• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2019 4:30 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2005
5355 posts
2721 upvotes
WFH
Gee wrote: Why do people want to drink water with CO2 gas in it?

Doesn’t add flavour...
Sure is does. The low concentration of carbonic acid gives it a pleasantly tart flavour.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Walkin2 wrote: Hi
Is Soda stream worth buying if my family drinks 24 cans a week.
Thsnks
I have had my sodastream for many years and use it several times a day. I wouldn't be without one. However, I don't use the syrups, I'm just really addicted to fizzy water.
May 22, 2009
59 posts
18 upvotes
Capital City
Gee wrote: The carbonation can’t be good for you.
That's so alarmist, carbonated water is not dangerous.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
fattyburger11 wrote: BTW, I'm wondering are you pro or against vaccines?
To appease your curiosity.

Pro vaccines
Eat mushrooms
Eat yogurt

No orange juice
No pop
No alcohol

I’m not against Soda Stream. If you want to drink carbonated water, go for it. It’s just not for me. I’m sure it will go well with the fatty burger.

I never claimed it was dangerous. Just saying it’s not good for you (no nutritional value)

In case your wondering, no coffee either.
Mar 12, 2018
416 posts
624 upvotes
Gee wrote:
I never claimed it was dangerous. Just saying it’s not good for you (no nutritional value)
TIL water is not good for you.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
If you're drinking water (no matter how much) to stay hydrated, carbonization by itself probably has next to no effect, god or bad, other than perhaps making you gassy if you drink too much.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
fattyburger11 wrote: Do you not drink alcohol because it contains ethanol content, which is toxic at certain levels?
Snipped out the not-so-appropriate comparisons/analogies but it'd seem that there is no safe level of alcohol consumption: The stuff reacts with saliva to form a carcinogen. Just like there is no safe level of nitrites in meats because the stuff forms nitrosamines when it comes into contact with meat.

AFAIK, carbonization of water at normal temperatures and pressures isn't a health hazard.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
fattyburger11 wrote: Alcohol and carcinogens? That's way above my paygrade so I won't even comment on a rebuttal. All I can say is alcohol has an LD50 dose just like anything else and consuming well below that and you're likely to be fine. There can certainly be safe doses of alcohol consumption, as it is obvious from thousands of years of human history that people do not just fall dead from consuming alcohol.
Depends on who's paying for the study

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... st-cancer/
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
fattyburger11 wrote: No orange juice? Natural vitamin C man.

Do you not drink water then? Filtered tap water does contain minerals. And when you carbonate that, you don't lose it. It's no different to regular water.
Nothing natural about commercially processed orange juice.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2648305415/

As for water, I like mine with out CO2 since that is what our bodies expels, why would I intentionally put it back in?

You want natural vitamin C? Eat the orange.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12640 posts
6013 upvotes
Just to be clear>> orange juice is not bad for you but it's a lot of sugar so if you drink it, very small quantities.

Also>> carbonated water is not bad for you. A lot of nonsense on the internets.

As for SodaStream, I don't see the value in it if you can buy pop/soda on sale. Lots of deals out there every week. Pepsi bought SodaStream last week though so I suspect you will see better flavors coming soon. May even see lower prices.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/20/pepsico ... llion.html
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
torontotim wrote: Pick one up on Kijiji. Probably get it for $40 with a mostly full cartridge.

We like ours. 24 cans of what? Soda water? You don't buy this to save money - you buy it for convenience as much as anything. The cartridge should do about 40-60 liters from what I understand.

24 cans is about 8 liters, so you should be replacing the cartridge every 6 weeks or so.

We spritz up a bottle for dinner most nights depending on what we're eating. It's a nice touch and takes 5 seconds.

Pepsi spent multiple billions getting this. And people are selling it for $40? How is the product? What is it used for? I like my sodas. Coke, and Fresco or Diet 7up for a refreshing, not sweet drink while I'm cleaning, or doing work around the house.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2011
2351 posts
1122 upvotes
Edmonton
I've had mine for 5-6 years now and I like it.

However, I don't know how strongly I'd recommend one if you're using it to replace actual pop - their flavours are gross to acceptable and not really much of a savings over 12 packs on sale. The main advantage is that you don't have to deal with cans and bottles and returning for deposit.

But if you're using it for carbonated water or italian sodas, go for it.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2011
2351 posts
1122 upvotes
Edmonton
fattyburger11 wrote: I've been using sodastream to make carbonated water. To replace Perrier.

Their flavoring stuff I'm really not a fan of. My machine came with a bunch of samples but after I've used it all, I've never purchased any flavor packs again. You simply cannot replace the taste of coca cola.
I agree. They have what are supposed to be Diet Coke and Coke Zero replacements - and they're okay, but they aren't anything more than your average generic cola.

Their tonic isn't bad, though, and some of the unusual flavours (basil and lime, blackcurrant) were good too as they didn't try to replicate something else badly. Just expensive.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2007
2434 posts
328 upvotes
Waterloo
I often drink 3-4L of sodastream per day. Usually with a water enhancer added such as crystal light or kool aid.
For cost savings - I use a paintball tank with an adapter on it. I then get the paintball tank refilled locally for $5 instead of paying $20 for the sodastream one. I used to not be concerned about containments from from the paintball tank, but I might switch to the following method of refilling the official sodastream tank withbeverage grade dry ice using this method:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7069 posts
3383 upvotes
Vladimir wrote: I often drink 3-4L of sodastream per day. Usually with a water enhancer added such as crystal light or kool aid.
For cost savings - I use a paintball tank with an adapter on it. I then get the paintball tank refilled locally for $5 instead of paying $20 for the sodastream one. I used to not be concerned about containments from from the paintball tank, but I might switch to the following method of refilling the official sodastream tank withbeverage grade dry ice using this method:
Not all dry ice is food grade either. Some are clearly listed for event entertainment. Having fun yet?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7069 posts
3383 upvotes
SInce Coca-Cola bought SodaStream I wonder if they will jack up the price on CO2 canisters.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12640 posts
6013 upvotes
badOne wrote: SInce Coca-Cola bought SodaStream I wonder if they will jack up the price on CO2 canisters.
It's actually Pepsi - not Coke

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)