• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2019 12:16 am
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 11, 2012
119 posts
66 upvotes

Sold house, vacating early any advice?

I sold my house and will sign the closing documents one week prior to the new owners taking possession and vacating the property at that time. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on the matter. Aside from turning off the gas and keeping the A/C flowing, are there any safety measures I should take? I’ve cancelled my insurance but should I tell them that I’m leaving a week early, does it matter if they know? Any insight or advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
35 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1930 posts
901 upvotes
Alliston, ON
You should have insurance on the place until the day it legally changes hands. If there's a water leak or natural disaster you'll be responsible for repairs out of pocket.

Once the closing date passes the new owners can move in whenever they want and you are no longer responsible for the property
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9681 posts
6083 upvotes
Edmonton
AllenWayne wrote:
Jun 30th, 2019 5:30 pm
I sold my house and will sign the closing documents one week prior to the new owners taking possession and vacating the property at that time. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on the matter. Aside from turning off the gas and keeping the A/C flowing, are there any safety measures I should take? I’ve cancelled my insurance but should I tell them that I’m leaving a week early, does it matter if they know? Any insight or advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
As previously mentioned... the property is your responsibility till the possession date, no matter when you sign your papers. So keep the insurance on it till the possession date. You could turn off all the utilities, since the risk of pipes freezing is fairly low these days.

Other than that, it’s not really different than going on holidays for a week. Not really a big deal.

Oh... just thought of the fridge. If you’re going to turn off the power early, make sure you leave the fridge/freezer doors open. In fact, I might leave the power on till the last day just for them. Otherwise they might might get pretty ripe.

C
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
6784 posts
1750 upvotes
Maple
AllenWayne wrote:
What do lawyer and agent say?
[OP]
Oct 11, 2012
119 posts
66 upvotes
schade wrote:
Jun 30th, 2019 6:00 pm
You should have insurance on the place until the day it legally changes hands. If there's a water leak or natural disaster you'll be responsible for repairs out of pocket.

Once the closing date passes the new owners can move in whenever they want and you are no longer responsible for the property
Thanks. I do have insurance coverage up to the date of possession.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28586 posts
14359 upvotes
Ottawa
Turn off the main water line.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8797 posts
5107 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
I wouldn't turn off the gas unless the water heater is 100% electric.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Oct 11, 2012
119 posts
66 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Jun 30th, 2019 6:05 pm
As previously mentioned... the property is your responsibility till the possession date, no matter when you sign your papers. So keep the insurance on it till the possession date. You could turn off all the utilities, since the risk of pipes freezing is fairly low these days.

Other than that, it’s not really different than going on holidays for a week. Not really a big deal.

Oh... just thought of the fridge. If you’re going to turn off the power early, make sure you leave the fridge/freezer doors open. In fact, I might leave the power on till the last day just for them. Otherwise they might might get pretty ripe.

C
Thank you. So you would shut off the main water as well? I’m going to leave the power on because I want the house to be cool when the new owners come through for the final walkthrough two days prior to closing. I have a Nest thermostat, does anyone know if I can remove my account (and wi-fi) and then set a schedule manually?
[OP]
Oct 11, 2012
119 posts
66 upvotes
teoconca wrote:
Jun 30th, 2019 6:09 pm
What do lawyer and agent say?
Haven’t told my agent yet but lawyer’s assistant says I’m good to go.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4341 posts
1626 upvotes
AllenWayne wrote:
Your insurance may request/require that you or someone check in on the house daily, as if you were on vacation.(some policies require this) If something were to happen how would you know
Last edited by Red_Army on Jun 30th, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Oct 11, 2012
119 posts
66 upvotes
chimaican wrote:
Jun 30th, 2019 6:10 pm
Water heater to vacation mode, set thermostat to away/vacation settings, leave everything else as is. If you really want to cheap out, unplug the fridge but leave the doors open as mentioned. I really wouldn't worry about the phantom energy drain though, it won't add up to much.
Is there a switch on the water heater for vacation mode?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4341 posts
1626 upvotes
AllenWayne wrote:
Jun 30th, 2019 6:30 pm
If you plan on turning off the gas it really doesent matter. If you’re on electric just turn the breaker off

Be advised, water temp in the tank should be 140 Fahrenheit to prevent bacteria growth. I don’t think 1 week will have much affect though
Last edited by Red_Army on Jun 30th, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Oct 11, 2012
119 posts
66 upvotes
Red_Army wrote:
Your insurance may request/require that you or someone check in on the house daily. If something were to happen how would you know
Thank you. I was thinking the insurance company might want to know. I’ll give them a call tomorrow.
[OP]
Oct 11, 2012
119 posts
66 upvotes
Red_Army wrote:
Jun 30th, 2019 6:32 pm
If you plan on turning off the gas it really doesent matter. If you’re on electric just turn the breaker off
Is there any issue with just leaving the gas on for the week? I have a gas HWT.
Last edited by AllenWayne on Jun 30th, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8797 posts
5107 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
AllenWayne wrote:
The temperature control panel/dial on the tank should have a tick that says vacation. It lowers the temperature of the water in the tank to the minimum safe temperature. I would not lower it any lower.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!