Scammers and Warnings

Sold a computer mouse. Buyer claims box is empty after he returns to open it.

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 16th, 2020 3:45 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 24, 2016
1549 posts
1621 upvotes

Sold a computer mouse. Buyer claims box is empty after he returns to open it.

So I sold a mouse that I got from bestbuy to some guy. The box was sealed. A day later he contacts me and claims that the box is empty, all that was inside was a cable and a battery. He picked it up from my house so it was pretty obvious that I wasn't trying to scam the guy. Anyways he threatens to report me to kijiji and the authorities while yelling the whole time. I obviously said I can't refund him the money or give him another mouse. I promised to go sort things out for him at bestbuy. The guys threatens me I quote "Forget it, you have not heard the last of me. This isn't over yet. You will hear from me soon". Honestly some people have no decency, you messed up by not checking the box and then you have the nerve of yelling at me when I offer to help. Instead of helping him I could have very easily ignored his calls and not open the door to meet the guy. I have sold countless things, items worth 10x the valuie of the mouse. I have never faced this problem before, buyers have walked away with brand new sealed and never contacted me again. While there are some buyers that decide to check if the item is there right on the spot I never stop them because I would want to check the contents before I purchase anything from a random stranger. But if this guy was trying to scam me this would be the first time I have ever heard of this scam.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3263 posts
1616 upvotes
Toronto, ON
MastaOogway wrote: So I sold a mouse that I got from bestbuy to some guy. The box was sealed. A day later he contacts me and claims that the box is empty, all that was inside was a cable and a battery. He picked it up from my house so it was pretty obvious that I wasn't trying to scam the guy. Anyways he threatens to report me to kijiji and the authorities while yelling the whole time. I obviously said I can't refund him the money or give him another mouse. I promised to go sort things out for him at bestbuy. The guys threatens me I quote "Forget it, you have not heard the last of me. This isn't over yet. You will hear from me soon". Honestly some people have no decency, you messed up by not checking the box and then you have the nerve of yelling at me when I offer to help. Instead of helping him I could have very easily ignored his calls and not open the door to meet the guy. I have sold countless things, items worth 10x the valuie of the mouse. I have never faced this problem before, buyers have walked away with brand new sealed and never contacted me again. While there are some buyers that decide to check if the item is there right on the spot I never stop them because I would want to check the contents before I purchase anything from a random stranger. But if this guy was trying to scam me this would be the first time I have ever heard of this scam.
Was the box sealed from manufacturers? Do you have camera in or around the house when the guy took the box? How much was this mouse anyway?

Clearly looks like the guy is out to scam you, but if the box you bought at BB was an open box item, then they could have also made a mistake when shelving it. But if you know the item is NEW and SEALED, just ignore the arse and don't answer his calls. If he starts to swear at you or threatens you even more, go to the cops and file a complaint.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 24, 2016
1549 posts
1621 upvotes
lamboman wrote: Was the box sealed from manufacturers? Do you have camera in or around the house when the guy took the box? How much was this mouse anyway?

Clearly looks like the guy is out to scam you, but if the box you bought at BB was an open box item, then they could have also made a mistake when shelving it. But if you know the item is NEW and SEALED, just ignore the arse and don't answer his calls. If he starts to swear at you or threatens you even more, go to the cops and file a complaint.
So I bought it from best buy new and sealed. Ya honestly pretty sure he was out to scam on the count that i offered to sort it out for him and he said forget it and drove off so fast.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8881 posts
4202 upvotes
Markham
MastaOogway wrote: So I bought it from best buy new and sealed. Ya honestly pretty sure he was out to scam on the count that i offered to sort it out for him and he said forget it and drove off so fast.
Next time, don't do business with strangers in your house
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10801 posts
1947 upvotes
Toronto
Old thread...

The guy is obviously trying to scam you.

This probably was and is the last time you'll hear from him.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10203 posts
6452 upvotes
Never sell at home. You just don't know what kind of strange people you'll come across.

Top