Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Sobeys

Sobeys (Alberta) - Buy $100 GC, get $10 GC free = 10% off

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2013 11:10 am
Jun 17, 2006
594 posts
362 upvotes
Calgary

[Sobeys] Sobeys (Alberta) - Buy $100 GC, get $10 GC free = 10% off

Sobeys in Alberta (not sure about the other provinces) has a promotion this week where if you buy a $100 Sobeys gift card they will give you a $10 Sobeys gift card for free. So if you buy the gift card before you do your regular grocery shopping, and then pay for your groceries with the gift cards, it's basically like getting 10% off. Or you can do it multiple times if you're looking towards future purchases.

Customer service may be a bit confused on the process because this is the first time Sobey's has done this promotion, but it looks like the Sobeys computer systems are set-up pretty well for it. It seems to work better when you do them one by one rather than as a bunch.

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/30m4jg9.jpg[/IMG]

Very last page of the flyer:
https://www.sobeys.com/en/flyer/pages

(Disclaimer before people start saying Sobeys is expensive; I agree with you, but sometimes it's nevertheless the closest option.)
eBay Feedback: 118 and counting.
16 replies
Oct 26, 2009
81 posts
36 upvotes
Edmonton
This is RFD. Nobody here is financially handicapped/stupid enough to shop at Sobey's. What a bunch of crooks.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
colgem wrote: This is RFD. Nobody here is financially handicapped/stupid enough to shop at Sobey's. What a bunch of crooks.
I'm one of those handicapped/stupid enough to shop at Sobeys. Sometimes they have good sales that are better than anyone else. But some people may rather go to other places to pay more for their reasons.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2248 posts
908 upvotes
Edmonton
colgem wrote: This is RFD. Nobody here is financially handicapped/stupid enough to shop at Sobey's. What a bunch of crooks.
Isn't sobeys one of the more expensive grocery stores? When I actually go there, the prices aren't good at all. Sobeys is the one store that I'm puzzled why so many people shop at because I see no rewarding factors.
Dec 19, 2012
331 posts
152 upvotes
I would say they are not 10% more expensive then any other major grocery chain
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2006
1366 posts
280 upvotes
it's technically 1 - $100/$110 = 9.1% off
True RFD spirit, care about every PENNY.

"The tooth fairy teaches children that they can sell body parts for money."
Jun 17, 2006
594 posts
362 upvotes
Calgary
tablo13 wrote: Isn't sobeys one of the more expensive grocery stores? When I actually go there, the prices aren't good at all. Sobeys is the one store that I'm puzzled why so many people shop at because I see no rewarding factors.
I agree they're more expensive. In my case, I'm out in the suburbs but there's a Sobey's a 5 minute walk from the house, so I'll drop in on my walk home from the subway or walk there on a warm summer day. Given the location of many of the Sobeys stores, deep in neighborhoods (compared to Superstores and Walmarts tend to be in commercial areas), Sobeys is a reasonable option for some people some of the time. Agreed that 10% (or 9%) off at Superstore would be hotter than 9% off at Sobeys, but it is what it is.
tempta wrote: it's technically 1 - $100/$110 = 9.1% off
Heh, yeah, I figured that was probably the more correct way to do the math but on a lazy Saturday afternoon the idea of "$10 is 10% of $100" got the better of me. :-)
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
During the Aeroplan Star Challenge, I went to Sobeys everyday. I only buy the stuff that is on sale. For an example, for this weekend only, the top sirloin grilling steak is $3.99/lb. I stocked up a few on Friday. But I did not purchased any Sobyes GC. Instead, I went to next door, Rexall, to buy the 20% CT GC.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Mar 19, 2009
440 posts
250 upvotes
I do feel that most regular prices in my local sobeys are 10% more expensive than those in superstore, and some are probably 5% more expensive than those in the save-on-foods cross the street. I only go to the sobers occasionally to get aeroplan points for 6 family members & relatives to not lose their points due to the stupid one transaction per year policy from air canada.
May 21, 2002
775 posts
212 upvotes
Does the gift card work in the liquor store? If so not too bad a deal.....
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1425 posts
182 upvotes
can we use Sobeys gift cards to buy other company gift cards. i.e. Petro Can gift cards?
Jun 17, 2006
594 posts
362 upvotes
Calgary
99SiR wrote: Does the gift card work in the liquor store? If so not too bad a deal.....
Unfortunately no. I was actually in the Sobey's Liquor Store today and asked.
Nov 9, 2008
586 posts
135 upvotes
This title is misleading

Buy $100 sobeys GC and get $10 sobeys GC. Unless I am mistaken?

I mean it's not $10 with any GC they sell?
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
2967 posts
1983 upvotes
Edmonton
inc188 wrote: This title is misleading

When we bought our $100gc it rang in at $90.
Jun 17, 2006
594 posts
362 upvotes
Calgary
inc188 wrote: This title is misleading

Okay, yeah, given the recent Rexall promotion I could see how confusion could arise. I was concerned about title length. Mods, if you're able to fix the middle portion to read "Buy $100 Sobeys GC, get $10 Sobeys GC free" then please do so.
Dec 10, 2004
842 posts
103 upvotes
YEG
I shop at Sobeys as well. I'm within walking distance to a RCSS but I'd rather go to Sobeys and pay a little more because at least they keep their milk stocked and I don't have to wait 30 minutes in line.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2010
1338 posts
134 upvotes
Calgary
I waste $10 in gas driving to a further grocery chain to save $5 on groceries. I AM RFD!!!!!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)