Automotive

Is Soft Water OK to use when washing a vehicle?

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2019 11:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1643 posts
242 upvotes

Is Soft Water OK to use when washing a vehicle?

We recently upgraded out water system with soft water as we have hard city water.

I understand the salt is used to remove the ""hardness" from water and that there is a bit of sodium left in the water supply when it exits the tank.

Wanted to double check is usng soft water is fine on a car?

obviouly salt and water is not good for a car in the winter but i guessing this is likely a little different case. figured it wouldnt hurt to ask to be sure :)
5 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11718 posts
8197 upvotes
GTA, ON
I have used soft water as well as bypassed the system. Car is now 7.5yrs old and no rust.

I use the soft water when I'm too lazy to go into the basement to twist the bypass knob.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6395 posts
1065 upvotes
Don't forget that after you have washed your car you take towels of some kind and go over the car to wipe off the water. That also at the same time removes any salt or calcium or detergent or whatever the final spray of water might have contained. There will still be some residue left on your car in areas that you don't wipe down like wheel wells and undercarriage but that's not really an issue and the first rain shower you drive through will wash that away.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
Not 100% but I would assume car washes would use softened water. This way the soap etc is much more effective. The tiny bit of salt in the water is not going to rust out your car, there are much more pollutants (bird droppings, acid rain, road grime, brake dust, automotive fluids like washer fluid) that is much more corrosive to your paint.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1643 posts
242 upvotes
chimaican wrote: I have used soft water as well as bypassed the system. Car is now 7.5yrs old and no rust.

I use the soft water when I'm too lazy to go into the basement to twist the bypass knob.
woof wrote: Don't forget that after you have washed your car you take towels of some kind and go over the car to wipe off the water. That also at the same time removes any salt or calcium or detergent or whatever the final spray of water might have contained. There will still be some residue left on your car in areas that you don't wipe down like wheel wells and undercarriage but that's not really an issue and the first rain shower you drive through will wash that away.
fusion2k2k wrote: Not 100% but I would assume car washes would use softened water. This way the soap etc is much more effective. The tiny bit of salt in the water is not going to rust out your car, there are much more pollutants (bird droppings, acid rain, road grime, brake dust, automotive fluids like washer fluid) that is much more corrosive to your paint.
thanks everyone. the plumber didnt install a by pass and due to the layout of the basement, there wasnt an option of leaving one faucet on hard water so the entire system is like that unless we want to pay bigger bucks to add additional lines and faucet for a hard water only faucet.

glad to know the added sodium in the water wont cause any corrosion when washing a vehicle.
Aug 31, 2012
500 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
You need to have a hard water line to your kitchen and your outside tap. That water isn’t good for you to drink and it will burn out your grass. It is fine to wash the car though.