Home & Garden

Soft close hinges and slides

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2020 2:23 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2003
1576 posts
100 upvotes

Soft close hinges and slides

House and kitchen cabinetry are about 2 years old. I've always noticed how annoying the slamming of them is - family seems to be incapable of being gentle on these things.

Now that we've been working from home for so long it's really getting to me more than before. I'vw seen some retrofit soft close dampers and slide products but not sure if I should try to retrofit or just replace. I've tried felt pads btw, but they're not doing it for me.

Probably about 14 doors and 5 drawers that need to be replaced.

Anyone have experience with a specific brand or ideas for me?
10 replies
Sr. Member
Jun 26, 2019
966 posts
710 upvotes
If you know where they are from or their make I'd try and get dampers first.

Otherwise get Blum.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2003
1576 posts
100 upvotes
They're FGV brand apparently?

I was looking at the Blum stuff but was hoping to get dampers instead of replacing the door hinges. No issues replacing the drawer slides so I can also get the full extension ones
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2831 posts
1300 upvotes
Mississauga
NRFDRFDR wrote: They're FGV brand apparently?

I was looking at the Blum stuff but was hoping to get dampers instead of replacing the door hinges. No issues replacing the drawer slides so I can also get the full extension ones
Blum has the damper built into the hinge and the ones that clip on, I have a version of both in my house. The ones that clip on might not work with your existing hinges.

I have seen some that mount onto the corner cabinet(separate from the hinges) but do not know how well they work
Sr. Member
Aug 4, 2006
611 posts
272 upvotes
GTA - Gwilly
NRFDRFDR wrote: House and kitchen cabinetry are about 2 years old. I've always noticed how annoying the slamming of them is - family seems to be incapable of being gentle on these things.

Now that we've been working from home for so long it's really getting to me more than before. I'vw seen some retrofit soft close dampers and slide products but not sure if I should try to retrofit or just replace. I've tried felt pads btw, but they're not doing it for me.

Probably about 14 doors and 5 drawers that need to be replaced.

Anyone have experience with a specific brand or ideas for me?
A poor man's solution ...

Check out Lee Valley

At one point, they sold just the damper by itself. Drill out a hole and push it in.

But the integrated closer in the hinge is the best way to go ... but it is more $$.

P.S. If you know who made the kitchen .... contact them for additional hinges.
Member
Feb 26, 2019
433 posts
380 upvotes
Ottawa
2flags wrote: A poor man's solution ...

Check out Lee Valley

At one point, they sold just the damper by itself. Drill out a hole and push it in.

But the integrated closer in the hinge is the best way to go ... but it is more $$.

P.S. If you know who made the kitchen .... contact them for additional hinges.
I used these retrofit dampers on a vanity door. They work very well. I would recommend as a cheap and easy solution.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2003
1576 posts
100 upvotes
Ooooh nice. Didn't see those on their site before.

I just sent a message to a vendor that sells fgv dampers, so once they get back to me I'll make a final decision I guess. Any feedback on fgv slow close hardware?

Also, I'm just going to replace the slides on my drawers with full extension soft close ball bearing ones. Any recommendations on the cheap-ish? I saw blum ones for like $55/pair.. Is that right for 20"??? Sounds a little nutty, no?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 11, 2001
9361 posts
1534 upvotes
Amazon sells soft close pair of 10 sets for relatively "cheap". I swapped out my entire kitchen and also installed pull out drawers in every cabinet. I just reused the old slides for my garage workshop so it was a 2in1 deal :)
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2003
1576 posts
100 upvotes
sleepyguy wrote: Amazon sells soft close pair of 10 sets for relatively "cheap". I swapped out my entire kitchen and also installed pull out drawers in every cabinet. I just reused the old slides for my garage workshop so it was a 2in1 deal :)
You're talking about the same blumotion dampers linked above? Really looking for some real life reviews, so if those worked for you I'd like to make sure I'm buying the same ones... Or are you referring to the amazon slides..?
Sr. Member
Aug 4, 2006
611 posts
272 upvotes
GTA - Gwilly
NRFDRFDR wrote: You're talking about the same blumotion dampers linked above? Really looking for some real life reviews, so if those worked for you I'd like to make sure I'm buying the same ones... Or are you referring to the amazon slides..?
I've used those dampers from LeeValley and can say they were/are very good. Nevertheless I upgraded the hinges when the old ones failed. For those cabinets that had the dampers installed ... now there are 2 systems on the door; soft close and the damper. Did want to remove the dampers as then I'll have to cover up the screw / hole (depending on how you decided to mount them).

But those soft close hinges from BLUM are very nice looking especially if you get the cover plates. Then again BLUM is a pricey brand. You could find cheaper.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9960 posts
5246 upvotes
Paris
Use these guys:

https://www.bcwlumberandplywood.com/pro ... er-slides/

$16.50 per set for soft close, less if you buy 10 at a time. Just off the 403 in Brantford, ON. They ship as OP doesnt list a location.

I have used their soft close and normal slides and they dont come with instructions or screws but are fantastic,

Top