social work? pros and cons

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2021 12:58 pm
[OP]
Jun 9, 2020
53 posts
30 upvotes

social work? pros and cons

anyone here work in social work? how do you like it? pros and cons.
i was told by a friend that im a good listener and should try social work or hospitality . im 42 years old and dont want a new career thats too long of schooling. one year or less. easy to get into and pretty much routine if possible. i have a learning disability and if too many steps to memorize i would just forgot it . i been fired before too. not much of a hands on guy .
2 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2876 posts
1572 upvotes
Ottawa
monchichipower wrote: anyone here work in social work? how do you like it? pros and cons.
i was told by a friend that im a good listener and should try social work or hospitality . im 42 years old and dont want a new career thats too long of schooling. one year or less. easy to get into and pretty much routine if possible. i have a learning disability and if too many steps to memorize i would just forgot it . i been fired before too. not much of a hands on guy .
You have an undergrad degree? An MSW is a good career track if you can get in. Not sure it's easy but that is subjective. I know you have been drifting for awhile so doubt you could get in. They do like older candidates but more people working in the social sector than people with a string of 6 months career stints.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5503 posts
1045 upvotes
monchichipower wrote: anyone here work in social work? how do you like it? pros and cons.
My girlfriend is an MSW, you need to be really high on the empathy spectrum for this kind of job.

It isn't just about listening it is about caring and solving problems. Remember a lot of people you interact with will be in some form of crisis or issue and their lives and health are in your hands.

Also there are techniques but it isn't so much about memorizing things as it is about connecting and finding pathways to solutions

If you are looking to change and think this is quick or easy, you probably want to look elsewhere