Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
3530 posts
1625 upvotes
Canada

Sofa over heat vent?

We placed a sofa over a heat vent in the living room. There's 3 vents in the room so this one is covered by the sofa. The sofa does have legs so it's about 2 inches off the floor, so the vent does have some room to circulate. Any concerns with this setup? Is 2 inches enough clearance?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4752 posts
2193 upvotes
GTA
Your sofa will be nice and warm, see if you can find something like this to direct the airflow to the front of the sofa

Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1469 posts
908 upvotes
Barrie ON
If you are worried about the sofa catching fire, there is no need for concern. The maximum temperature from the air vent is probably never more than 90F degrees.

Now for the purposes of heating efficiency (i.e. money savings) , Shabby has the right idea. The item in his image is $13.77 at home depot. However I think the sharp bend in this product will place a restriction on air flow.

If you have enough vertical space I would suggest one of these. Two for $7.85 at Home Depot.

Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7131 posts
3351 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
We have used these and quite inexpensive.

Friends down south used as well but not for same reason. Their 2nd floor vents in ceiling so used deflector to keep air from blowing into their faces due to where bed is set.

Then in living room they have 3 [perhaps 4] floor vents. All covered with sofas and never noticed it being too hot or cold there. This particular room has no room on top, just roof.

Here's an interesting question: For houses with cathedral ceilings... since heat rises that particular room will be cooler so if do have a vent or two with sofa on top does that help in way to keep heat lower at least for a bit longer then without sofa?
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Nov 20, 2015
365 posts
107 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Woah, didnt even know these existed. Thanks for posting OP and thanks for the useful answers.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9723 posts
1981 upvotes
Toronto
Heat might melt any glue used in the sofa.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7131 posts
3351 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
gh05t wrote: Heat might melt any glue used in the sofa.
Good point... hopefully some staples there as well... guess it depends on quality of furniture bought.

In the example I stated above... been like that since mid 2000s. I'll ask them to check under sofa but more likely I'll have to check on our next visit.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Dec 7, 2005
262 posts
53 upvotes
Pickering
gh05t wrote: Heat might melt any glue used in the sofa.
How about avoiding all the hassle and just close the vent if you are worried. It will simply cause the airflow to go to the to other vents.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2756 posts
538 upvotes
enwhyRFD wrote: I find the following work best. You can adjust the popup to whatever height you want, in OP's case, the 2" clearance.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.3--x ... 15362.html
+1

we use these in several of our rooms, not only for under the sofa, but just regular bedroom, I find it makes the room warmer, maybe because if not using any, heat loss is very fast next to cold exterior walls/windows
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2930 posts
1095 upvotes
Windsor
vinaymal wrote: How about avoiding all the hassle and just close the vent if you are worried. It will simply cause the airflow to go to the to other vents.
The increase to those two vents would be dwarfed by the reduction of flow from the one you covered. You'd be reducing the heat to that room by 33%, and you'd maybe gain 4% flow from the other two. All the rest of that flow would be (roughly) evenly divided amongst all of the other registers in the house.

Those plastic covers are a good solution, but be warned they're pretty brittle; the clear ones break REAL easy (maybe if you slide the couch into it, or step on it for some reason), but the white plastic ones have a little more give (but are ugly ... IMO). In your case, the couch is on top, so not a big deal, but just in case you're thinking of using them in other places (like my parents did for a while; I think I personally accidentally smashed 10 of those).
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.