Home & Garden

Solar Window Film

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2020 1:12 pm
Jan 19, 2013
101 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
For future reference if anyone is interested, I had a quote done for 3M Thinsulate window film.

Final quote came in at about $25/sq ft exl HST. This was done by one of the dealers on the 3M site, from what I understand 3M film can't be supplied to consumers.
Oct 14, 2007
373 posts
47 upvotes
I used Apex window tinting in my new home for heat reflection and privacy (close to the sidewalk). This was about 6 years ago

Would recommend again based on my experience.

I had all the windows on the main floor of my home tinted. This is over 35 panes.

I also had the the windows in my stairwell tinted. This was 3 separate panes spanning two floors and they needed to set up a scaffold. It took them one whole day to do all the windows.

Because of the brand of tinting we did (can’t remember the name) it also was covered for insurance so that if the window cracked or something else happened due to the tint they would pay for the replacement (I think within 2 years).

I can’t remember the exact price but I think it was around $1300

I also wanted to note that I had 4 window panes crack within 2 years of moving into the home and install of tint. but the house was also brand new so I’m not sure if it was due to settling or the house or improper install or manufacturing defect. Each time apex came put to replace the tint on the window free of charge. For this the window replacement was covered by the home builder.
Oct 14, 2007
373 posts
47 upvotes
I think a lot of the confusion about the harms or draw backs to tinting your home windows involves low-e windows. When Apex came to do the quote they had some kind of portable device that they used to determine if the low e coating was on the outside pane or the interior pane (I have double
Pane windows). Because the low e layer was on the interior pane I was restricted to certain brands and percentage tints to be covered under the warranty.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17377 upvotes
Markham
Wonivek wrote: I used Apex window tinting in my new home for heat reflection and privacy (close to the sidewalk). This was about 6 years ago

Would recommend again based on my experience.

I had all the windows on the main floor of my home tinted. This is over 35 panes.

I also had the the windows in my stairwell tinted. This was 3 separate panes spanning two floors and they needed to set up a scaffold. It took them one whole day to do all the windows.

Because of the brand of tinting we did (can’t remember the name) it also was covered for insurance so that if the window cracked or something else happened due to the tint they would pay for the replacement (I think within 2 years).

I can’t remember the exact price but I think it was around $1300

I also wanted to note that I had 4 window panes crack within 2 years of moving into the home and install of tint. but the house was also brand new so I’m not sure if it was due to settling or the house or improper install or manufacturing defect. Each time apex came put to replace the tint on the window free of charge. For this the window replacement was covered by the home builder.
You situation would be different from most. The fear of putting films on wrong is the window breaking and you have to pay for and replace the window glass.

Is your Apex film reflective like a mirror from the outside looking in?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!