• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2019 6:16 pm
[OP]
Sep 14, 2012
214 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto

Sobeys-terrible for having sales items in stock

I rarely go to Sobey's as it is generally overpriced. Now and again they have a good deal, yet when I get to the store magically "The truck has not come in". This is getting to be a bad joke.

Today it was 8lb box of oranges prominently displayed on the opening page of their flyer as a great deal? Naturally, no orange boxes in the store and I get the lame "Waiting for the truck" story. Sorry, not interested in coming back or a rain cheque.

Last time it was meat on sale. Phantom sales seem to be their modus operandi. It's not like you can even find where the sale item is and you can see the shelf is bare...I am starting to suspect if it ever existed.
10 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
10490 posts
7724 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Don’t know about the Oranges on the front page specifically
(Whether your store ever got them... or a case of they just sold out already ... in which case ya, there may be more coming in on the next delivery)
But some of it may be your timing
This is Sunday afterall... and anything sold out over the weekend won’t be restocked until next week some time

Also, Sobey’s Flyers run Thursday thru Wednesday
And once a month, they have AirMiles Blue Friday’s
(February’s was this past Friday, the 1st)

Those events are EXTREMELY POPULAR
And increase the amount of Customers thru the store
It is my experience that a lot of stuff not only featured with Bonus AirMiles for that event
But a lot of Sale Items get a good going over during these events
As AMs Collectors rack up extra miles for buying more than $ 100 worth
So if an item is on Promo... it’s going to sell out fast that week
So much so that I know several AMs Collectors who Plan their Blue Friday visit extremely early on the Friday
Be it at the crack of dawn ... before work
Or some even visit the stores in the wee hours after midnight so to get the best deals before they are gone

So as a point of reference, in future you might want to check out the Sobey’s Flyers closer to when they are released on line (say mid week) and plan your shopping trip with that in mind especially if it’s a Blue Friday Week
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1411 posts
473 upvotes
London
I bought an 8lb box of oranges at Sobeys a month or so ago. Came home and weighed them...6 lbs. Emailed them and they told me to take it up with the manager. I never did, but I haven’t been back since.
Oct 14, 2017
891 posts
675 upvotes
GTA
I've run into a few OOS situations at the Sobeys in my area, but it seems at least a bit of a stretch to generalize from your personal experience, presumably at one store, to the entire chain.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
4843 posts
527 upvotes
Toronto
A friend of mine had the same issue with a can of coffee that was on sale in their flyer a while back. He went to buy it on the first day of the sale and couldn't find it. He asked for help and of course nobody knew anything about it. He went back a few times with no luck. He even tried a different location with the same result.
Aug 6, 2017
95 posts
86 upvotes
A few years ago I went to a Sobey's to get a deal on Chicken Wings that were advertised in the flyer. Not only did they not have any, there was no spot for them, and the stockmen told he they've never had them. I then reported them for bait and switch false advertising. I got a message that it was being investigated but never followed up on what happened, nor did I request a follow up. This doesn't apply though if they had stock and ran out so long as they had a reasonable amount to begin with.

https://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic ... .html#bait
[OP]
Sep 14, 2012
214 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2019 3:50 pm
Don’t know about the Oranges on the front page specifically
(Whether your store ever got them... or a case of they just sold out already ... in which case ya, there may be more coming in on the next delivery)
But some of it may be your timing
This is Sunday afterall... and anything sold out over the weekend won’t be restocked until next week some time

Also, Sobey’s Flyers run Thursday thru Wednesday
And once a month, they have AirMiles Blue Friday’s
(February’s was this past Friday, the 1st)

Those events are EXTREMELY POPULAR
And increase the amount of Customers thru the store
It is my experience that a lot of stuff not only featured with Bonus AirMiles for that event
But a lot of Sale Items get a good going over during these events
As AMs Collectors rack up extra miles for buying more than $ 100 worth
So if an item is on Promo... it’s going to sell out fast that week
So much so that I know several AMs Collectors who Plan their Blue Friday visit extremely early on the Friday
Be it at the crack of dawn ... before work
Or some even visit the stores in the wee hours after midnight so to get the best deals before they are gone

So as a point of reference, in future you might want to check out the Sobey’s Flyers closer to when they are released on line (say mid week) and plan your shopping trip with that in mind especially if it’s a Blue Friday Week

Yes, I get all that, but this has happened multiple times. I used to actually do my shopping there before 6am on a Saturday. Now if you don't have sale items on the floor on a Saturday morning, you know something is wrong.

Somehow No Frills and Fresh Co can actually manage to have their popular sale items in stock, is it unrealistic to expect a full priced non discount supermarket to do the same???
[OP]
Sep 14, 2012
214 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
Ok, then maybe I should retitele the thread "My Local Sobey is terrible about having sale items in stock".

Will that pass muster?Black Question Mark Ornament
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17779 posts
1766 upvotes
Space for rent
ichibansan wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2019 9:15 pm
Yes, I get all that, but this has happened multiple times. I used to actually do my shopping there before 6am on a Saturday. Now if you don't have sale items on the floor on a Saturday morning, you know something is wrong.

Somehow No Frills and Fresh Co can actually manage to have their popular sale items in stock, is it unrealistic to expect a full priced non discount supermarket to do the same???
Freshco is owned by Sobeys, fyi.

Same products but cheaper. Shop at Freshco.

Metro, Loblaws, SObeys, Luongos, et al try to sell you an experience but unfortunately more often than not you walk away with a poor one. Granted, you do have a little more civility with the premium stores whereas the 'no frills' stores are a free for all with the lowest of low commoners.
[OP]
Sep 14, 2012
214 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote:
Feb 4th, 2019 6:06 am
Freshco is owned by Sobeys, fyi.

Same products but cheaper. Shop at Freshco.

Metro, Loblaws, SObeys, Luongos, et al try to sell you an experience but unfortunately more often than not you walk away with a poor one. Granted, you do have a little more civility with the premium stores whereas the 'no frills' stores are a free for all with the lowest of low commoners.
I think we all know Sobey's owns Freshco. The one thing I don't like about Freshco is their produce. Definitely sub standard. For that either go to Walmart if you want it cheap, or perhaps Highland Farms for better quality.