Softwash vs Manual Roof Cleaning

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2021 9:31 pm
[OP]
Jul 12, 2015
423 posts
551 upvotes

Softwash vs Manual Roof Cleaning

We have a 12 yr old asphalt shingled roof that is still in pretty good shape. There is no moss growth, but some areas of the shingles appear darker than others, and there are dried tree needles and various small vegetation debris on it.

We thought of getting it cleaned and have been getting various quotes that range widely in price from $400 to $900 along with various advice on what we should or should not do from these companies.

Some recommend that we should get it soft washed and have a treatment applied to it. Others said that it's best to clean it by hand, and those treatment solutions are a waste of money and using any type of pressure washing on the shingles could damage them and cause leakage.

Any first hand and/or professional advice is most appreciated.
96D290AD-1FF8-4C78-A843-27B6D2CA7C60.jpeg
2 replies
Oct 22, 2016
898 posts
812 upvotes
Comox Valley
I would just sweep it off, and use a garden hose to give it a rinse. You do not want to do any damage to the shingles, and I have low faith in any product in doing that, for these types of shingles. The roof serves a purpose, and messing around with that purpose can sometimes, been worst than the cure.

I did a roof for a person, 10 years later he had it cleaned by a company with a pressure washer, and they screwed up the roof royally.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
2157 posts
379 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

Didn't the gutter drains ever get so clogged with pine needles that the water overflowed the gutters when it rained? You should clean out the gutters & use a corn broom or leaf blower to remove debris from the roof. I don't worry about small stuff that lands on my roof, there is a good chance the wind will blow it off my roof for me. If the stuff landed in the gutters, then it was a concern. Usually had to clean out the gutters twice a year.