Expired Hot Deals

Sobeys

10% Off Air Canada Gift Cards (September 30 - October 6)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2021 10:52 am
[OP]
Feb 15, 2012
386 posts
394 upvotes

[Sobeys] 10% Off Air Canada Gift Cards (September 30 - October 6)

In this weeks flyer, Air Canada gift cards are 10% off at Sobeys.

Maximum two gift card per booking.
Images
  • Screenshot 2021-09-29 113827.png
Last edited by darrenmak on Sep 29th, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
:)
Thread Summary
The max gift card is $500. If your booking is $1,200.00, the Air Canada system will only allow you to use one gift card of $500, and the other payment must satisfy the remaining balance of $700. In other words, you have to pay by credit card.

This is how Air Canada gets access to our "cash" with 0% interest.

*Buyers beware, if you pay with gift cards, you may forfeit your travel insurance or any form of protection from your credit card, even if it's partial paid*
30 replies
Oct 14, 2015
324 posts
274 upvotes
Toronto
Reminder you can only use 2 gift cards per booking, I believe.

EDIT:
For use with Air Canada: Due to system limitations, we regret that a maximum of two (2) forms of payment is permitted on a single booking at time of purchase. When purchasing a seat or travel option for an existing reservation, only one (1) form of payment can be accepted at time of purchase. If the Gift Card or eGift Card has a balance lower than the cost of the fee or travel option, please pay with another form of payment. However, we will be able to apply the credit balance from your Gift Card or eGift Card and effect a refund to the alternative form of payment used following these instructions - After the transaction, you can complete the Customer Assistance FormExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines. provide proof of the form of payment used and include the details of the unused Gift Card or eGift Card to receive a refund of the applicable value to your original form of payment.

---> Unless you can cover the whole booking with two, you can only use one + a credit card

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... cards.html
Last edited by TimTaylor on Sep 29th, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2006
1206 posts
733 upvotes
TimTaylor wrote: Reminder you can only use 2 gift cards per booking, I believe.
That's only if you can pay for the entire booking with 2 gift cards. The max gift card is $500. If your booking is $1,200.00, the Air Canada system will only allow you to use one gift card of $500, and the other payment must satisfy the remaining balance of $700. In other words, you have to pay by credit card.

Edit: I see you edited your original post. I essentially stated what you said.
Feb 7, 2019
44 posts
67 upvotes
Remember that you may not be eligible for the insurance benefits on your credit card when you book a flight with gift cards.
Oct 14, 2015
324 posts
274 upvotes
Toronto
fresda wrote: Remember that you may not be eligible for the insurance benefits on your credit card when you book a flight with gift cards.
You will always (typically) have the medical coverage, but probably not the trip cancellation/interruption service.
Mar 2, 2016
600 posts
765 upvotes
Toronto
fresda wrote: Remember that you may not be eligible for the insurance benefits on your credit card when you book a flight with gift cards.
True. IIRC the only cards which insurance would cover are the BMO WEs.
Koodo|Fido|Tangerine|EQ|AMEX|Plastiq|eBates|TopCashBack|Mr. Rebates|Great Canadian Rebates|RocketMiles
BRIM|AwardWallet|uber|Lyft|airBNB|uberEats|DoorDash|Skip the Dishes|Ritual
Sep 13, 2021
18 posts
18 upvotes
I really like the idea of the Air Canada gift cards and the discount especially with the Aeroplan Reserve 10x promotion at grocery stores. Add the 10% into the mix... quite an attractive deal!

I bought a few cards for summer travel and used the flexibility of the comfort fare to cancel anytime with the uncertainty of the olde coronavirus. It was super convenient with all the different promos and discounts off base fares. HOWEVER - to get the funds back onto the gift card if you cancel a booking (e.g. 24-hour buyers remorse or flexible fare) it's a really irritating manual backend process that's not immediate. Word to the wise, try to use these gift cards for firm travel if you can. I ended up getting bit and had to spend cash to get a sale fare since they didn't find the gift card in time to take advantage of the sale.
Aug 25, 2010
129 posts
126 upvotes
eltonkk wrote: The AMEX AR 10x ended on Sept 23.
It depends when you got your Amex AR card. I got mine not too long ago so the 10x sign up promotion is still around for me.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8434 posts
2085 upvotes
*Buyers beware, if you pay your airfare with gift cards, you may forfeit your travel insurance or any form of protection from your credit card, even if it's partial paid*
Last edited by EPcjay on Sep 29th, 2021 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 18, 2018
902 posts
1037 upvotes
CanRulez wrote: That's only if you can pay for the entire booking with 2 gift cards. The max gift card is $500. If your booking is $1,200.00, the Air Canada system will only allow you to use one gift card of $500, and the other payment must satisfy the remaining balance of $700. In other words, you have to pay by credit card.

ya they get access early but if you travel once a year your getting a really good 10% interest for giving them the money. they have done this once or twice a year since well before covid too
Jun 2, 2020
270 posts
1814 upvotes
Thanks, OP. I was waiting for my Scotiabank passport credit card which will take 5-6 business days and I was worried if the flight ticket goes up for December. So, finally pulled the trigger and got $1000 GC for $900. Went to Sobeys, they have 100 Airmiles per 200$ Sobeys Gift card. Asked the sales guy, if I can pay for Air Canada Gc with Sobeys GC. He didn't know but he was willing to try.
So, tried with 450$ Sobeys gift card for 500$ Air Canada gift card and it worked! Will be getting some 400 Airmiles plus might get 4% from CIBC dividend grocery purchase.
Dec 20, 2010
348 posts
442 upvotes
Ottawa
zonda wrote: It depends when you got your Amex AR card. I got mine not too long ago so the 10x sign up promotion is still around for me.
If you collect AirMiles buy a Sobey's gift card first in increments of 150$ to get 100 Bonus Air Miles. This would net you 30$ of free groceries on a 500$ AC gift card. See ad at the bottom of this week's flyer.
Jun 9, 2018
49 posts
74 upvotes
UGO has a $10 bonus on $100 FreshCo gift cards, which you can use at Sobeys, until October 15.
The details say they can’t be used to buy gift cards, but maybe it’s worth trying, since the other guy could buy ac gift cards with Sobeys gift cards.
Oct 13, 2017
977 posts
971 upvotes
Hamilton
I didn't want to chance Ugo since their offer specifically said that it can't be used to purchase gift cards. Likely would have worked but didn't want to chance it. I did however take advantage of the air miles promo. Bought 5 $150 gift cards and then used the gift cards to buy 2 $500 Air Miles gift cards. Saved $100 and I'll get back 500 Air miles (about $52.50).
Jul 19, 2012
241 posts
525 upvotes
Victoria
Same deals at Thrify Foods in B.C. (owned by Sobeys).

Buy $150 in Smile Cards, get 100 Air Miles.
Get 10% off Air Canada gift cards.

Sweet combo. As always, this will still benefit the retailers more than us.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
6778 posts
6683 upvotes
Vancouver
pokeyshabadoo wrote: Same deals at Thrify Foods in B.C. (owned by Sobeys).

Buy $150 in Smile Cards, get 100 Air Miles.
Get 10% off Air Canada gift cards.

Sweet combo. As always, this will still benefit the retailers more than us.
Though the gift card conditions state that you cannot buy third party gift cards with a gift card at Thrifty Foods.

As well.. Smile Cards can only be used at Thrifty Foods.

Ron.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
6778 posts
6683 upvotes
Vancouver
CanRulez wrote: That's only if you can pay for the entire booking with 2 gift cards. The max gift card is $500. If your booking is $1,200.00, the Air Canada system will only allow you to use one gift card of $500, and the other payment must satisfy the remaining balance of $700. In other words, you have to pay by credit card.

I was poking around on the AC Gift Card site and noticed an option to reload a gift card..
https://aircanada.buyatab.com/custom/ai ... sible=null

Not sure how this works.. but if it will let you add funds to an existing card, you could use it to top up that card to $700 and pay for the $1200 booking with 2 gift cards.

Anyone want to test it out?

Ron.