Sold a safetied 1999 civic and now buying is trying to sue me

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2021 2:43 pm
[OP]
May 16, 2021
5 posts
6 upvotes

Sold a safetied 1999 civic and now buying is trying to sue me

A few weeks ago I sold a 1999 Honda Civic ex... prior to selling the car I brought it to my mechanic to change a tire since one tire was a mismatch tire because I got a flat a while ago. So before selling the vehicle I wanted to put the correct size tire on. While the vehicle was at the mechanics the buyer was interested in the car and asked if I could get the car safety inspected at my shop since it was there already. I said sure no problem and I asked my mechanic. My mechanic came back with a rear brake readjustment and a new tire (which I was already changing). Since that’s all it needed for a saftey I said no problem and I paid for the brake readjustment and the tire and I got the car safetied.... now this guys saying multiple things on the car are not up to saftey standards and wants me to reimburse him the money or go to court... I don’t think it’s my problem since I got the car inspected.. just wondering if I have anything to worry about
24 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1843 posts
1805 upvotes
Toronto
Unless you signed the safety certificate yourself I think you're fine.

Afterall, you didn't perform the safety inspection.

The technician however may be in for some issues if the buyer pushes the issue to the Ministry of Transport.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16998 posts
15606 upvotes
Richmond Hill
What are the issues the buyer is complains about?
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1832 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Tell him to knock himself out and go to court, suing the mechanic or shop that issued the safety check.

He set you up and is seeing if you'll hand him cash like a scared senior...

Why does this thread sound so familiar?
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1041 posts
1225 upvotes
Canada
OP has 1 post...we taken for a ride again? Nah.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1992 posts
1007 upvotes
Ontario
Tell him to take it up with the shop that did the safety, not you...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4726 posts
3953 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Juniort99 wrote: A few weeks ago I sold a 1999 Honda Civic ex... prior to selling the car I brought it to my mechanic to change a tire since one tire was a mismatch tire because I got a flat a while ago. So before selling the vehicle I wanted to put the correct size tire on. While the vehicle was at the mechanics the buyer was interested in the car and asked if I could get the car safety inspected at my shop since it was there already. I said sure no problem and I asked my mechanic. My mechanic came back with a rear brake readjustment and a new tire (which I was already changing). Since that’s all it needed for a saftey I said no problem and I paid for the brake readjustment and the tire and I got the car safetied.... now this guys saying multiple things on the car are not up to saftey standards and wants me to reimburse him the money or go to court... I don’t think it’s my problem since I got the car inspected.. just wondering if I have anything to worry about
Buyer needs to deal with the mechanic that safetied the vehicle if he has an issue with it not being performed properly. In case he pursues you in small claims court you should make notes now on everything that happened and keep copies of receipts and records. This is what you’ll need as a defence and if everything is well-documented you will prevail.

Sounds more like rookie buying a 22 yr old vehicle and now trying to blame you for their buyer’s remorse when friends/family commented negatively on their purchase.
[OP]
May 16, 2021
5 posts
6 upvotes
I have one post because this is the first time this happened to me and I was looking for other people’s experience with this
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3619 posts
1908 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Dude he was interested in buying your car, he asked you to get it safety at your mechanic, your mechanic did everything and did it. Now he wants to return it?

Tell him it’s final sale! It’s a goddam 20+ year old car what do you expect?
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
[OP]
May 16, 2021
5 posts
6 upvotes
There’s gas leaking, brake and fuel lines are rusted out, axles are toast, front brake callipers are not good, cv boot, exhaust leak
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22092 posts
8468 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Juniort99 wrote: There’s gas leaking, brake and fuel lines are rusted out, axles are toast, front brake callipers are not good, cv boot, exhaust leak
How did such a vehicle get safetied or are you saying this is what the buyer claims is wrong?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5967 posts
2600 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Quentin5 wrote: How did such a vehicle get safetied or are you saying this is what the buyer claims is wrong?
Maybe the mechanic overlooked some things to help OP out?

This reminds me of when I was looking to buy a winter beater years ago. The seller would only agree to have the car inspected by his own mechanic and not one of my choosing (which was also nearby, and I was going to pay for it). Big red flag.
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22092 posts
8468 upvotes
Socially Distanced
dealseaker101 wrote: Maybe the mechanic overlooked some things to help OP out?
Then this dude is going to lose bigly in court.
This reminds me of when I was looking to buy a winter beater years ago. The seller would only agree to have the car inspected by his own mechanic and not one of my choosing (which was also nearby, and I was going to pay for it). Big red flag.
You were right to be suspicious. I am wondering if this was a setup by the buyer though ask to get it inspected then sue saying the inspection was bad.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1832 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Juniort99 wrote: There’s gas leaking, brake and fuel lines are rusted out, axles are toast, front brake callipers are not good, cv boot, exhaust leak
Which should never have passed a safety, nor would any buyer smelling gasoline or getting a test drive buy a car like that.

I'm crying foul on this whole thread. It doesn't make sense as these "backyard safeties" cost Mechanics and entire shops, their licenses.

Is it April Fools?
Last edited by Gibsons on May 17th, 2021 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29748 posts
10470 upvotes
LOL and all this happened in a few weeks? Sounds more like the safety cert was a fraud, not saying that was at your behest but the mechanic is either lazy, incompetent, negligent (or some combination) in signing off on the safety.

Provided you had nothing to do with the fradulent safety (didn't slip the guy a $50 for passing you, etc.) then you should be in the clear as you can just shrug your shoulders, claim ignorance and say the mechanic said all was good. Buyer will have to go after the mechanic, in this case. Also I probably wouldn't go back to that mechanic if I were you.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4923 posts
2506 upvotes
Toronto
xjesterxx wrote: if the buyer pushes the issue to the Ministry of Transport.
That is an effort in futility,
I had a rack & pinion fail within a week of being safetied & the MOT didn't want to touch it.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4726 posts
3953 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Is this all in a written report from a licensed shop? Did buyer provide any pictures to back up the claims?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3619 posts
1908 upvotes
Toronto, ON
OK? If the buyer is claiming all this, then ask them to speak with the mechanic who did the safety, as others suggested. From my understanding, your hands are clean...unless you did some dirty work with the mechanic and safetied it with all those problems the buyers claiming it has.

Wait, are you looking to do a one-day fame with this click-bait post?
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!