Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3281 posts
991 upvotes
Belle River

Software that doesn't run on AMD CPU?

I'm guessing this kinda thing isn't an issue anymore but I remember running into this problem in the past, I think it was some kinda virtual machine / emulation of another architecture, things like that, that wouldn't run on AMD CPU due to some missing feature. I've been running an Intel CPU as my daily driver for awhile, I'm considering replacing it with a new Ryzen system but I'd like to be sure I'm not gonna run into those kinds of issues.

I do a bunch of different things on my day to day PC besides the usual stuff, virtual machines, programming, bit of math software, graphics sometimes, various other geek stuff, etc. , so rather than ask about specifics I thought I'd ask in general to cast a wider net and see what comes up.

Anyone know of software that doesn't work on AMD CPUs?
14 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
2828 posts
152 upvotes
Calgary
osx vanilla kernel
6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1363 posts
699 upvotes
GTA
AVX512, QuickSync are the only known features that are missing from the new Ryzens that I know of. I use a Ryzen 1700X to run a proxmox server and host both linux and windows VMs.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1399 posts
968 upvotes
Vancouver
Intel Powergadget :D
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Dec 6, 2020
542 posts
536 upvotes
hystavito wrote: I'm guessing this kinda thing isn't an issue anymore but I remember running into this problem in the past, I think it was some kinda virtual machine / emulation of another architecture, things like that, that wouldn't run on AMD CPU due to some missing feature. I've been running an Intel CPU as my daily driver for awhile, I'm considering replacing it with a new Ryzen system but I'd like to be sure I'm not gonna run into those kinds of issues.
AMD and Intel still use incompatible instruction sets for hardware assisted virtualization. Modern virtualization software should support both type of chips, however. Every mainstream virtualization platform (VMWare, VirtualBox, or anything in the Linux world that uses KVM) should work without issue.

Math and graphics software will be an issue. Many tools in these categories use the Intel Math Kernel Library, which Intel has sabotaged so it runs very slowly on AMD hardware. There was a workaround to enable full performance, but Intel has since disabled it. This does impact MATLAB, NumPy, PyTorch, and any software compiled with the Intel C++ or Intel Fortran compilers.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3534 upvotes
Burnaby
A few months ago, we covered how Mathwork’s Matlab software didn’t run workloads on AMD CPUs at full speed. These products use the Intel Math Kernel Library, which will only run fully optimized code on Intel CPUs. AMD CPUs were shunted into using a different and much slower code path. Despite widespread speculation from the community that MathWorks might either be unable or unwilling to patch the issue, the company has surprised us all and fixed it.

According to NedFlanders1976 (the same individual who made the original Reddit report), MathWorks has incorporated a permanent path fix into Matlab 2020a, the latest version of its application. Essentially, Matlab now always starts in a mode that allows it to run AVX2 code on AMD CPUs. Previously, you could only force this capability by creating a System Environment Variable or a special batch file to launch the program.
^ Crippled No Longer: Matlab Now Runs on AMD CPUs at Full Speed, ExtremeTech, March 31, 2020

===

Thunderbolt used to be the biggest complain about AMD based computers but IINM some of the newest AMD hardware support TB4. Don't quote me on that, I'd have to double check.

Incompetent workers (and criminals) cover each other's "lower back"
Keywords: doxxers, moles, security breaches, cs*s,
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3281 posts
991 upvotes
Belle River
So I guess MATLAB is OK, which I don't use so far. NumPy and PyTorch and some stuff like that, when I google'd I couldn't find a definite yes they run just as well on AMD, though many people would say just run Nvidia GPU acceleration. I found discussions, most a bit old, but no clear answer for resolutions, other than a couple workarounds which may or may not still be relevant/work. Not sure I wanna get into the realm of always having to mess with workarounds though.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1473 posts
1642 upvotes
hystavito wrote: Not sure I wanna get into the realm of always having to mess with workarounds though.
I have heard no one outside of industrialist or programmer who will ever run into this problem in the last 10 years.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3281 posts
991 upvotes
Belle River
Cucumference wrote: I have heard no one outside of industrialist or programmer who will ever run into this problem in the last 10 years.
Programming is one of the intended uses, along with math software but so far not MATLAB.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
4845 posts
948 upvotes
rural ontario
While not all "AMD".. some software has issues with Ryzen. Older Linux software with an older kernel may bork on Ryzen, something to do with C6 wait states. I had this issue a while back with unraid.
My pre-Ryzen AMD systems never had an issue.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4321 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
I have come across a few pieces of software that just haven't been developed for AMD platform (protools is one i believe) making intel the only choice unfortunately. I always look up software if mentioned to me in any of my builds.
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1363 posts
699 upvotes
GTA
Any of the math intensive libraries should be making use of CUDA acceleration. Some of my machine-learning tools operate on CUDA cores. CPU's are generally just inefficient now for those types of tasks.

You'll see some Threadripper + high-end Nvidia GPU workstations just because of that strong CPU and strong GPU pairing.

There is the Opencl implementation that should allow AMD GPUs do the same work as Nvidia but that requires another community to be working on those ports.

Generic programming just prefers a fast CPU, not preferred to any hardware acceleration so finding the fastest CPU + multi-threaded support would end up being a Ryzen buy right now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3281 posts
991 upvotes
Belle River
Yeah CUDA is definitely the thing now for a lot of uses, like you said machine learning. I don't have an Nvidia GPU in my current daily use PC, I might get one eventually if the market ever gets back to normal, I was going to look into ways to make use of my gaming PC like run a Jupyter Notebook server on it or something.

Hmm, I can't decide if I might regret going with AMD or not. I kinda expected the consensus would be like nah don't worry about it. Some issues raised here I didn't know about, like the Intel Math Kernel Library.
May 29, 2004
482 posts
131 upvotes
you still can run osx on vmware with the patch + some faking cpu to be intel ;)
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2861 posts
1024 upvotes
Windsor
Cucumference wrote: I have heard no one outside of industrialist or programmer who will ever run into this problem in the last 10 years.
The VME bug in 1xxx CPUs was a problem for me: WinXP would not run. AMD bandaided this so it usually works with 1 CPU, but it still crashes the host for 2+ CPUs last I checked. I used hyper-v.

Also, the current version of sisoftsandra will crash my PC if I try to use the processor information tool. I haven't tried with my 5900x I don't think, but 1700x and 2700x definitely had this issue. I believe this is the same vme bug, because a client vm can crash the host PC.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.