• Aug 17th, 2019 8:20 am
[OP]
Jul 22, 2014
22 posts
3 upvotes
Huntsville

Software to make a basic floor plan

Hello:

I need to request a building permit and need to submit the floor layout. Any experiences with the online "free" software out there? or a paying application that can recommend for a one time project? don't need to buy a year subscription or a full license. I have all the measurements and all the information to do it myself.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
13 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12325 posts
6892 upvotes
Brampton
At the time I needed to get my floor plan done quick so I used Excel to do in less than 30 mins.
It's not as good as some other dedicated tools and I didn't want to learn something I was rarely going to use.

Here's a quick guide on how to use excel.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2474 posts
1445 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Sketchup and search YouTube for tutorials... It's fairly easy to do a simple layout
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6649 posts
2991 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I used Room Arranger.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Jul 22, 2014
22 posts
3 upvotes
Huntsville
Hello Schade, thanks for the reply. Is this a free software that can be used to save or print the file? I'm asking is because some of the free online software let you do the design and everything and then when you need to print or save won't allow it unless you pay the subscription.
May 11, 2008
825 posts
363 upvotes
Vancouver
I'll second SketchUp, since it's free and should have all the functionality that you'd need.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1439 posts
249 upvotes
Grimsby
logggr wrote: Hello Schade, thanks for the reply. Is this a free software that can be used to save or print the file? I'm asking is because some of the free online software let you do the design and everything and then when you need to print or save won't allow it unless you pay the subscription.
When you have done your drawing try clicking the 'Print screen' or 'PRN SCR' button next to the F12 button on desktop keyboards. Then open your photo editing program and click 'Paste' then save.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4837 posts
4898 upvotes
Vancouver
I've used Sweet Home 3D for situations where I need 3D visualization, and it was fine for a free tool. Runs in a web browser so it's platform-agnostic. It does 2-D floorplans, but I was looking for the 3D feature to visualize a deck design and a storage room layout.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4284 posts
1557 upvotes
WFH
aznrsx1979 wrote: I'll second SketchUp, since it's free and should have all the functionality that you'd need.
Isn't SketchUp just a 30 day trial?
May 11, 2008
825 posts
363 upvotes
Vancouver
dirtmover wrote: Isn't SketchUp just a 30 day trial?
I think a past version was a 30 day trial.
It's been a while since I've downloaded it but it looks like SketchUp for Personal is free.
All the other versions you'll need to pay.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4284 posts
1557 upvotes
WFH
aznrsx1979 wrote: I think a past version was a 30 day trial.
It's been a while since I've downloaded it but it looks like SketchUp for Personal is free.
All the other versions you'll need to pay.
Ah yes, Personal is indeed free. I'm pretty sure it was only a 30 day trial last time I considered it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6796 posts
2348 upvotes
GTA
dirtmover wrote: Isn't SketchUp just a 30 day trial?
Sketch Up Pro with LayOut has a 30 day free trial, I used it last month.