Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6068 posts
601 upvotes
SW Ontario

Sodium Bromide For spas

New to having a spa / hot tub. We have been using chlorine but would like to switch to bromine.

We got the bromine tabs but it says you need to start with Sodium Bromide. I see there is a few different names for it (bromine booster, brim-start etc) but I can’t seem to find it at any big box stores. Anyone know where a good place to get it is? We don’t have any spa stores near by, so looking to see if anyone has suggestions as to where it’s usually readily available? Seems odd the places that sell the tabs done seem
To carry the starter too.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
5124 posts
5250 upvotes
Vancouver
You could try Canadian Tire. Different stores carry different stocks of treatment chemicals, so you'd have to check your nearby local stores.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1157 upvotes
Hopefully you are getting advice from your local hot tub place. Maybe Google or something could help you but getting advice in person is better. I would be careful switching over as chlorine and bromine can NOT mix...I'm sure there is a process to switch it over but you gotta make sure all the old chlorine is totally out.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6068 posts
601 upvotes
SW Ontario
fusion2k2k wrote: Hopefully you are getting advice from your local hot tub place. Maybe Google or something could help you but getting advice in person is better. I would be careful switching over as chlorine and bromine can NOT mix...I'm sure there is a process to switch it over but you gotta make sure all the old chlorine is totally out.
I know dry mixing the chemicals is a big no. But everything I read says it’s perfectly fine to go from chlorine to bromine. But you can NOT go from bromine to chlorine without draining. That could be incorrect ofcourse. But multiple sources online say that.

I may keep using chlorine for a bit. But wanted to make sure to get the right stuff for bromine while it’s ‘in Season’ and easier to find at stores by us.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1157 upvotes
redgrandam wrote: I know dry mixing the chemicals is a big no. But everything I read says it’s perfectly fine to go from chlorine to bromine. But you can NOT go from bromine to chlorine without draining. That could be incorrect ofcourse. But multiple sources online say that.

I may keep using chlorine for a bit. But wanted to make sure to get the right stuff for bromine while it’s ‘in Season’ and easier to find at stores by us.
As far as I know Canadian Tire and Walmart carry it year round but I don't buy enough of it to notice. I have bromine and I love it, doesn't burn your eyes and needs very little maintenance.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3525 posts
2519 upvotes
Toronto
Why not drain and start with fresh water?

I liked Bromine, but have recently gone to salt water and a chlorine generator. Less maintenance of different levels and it works great.
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1184 upvotes
torontotim wrote: Why not drain and start with fresh water?

I liked Bromine, but have recently gone to salt water and a chlorine generator. Less maintenance of different levels and it works great.
Won't the salt water eat away at your heater ? I thought the slat water and spas was dead.
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3525 posts
2519 upvotes
Toronto
Well, there's a lot of debate on both sides, mostly from the companies selling salt systems and the companies selling alternatives to it.

The salt concentration is about 1/10 that of seawater. I honestly don't know how corrosive it is.
Jan 18, 2005
286 posts
82 upvotes
Canadian Tire used to carry it so you could build your bromine bank using it and MPS shock. But they stopped stocking it a year or so ago. You might find some under the hTh brand at Walmart. Stocktrack says some stores have stock.

It's getting harder to find for some reason.

My tub is around 1350 litres and takes 170ml to get to 10PPM free bromine. So it lasts quite a few season but if you find some stock up.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6068 posts
601 upvotes
SW Ontario
LttlScamp wrote: Canadian Tire used to carry it so you could build your bromine bank using it and MPS shock. But they stopped stocking it a year or so ago. You might find some under the hTh brand at Walmart. Stocktrack says some stores have stock.

It's getting harder to find for some reason.

My tub is around 1350 litres and takes 170ml to get to 10PPM free bromine. So it lasts quite a few season but if you find some stock up.
Thanks. Is there an alternative or are people just not building up their bromine bank like they should be then?
Nov 27, 2016
31 posts
14 upvotes
Sodium-bromide is banned in Canada you might want to find a different solution:

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/ ... omide.html

TLDR:

The Canadian government released the following risk mitigation measures to protect the general population from residual exposure.

Manufacturers have been informed of the new changes, and parts and supplies are no longer available for the maintenance of sodium bromide systems.
Manufacturers have cancelled all bromine swimming pools, spa electrolysis devices, or sodium bromide products intended for use in swimming pools and spa electrolysis devices.
Sodium bromide spa products used in combination with potassium monopersulfate are also no longer permitted for use.

https://rnrhottubs.com/what-does-canada ... even-mean/