[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2171 posts
565 upvotes
Lévis

software to test internet stability

Hi folks,
I like to have a recommandation of a free software that is easy to use to test my internet stability. I'm not interested in speed.
Thanks
Pourquoi pas?
19 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4591 posts
4655 upvotes
Vancouver
If it's just connection up time you want to check, you probably want a web service like Uptime Robot or Pingdom. These are usually used for web site monitoring, but you can also set them to ping your home IP address and make sure they can get through to your router at regular intervals like 5 minutes (pay for more sites or shorter intervals). You can track your internet connection up time, and get an email alert if your home internet connection goes down.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10328 posts
2700 upvotes
Winnipeg
torrent some linux distro and max connections and see how long and stable.

Honestly for raw stability for multiple clients a router that supports true sqm cake for buffer bloat works best.Unfortunately none can very well at all or much better than 100mbps. outside that for cheap..and rpi 4 for upto 500mbps, after that an x86 computer.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4515 posts
1483 upvotes
Vancouver
Pingplotter free

https://www.pingplotter.com/download

"New downloads include a free 14-day trial of PingPlotter Professional. After the trial expires, you can keep using PingPlotter Free as long as you like."

Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10360 posts
6830 upvotes
"software to test internet stability" - The internet is always up.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1261 posts
687 upvotes
Toronto
chatbox wrote: "software to test internet stability" - The internet is always up.
Not if Jen takes it to a presentation and someone falls on it.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4591 posts
4655 upvotes
Vancouver
The Canterbury Tail wrote: Not if Jen takes it to a presentation and someone falls on it.
Don't worry, she can always explain it in Italian.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1366 posts
470 upvotes
In Run type in command prompt

cmd

then type ping google.com -t

it will give you list of numbers. What we are looking at is Time (ms) millisecond.
With Wired connection it should be 20 to 40 ms
With Wifi connection it should go up to 80 ms

if its 100 200 300 400 1000 2000 ms then we have instability with internet. Packet Loss

It might be firewall setting etc
Might need to update a network card driver etc.
Might be motherboard built in LAN is not up to task, might require separate Network card etc.

I am just beginning to look at this, my millisecond numbers are high 200-2000 ms. Packet loss. This is just from watching youtube video.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1366 posts
470 upvotes
OK, I figured something out

Go into Router, mine is DLINK
http://192.168.0.1/

Go into Wireless Settings>Manual Wireless Network Setup>

Enable Auto Channel Scan

Wireless Channel, Mine was set to 2.437 GHz - Channel 6. (I changed this to Channel 11) ran ping google.com -t again and Time millisecond look OK all of them around 80 ms.

How stable internet remains to be seen but Time ms looks ok so packet loss should be ok too.

Other 2 line you may try in Command Prompt to get accurate millisecond.

ping www.google.com -l 1400 -n 500

ping www.google.com -t -l 1400
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10020 posts
877 upvotes
Toronto
run two youtube 4k streams see how it handles it.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4591 posts
4655 upvotes
Vancouver
MasterMK wrote: In Run type in command prompt

cmd

then type ping google.com -t
You might want to check out the free version of pingplotter instead of doing all this manually.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1366 posts
470 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: You might want to check out the free version of pingplotter instead of doing all this manually.
I did install it, but was getting nothing in line graph and bar chart. I thought, I needed license key to get it working.

Tried it to install again. This this time, I turned OFF my Outpost Pro Firewall for a period of 5 minute. PingPlotter is working. I watched some youtube video where they say first 1, 2 and 3 are more important than rest of line chart. I have to read little bit about chart reading on pingplotter website or youtube again.

Used it on google.com website most of my number were in 20's, thought it was excellent since I am on WiFi. They usually say it goes up to 80's for Wifi. The only change I made was to Primary DNS 8.8.8.8 and Secondary DNS 8.8.4.4. in DLink Router. (playing around with it, don't know about security)

After 4 minute or so Packet Loss % started increasing RED on bottom graph. Then I realized, it must be my Outpost Pro Firewall. (Let it turn off for 5 minute than it turn back ON again.) I set my firewall to Stealth mode security. I have to figure out how to setup Outpost Pro Firewall to best of it ability with proper access to Internet. Then again, it might not be Outpost, could be something different. I did put my IP address into Outpost and Windows 7 ultimate Firewall, that must be looked at too.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2171 posts
565 upvotes
Lévis
trane0 wrote: I've used smokeping for this in the past.

However, it might be some effort to get it running on Windows, if you don't have a linux box to run it on.

https://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/
What I want is to monitor how's my connection over a period of time. I'm not really intrested in ping time or else. These 2 products seems to be the best contenders. I have students in the basement and I provide internet to them. Their connection is not stable at all. I highly suspect it's the kidswifi device that I installed for them. Could also be the 2,4 GHz wifi from the router but I'll bet on the former.

thanks
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3050 posts
525 upvotes
Toronto
SPARTACVS wrote: What I want is to monitor how's my connection over a period of time. I'm not really intrested in ping time or else. These 2 products seems to be the best contenders. I have students in the basement and I provide internet to them. Their connection is not stable at all. I highly suspect it's the kidswifi device that I installed for them. Could also be the 2,4 GHz wifi from the router but I'll bet on the former.

thanks
smokeping monitors ping over time, which shows internet latency over time, which shows your connection stability over time, which was exactly what you asked for in your post.

If your tenants use a wifi AP and they have stability problems, it could be either that the AP is not located in a way that provides strong signal, or there is a problem between that AP and the rest of your network. Do your tenants have a dedicated AP? How is it connected to your network?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2171 posts
565 upvotes
Lévis
trane0 wrote: smokeping monitors ping over time, which shows internet latency over time, which shows your connection stability over time, which was exactly what you asked for in your post.

If your tenants use a wifi AP and they have stability problems, it could be either that the AP is not located in a way that provides strong signal, or there is a problem between that AP and the rest of your network. Do your tenants have a dedicated AP? How is it connected to your network?
Excuse me but what is an AP?
They have kidswifi (https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/Kidswifi-con ... B075XGG4L5) which is a hardware box you plug in a wall. I think it also serve as a signal extender. I wanted to have some control over my tenants internet and, while not exactly not what I wanted, it's the best I found that was easy to setup. As far as I know, the device shows it's a the right distance.
Also, the 2,4 GHz wifi is dedicated to them.

thanks
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3050 posts
525 upvotes
Toronto
SPARTACVS wrote: Excuse me but what is an AP?
They have kidswifi (https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/Kidswifi-con ... B075XGG4L5) which is a hardware box you plug in a wall. I think it also serve as a signal extender. I wanted to have some control over my tenants internet and, while not exactly not what I wanted, it's the best I found that was easy to setup. As far as I know, the device shows it's a the right distance.
Also, the 2,4 GHz wifi is dedicated to them.

thanks
AP = Access point. This kidswifi device is an access point. Is it connected to your network via ethernet cable?