Computers & Electronics

Sofabaton X1 universal remote Coming soon

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2021 8:46 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 19, 2003
5311 posts
2036 upvotes
For those of you who did back them they sent out an email today.
Hi there,

Thanks for your support in backing our campaign!
We would love to hear from you to further improve our product and better design stretched goals for you.

Please click the link below to complete our short survey:
*Link*
We would really appreciate your input!

Thanks,
The Sofabaton Team
If you have feedback and want them to add or change something look for that email.
Sr. Member
Jan 15, 2010
557 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
Tha DraGun wrote: Someone on Facebook just said that there is not going to be IR on the remote itself. Only on the hub.
This is not a bad thing. Having it on the hub its much more reliable as you wont end up in a situation where you push the button and it doesn't finish turning off everything. You also don't have to worry about pointing the remote at the tv. Even on the harmony companion remotes they are hub only. I've only had one situation where I needed IR on the remote and the hub (which is available on the Harmony One) and that was very specific setup.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 12, 2004
11658 posts
2284 upvotes
Guelph
They have a model on amazon that I use with my fire tv. The remote has good build quality but the software is really basic/amateur. The app looks like it was written by one guy who you can email directly if you need support. The app works I guess. The remote has major battery drain issues. Sometimes it will lasts a long time and then it will kill the next set of batteries really quickly (same brand/batch). I hope the quality has gone up with this kickstarter model.
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 71-0-0 and counting.
Sr. Member
Aug 25, 2008
786 posts
606 upvotes
Almost ordered until I realized they dropped the numpad off this remote. Why?? I could live without a full keypad but what a giant PITA to change to specific channel. That and the placement of the volume and channel controls right at the bottom of the remote? Again, why would they do that? There's not enough remote to grip and use those buttons comfortably one handed. I bought the U1 from these guys and it's OKish but absolutely chews through batteries if I use it to control my Nvidia Shield. So bad that I removed the device from the remote. I think the X1 is a hard no - particularly at what they are suggesting as retail price ($200).
RFD deals:
Koodo $39 / 13 GB | PM $27 / 20 GB
TCL 65R617 $625
Viewsonic VX3268 32 Inch 144Hz 1ms Monitor $280
Sr. Member
Jan 15, 2010
557 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
Painman wrote: Almost ordered until I realized they dropped the numpad off this remote. Why??
This is pretty much how I felt. If I had the usual cable boxes the numbers would be more of an issue. But this remote seems to have removed a lot of useful buttons (for example a dedicated stop button). It pretty much is a remote tailored to streaming devices/apps.

I hope future iterations of the remote may come out with more. For now Harmony still works great for me.
Sr. Member
Aug 25, 2008
786 posts
606 upvotes
I have a Harmony Hub & Remote and it's just about perfect. I'm really surprised that they didn't create a clone of this system instead of what they came out with on the X1. You're right - this is clearly aimed at streamers but could have easily done both. Seems like they are missing a golden opportunity to step into the space vacated by Logitech.
RFD deals:
Koodo $39 / 13 GB | PM $27 / 20 GB
TCL 65R617 $625
Viewsonic VX3268 32 Inch 144Hz 1ms Monitor $280
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
1406 posts
853 upvotes
Toronto
Painman wrote: Almost ordered until I realized they dropped the numpad off this remote. Why?? I could live without a full keypad but what a giant PITA to change to specific channel. That and the placement of the volume and channel controls right at the bottom of the remote? Again, why would they do that? There's not enough remote to grip and use those buttons comfortably one handed. I bought the U1 from these guys and it's OKish but absolutely chews through batteries if I use it to control my Nvidia Shield. So bad that I removed the device from the remote. I think the X1 is a hard no - particularly at what they are suggesting as retail price ($200).
Is this the remote on Amazon?

https://www.amazon.ca/SofaBaton-U1-Smar ... 160&sr=8-2

It shows the remote with a numpad. I'd order it as it's similar to my Harmony 665 but it also has bluetooth. I'd like it as it can now control bluetooth devices like the Fire TV.
Sr. Member
Aug 25, 2008
786 posts
606 upvotes
Canuck_TO wrote: Is this the remote on Amazon?

https://www.amazon.ca/SofaBaton-U1-Smar ... 160&sr=8-2

It shows the remote with a numpad. I'd order it as it's similar to my Harmony 665 but it also has bluetooth. I'd like it as it can now control bluetooth devices like the Fire TV.
Yes, what you linked is the U1 (and what I own) that has a keyboard and bluetooth. But bluetooth, at least to the Nvidia Shield, chews through batteries and I removed it so I'm not replacing the batteries every week. I don't get why it's drawing so much power. The Nvidia remote has a coin battery and lasts forever.

This post is about the X1 which does not have a keypad.
RFD deals:
Koodo $39 / 13 GB | PM $27 / 20 GB
TCL 65R617 $625
Viewsonic VX3268 32 Inch 144Hz 1ms Monitor $280
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
1406 posts
853 upvotes
Toronto
Painman wrote: Yes, what you linked is the U1 (and what I own) that has a keyboard and bluetooth. But bluetooth, at least to the Nvidia Shield, chews through batteries and I removed it so I'm not replacing the batteries every week. I don't get why it's drawing so much power. The Nvidia remote has a coin battery and lasts forever.

This post is about the X1 which does not have a keypad.
Odd, when I originally looked at this only the U1 showed up. Now, I can see the X1 also showing up.

There could be a bluetooth issue where the Shield keeps communicating with the remote, preventing it from going into low power mode.
I checked online and a lot of people have reported similar Shield remote problems. It may be related to the remote listening for an "Ok Google" or similar.
Sr. Member
Aug 25, 2008
786 posts
606 upvotes
Canuck_TO wrote: Odd, when I originally looked at this only the U1 showed up. Now, I can see the X1 also showing up.

There could be a bluetooth issue where the Shield keeps communicating with the remote, preventing it from going into low power mode.
I checked online and a lot of people have reported similar Shield remote problems. It may be related to the remote listening for an "Ok Google" or similar.
Maybe. But the original remote that comes with the Shield has two CR2032 (225mAh x 2 = 450mAh total) coin batteries vs two eneloop pro (2500mAh x 2 = 5000mAh total) AA batteries that I have in the U1. If it's constantly checking in with the remote, you'd think it would kill the original remote batteries as well, but it doesn't. I also have OK, Google turned off in the Shield that I use the the U1 on as I have a Mini in the office for voice commands.
RFD deals:
Koodo $39 / 13 GB | PM $27 / 20 GB
TCL 65R617 $625
Viewsonic VX3268 32 Inch 144Hz 1ms Monitor $280
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
1406 posts
853 upvotes
Toronto
Painman wrote: Maybe. But the original remote that comes with the Shield has two CR2032 (225mAh x 2 = 450mAh total) coin batteries vs two eneloop pro (2500mAh x 2 = 5000mAh total) AA batteries that I have in the U1. If it's constantly checking in with the remote, you'd think it would kill the original remote batteries as well, but it doesn't. I also have OK, Google turned off in the Shield that I use the the U1 on as I have a Mini in the office for voice commands.
If it helps, here are the steps that Nvidia suggests, it also involves the Shield remote but at least you can try to reset the Shield side and see if there's a change:

Please open Setting - Apps - System Apps and scroll down and Select Android TV Remote Services and Clear Data, Clear Cache.
Now, please restart the Shield Android TV
Please reset the Shield Remote once:
Press and hold back, home and Mic button of Shield Remote for 50-60 seconds to reset the Remote.
After that pair the Shield Remote with Shield TV and check the issue.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)