pricing on our internet if you're on a third party ISP

Pretty crazy. Going by what they're saying now, the CRTC is reducing rates that the ISPs have to pay the incumbents by a significant amount. It looks like some of the new rates could be in the neighbourhood of 25% of what they currently pay.

The incumbents knew this was coming. This is why they have been promoting two year contract deals.
And what if third parties don't change their rates all that much then?
I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I see them making the packages more competitive, at the very least. Perhaps pricing unlimited packages cheaper than what they are now or bumping caps way up.

I don't know if third parties will ever be a significantly better deal than the incumbents. Things like installation fees and modem fees will probably always be there for third parties. The incumbents can swallow those costs.

But hopefully, whatever the price difference will be, it's worth it to some to not be locked into contracts.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1459 upvotes
Richmond
coriolis wrote: Yup, so many good 2 year deals on internet, there is a reason why they are trying to get as many customers locked in as possible.
Both Telus and Shaw are pushing 2 year deals hard in the west, but I haven't been very impressed with their actual offers. Telus is offering slightly better deals in the limited areas where they have fibre service, but their 2-year "service agreements" have no price guarantee in the 2nd year.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12126 posts
3087 upvotes
--
Faith24 wrote:
coriolis wrote: Yup, so many good 2 year deals on internet, there is a reason why they are trying to get as many customers locked in as possible.
Both Telus and Shaw are pushing 2 year deals hard in the west, but I haven't been very impressed with their actual offers. Telus is offering slightly better deals in the limited areas where they have fibre service, but their 2-year "service agreements" have no price guarantee in the 2nd year.
Ah. My Rogers deal was locked in at 64.99/2years, goes back to the normal price after but hopefully I can get a better deal when that time comes around.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 20, 2015
613 posts
402 upvotes
London
XtremeModder wrote:
Faith24 wrote:
coriolis wrote: Yup, so many good 2 year deals on internet, there is a reason why they are trying to get as many customers locked in as possible.
Both Telus and Shaw are pushing 2 year deals hard in the west, but I haven't been very impressed with their actual offers. Telus is offering slightly better deals in the limited areas where they have fibre service, but their 2-year "service agreements" have no price guarantee in the 2nd year.
Ah. My Rogers deal was locked in at 64.99/2years, goes back to the normal price after but hopefully I can get a better deal when that time comes around.
I'm hoping Teksavvy or Start.ca will offer something better within a year but won't hold my breath.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 12, 2007
18341 posts
5963 upvotes
London
Ytterbium wrote:
XtremeModder wrote:
Faith24 wrote:

Both Telus and Shaw are pushing 2 year deals hard in the west, but I haven't been very impressed with their actual offers. Telus is offering slightly better deals in the limited areas where they have fibre service, but their 2-year "service agreements" have no price guarantee in the 2nd year.
Ah. My Rogers deal was locked in at 64.99/2years, goes back to the normal price after but hopefully I can get a better deal when that time comes around.
I'm hoping Teksavvy or Start.ca will offer something better within a year but won't hold my breath.
I think Peter Rocco from start.ca posted on dslreports that it will take a couple of months to come up with the new pricing packages
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 22, 2005
20665 posts
6087 upvotes
GTA
I took a quick look at both Teksavvy, eBox and Start's forums on dslreports, and it looks like it'll be a few months or more until all the legal fine print is finalized.

Hopefully by the end of the year.
Member
Apr 4, 2012
289 posts
176 upvotes
Laval, Que
I'll be REALLY surprise if third party ISP lower their rates. I suspect they will only increase the dl caps or change some over to an unlimited profile for customer to make us customer feel like we're getting a better deal.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
24699 posts
14246 upvotes
Toronto
On the surface it looks promising. I remain skeptical of the CRTC success at looking after consumer interests. The elimination of the 3 year wireless contract is still costing everyone dearly.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
23117 posts
8172 upvotes
coriolis wrote:
Dave98 wrote: This is good news. Things aren't final yet but we could be looking at reduced pricing on our internet if you're on a third party ISP

Pretty crazy. Going by what they're saying now, the CRTC is reducing rates that the ISPs have to pay the incumbents by a significant amount. It looks like some of the new rates could be in the neighbourhood of 25% of what they currently pay.

The incumbents knew this was coming. This is why they have been promoting two year contract deals.
Yup, so many good 2 year deals on internet, there is a reason why they are trying to get as many customers locked in as possible.
The Shaw 2 year deal isn't locked in though. It says you can cancel any time for any reason with no penalty. Still way better than my previous ISP where I was paying the same amount for 1/6th the speed. Where I am, there are only 2 companies so we don't have a lot of options but the Shaw deal was too good to pass up...
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1459 upvotes
Richmond
Terms of the Shaw 2-year deal: "Early cancellation fees apply and will be calculated based on the number of months remaining in the 2-year ValuePlan multiplied by the early cancellation fee ($15 per month for the Internet only agreement or $20 per month for the Internet and TV agreement). Details on 2-year ValuePlans can be found at http://shaw.ca/valueplandetails"

Telus only charges $10/month for early cancellation (see http://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/arti ... -agreement). Clearly Telus is more confident that you will want to stay with them for the full term than Shaw is.

On the other hand Telus gives a price guarantee only for the first half of the contract term. They will tell you the estimated price for the second half, but they can and do raise it before you get there. Your defence against them raising it a ridiculous amount is that you could always cancel out for no more than $10/month.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35817 posts
9159 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
If they decide to pass on the savings, don't expect too much. My guess would be a $4 decrease in DSL and $7 - $8 in cable
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 15, 2008
9717 posts
2744 upvotes
Toronto
gophia wrote: I'll be REALLY surprise if third party ISP lower their rates. I suspect they will only increase the dl caps or change some over to an unlimited profile for customer to make us customer feel like we're getting a better deal.
TekSavvy has dropped prices on their DSL packages before when cost went down for them, I am hoping they will do the same for current/grandfathered packages. Or up the speed/cap for the same price.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 24, 2005
1423 posts
139 upvotes
will888 wrote: On the surface it looks promising. I remain skeptical of the CRTC success at looking after consumer interests. The elimination of the 3 year wireless contract is still costing everyone dearly.
IF third party ISP's don't reduce their rates I believe the CRTC would step-up as they have now set the rates for all Backbone providers against their wishes and some are still fighting against access to newly installed higher speed services! They move extremely slow but they are mandating lower cost access throughout Canada!
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
23117 posts
8172 upvotes
Faith24 wrote: Terms of the Shaw 2-year deal: "Early cancellation fees apply and will be calculated based on the number of months remaining in the 2-year ValuePlan multiplied by the early cancellation fee ($15 per month for the Internet only agreement or $20 per month for the Internet and TV agreement). Details on 2-year ValuePlans can be found at http://shaw.ca/valueplandetails"
Since I only have a choice between Shaw and TBaytel, why would I cancel when TBaytel can't upgrade to even 100 Mbps for between 2 and 4 years? Since the contract runs for 24 months it looks like I will be with Shaw for the duration. Wish we had some other outfits come in for Internet service in this area but it never happened til now, so I don't expect it will ever happen. You guys in Southern Ontario are lucky to get competition. In the past, we've had outfits like Rogers come in and pull out. The only competition we have is in cell phone providers.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)