• Feb 27th, 2021 9:49 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1180 posts
870 upvotes
Oakville

[Sobeys] Striploin steak AAA Sterling Silver $8.99 AA $6.99

Starting Thursday 25 Feb, Sobey’s has their Sterling Silver AAA on sale for $8.99/lb. The AA is $6.99/lb.

I have always had good luck with Sterling Silver and prefer it over other retailers including Costco.

Tip: Ask the butcher for the steaks in the display cabinet as they always put the best cuts on display. Or, as I do, ask them to cut to your specs from a whole loin, centre cut.
48 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2015
3070 posts
2481 upvotes
Main & Hastings
What does "Sterling Silver" mean to you guys?
Penalty Box
Jul 6, 2018
604 posts
1056 upvotes
chilli604 wrote: What does "Sterling Silver" mean to you guys?
It's just a company owns some farms and sells beef. For some reason their steaks taste much better than the shit I buy at Metro.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2015
3070 posts
2481 upvotes
Main & Hastings
poopooplatter wrote: It's just a company owns some farms and sells beef. For some reason their steaks taste much better than the shit I buy at Metro.
Correct! Just a company name. The big companies are Cargill and JBS. Their stuff is what the majority eat
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
2464 posts
1152 upvotes
Edmonton
What's actually the difference between AAA vs AA? Is AAA worth $2 premium?
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3022 posts
2270 upvotes
Toronto
Not to knock the sale price but it is a pretty regular thing at the Weston family of stores.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1884 posts
1105 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
frankmp wrote: What's actually the difference between AAA vs AA?
<mitch-hedberg>
An A.
</mitch-hedberg>
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1180 posts
870 upvotes
Oakville
frankmp wrote: What's actually the difference between AAA vs AA? Is AAA worth $2 premium?
Typically more marbling with AAA. More marbling= more flavour. Worth the premium IMO. I would not ever buy AA.
Nov 10, 2013
374 posts
313 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
chilli604 wrote: What does "Sterling Silver" mean to you guys?
For Sobey's meat it means AAA, that's all.
Yes, IMO it's worth the $2 extra.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1884 posts
1105 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
LOOSEWHEEL wrote: Typically more marbling with AAA. More marbling= more flavour. Worth the premium IMO. I would not ever buy AA.
The quality chasm between AA and AAA is gigantic. AAA is soooo much better it's rather ridiculous.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1180 posts
870 upvotes
Oakville
caltran wrote: The quality chasm between AA and AAA is gigantic. AAA is soooo much better it's rather ridiculous.
There can also be a large gap between two pieces of AAA. You have to know how to pick ‘em..........
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3478 posts
1517 upvotes
Ottawa
LOOSEWHEEL wrote: Starting Thursday 25 Feb, Sobey’s has their Sterling Silver AAA on sale for $8.99/lb. The AA is $6.99/lb.

I have always had good luck with Sterling Silver and prefer it over other retailers including Costco.

Tip: Ask the butcher for the steaks in the display cabinet as they always put the best cuts on display. Or, as I do, ask them to cut to your specs from a whole loin, centre cut.
Center cut make a difference?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1180 posts
870 upvotes
Oakville
shylok wrote: Center cut make a difference?
Yes. It’s the cut closer to the rib and will not have the veining and connective tissue of the end cut. Avoid the ‘half-moon’ tell tale sign of an end cut..
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6353 posts
2009 upvotes
LOOSEWHEEL wrote: Typically more marbling with AAA. More marbling= more flavour. Worth the premium IMO. I would not ever buy AA.
I have found great marbled AA steaks numerous times at my sobeys, they were always excellent. Ive even had the butcher recommend it to me when the marbling is good.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2855 posts
2423 upvotes
Richmond Hill
LOOSEWHEEL wrote: Starting Thursday 25 Feb, Sobey’s has their Sterling Silver AAA on sale for $8.99/lb. The AA is $6.99/lb.

is ok deal. There was better deal before for AAA Ribeye at the same price.
Personally, I like beef from Longo's better, Don't get me wrong, Sobeys is not bad, I just prefer Longo's more.
Last edited by cheapshopper on Feb 24th, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7647 posts
695 upvotes
Toronto
Thoughts on this versus the AAA Angus T-Bone Stake selling at Longo's $10/lb ?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2855 posts
2423 upvotes
Richmond Hill
trixR4kids wrote: Thoughts on this versus the AAA Angus T-Bone Stake selling at Longo's $10/lb ?
I would go for Longo's T-Bone. Best to ask them to cut it for you so you can have a thicker cut.
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1180 posts
870 upvotes
Oakville
trixR4kids wrote: Thoughts on this versus the AAA Angus T-Bone Stake selling at Longo's $10/lb ?
Striploin for me. Granted the bone may add flavour, but you are also paying for the bone. With a T-bone, you have the strip, the bone and the filet. The filet lacks flavour. The bone is.....well.....the bone.
Why not just have the strip? Less work too.

And you can get the butcher to cut to your desired thickness. Or by the roast and cut your own.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
2389 posts
1084 upvotes
frankmp wrote: What's actually the difference between AAA vs AA? Is AAA worth $2 premium?
I guarantee most of these peasants couldn't tell the difference in taste between an AAA and an AA strip.