Hot Deals

[Sobeys] Beef Brisket (whole) $2.99/lb, Campbell's Chunky Soup 3/$5 - May 21-27, 2020 (Ontario)

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2020 3:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2153 posts
3333 upvotes

[Sobeys] Beef Brisket (whole) $2.99/lb, Campbell's Chunky Soup 3/$5 - May 21-27, 2020 (Ontario)

Sobeys (Ontario)
May 21-27, 2020

Beef brisket (whole, cryovac packaged) $2.99/lb
Campbell's Chunky Soup (540mL) 3 for $5
Public Mobile client: $60 calls/texts/12.5GB
168 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1827 posts
1013 upvotes
Hamilton
I have done AA twice on the big green egg. Never again.
Good price OP but I will only do AAA if not Prime from now on.
Mar 15, 2005
613 posts
428 upvotes
CaptainCrash wrote: I have done AA twice on the big green egg. Never again.
I've only ever done from my local butcher or from Costco. I've been curious about AA VS AA. Why never again?
Too dry? Did you inject it beforehand or wrap it to ride out the stall?
Aug 24, 2006
944 posts
425 upvotes
Also on sale in the west (same price) at safeway.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2467 posts
581 upvotes
Belle River
Long slow cook cannot overcome?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2153 posts
3333 upvotes
hystavito wrote: Long slow cook cannot overcome?
That's what I've been wondering. Brisket is a tough cut.
Public Mobile client: $60 calls/texts/12.5GB
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
2221 posts
2723 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
computergeek541 wrote: Sobeys (Ontario)
May 21-27, 2020

Beef brisket (whole, cryovac packaged) $2.99/lb
Campbell's Chunky Soup (540mL) 3 for $5
Damn it...wished I saw this before buying the campbells chunky soup today. It was like $2.67 I think (or in that ballpark) at Valu-Mart. Only bought 4 as I can't seem to find the chicken sausage gumbo flavor at many stores or that it is sold out often. You do get some nice chunks of meat in this and more spiciness/heat then the jerk chicken. I find adding 1/4 can of water helps if you're just eating it straight out the can or keep it at it's normal strength and add some fresh broccoli & carrots.

Just the right size to fit in a USGI canteen cup with enough extra room in the can to add some potatos/carrots/broc if you're out for a day or out for a hike.
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2001
1857 posts
510 upvotes
Calgary
discoblues wrote: I've been curious about AA VS AA
Runner flush is your only chance to win/lose.

Sorry... the poker guy in me.
Sep 25, 2009
241 posts
77 upvotes
Would you mind elaborating more please? I always thought the grading was mainly on the marbling, where the brisket is not really a cut that is known for that to begin with?
(i may be totally wrong lol)
Sep 23, 2007
108 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto (Downtown)
strikeraj wrote: Would you mind elaborating more please? I always thought the grading was mainly on the marbling, where the brisket is not really a cut that is known for that to begin with?
You're not wrong about marbling, but brisket is actually a fatty cut (what makes it tough is the connective tissue), since we don't cut and cook brisket like a steak, it just doesn't get thought of the same way. I've never compared AA to AAA, but what's important is that in the flyer that "whole" brisket looks completely trimmed. If you want to throw it on the bbq for low and slow, you'll want some fat cap. Totally trimmed like that is good for hot and fast...if it's well marbled, which AA probably isn't. If you want to braise it, pot roast style, this would probably work just fine.

I raise money for charity selling bbq, so I happen to have several whole packer AAA briskets from Costco (at the new brutal price of $14.99/kg!). I might pop up to Sobeys tomorrow to see if any of these brisket are worth trying, but without a fat cap an AA cut is almost certainly going to be dry and disappointing on the bbq.
Aug 5, 2005
223 posts
133 upvotes
strikeraj wrote: Would you mind elaborating more please? I always thought the grading was mainly on the marbling, where the brisket is not really a cut that is known for that to begin with?
AAA/prime has a lot more intramuscular fat, so you can cook it much longer while keeping it moist. (You may call this marbling). When smoking AA you typically can't get it to the doneness level you want without turning it into a piece of cardboard. Smoking brisket (like any long cook) the doneness is based more on feel than temperature. IE: you want it to be probe soft, which could happen at 200-205*, but that isn't always the case, could be 195.. You need the fat to keep it from drying out. You'll have a hard time getting the 'jello' effect using a lower quality grade. Tons of great vids online to learn more about it, and different cooking methods.. Wrapping vs not wrapping.. Butchers paper vs foil, etc..

I agree, never AA again..
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1236 posts
154 upvotes
Brampton
This could be good for grinding your own hamburger. Thanks for posting the deal.
Aug 5, 2005
223 posts
133 upvotes
plymouthhater wrote: Anova have a lazy man's smoke recipe - 50 hrs sous vide and 3 hrs on smoker... with a 50 hr sous vide cook I bet you could make a workboot tender.

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recip ... -brisket-1
Yeah, there are work arounds for cheaper meats..

Also - I believe Guga suggests smoking first, then sous vide.. I'm not going to dig up his vids, but he (they) seem to think that method works better.