Sold a safetied 1999 civic and now buying is trying to sue me

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2021 2:43 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16991 posts
12384 upvotes
Toronto
either the buyer is BS'ing you and trying to shake you down or your mechanic is a scammer. Or I suppose OP could be a scammer in cahoots with his mechanic.
Last edited by Swerny on May 18th, 2021 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2714 posts
3724 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Tell him to go talk to the person who did the safety.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1194 posts
1081 upvotes
I was buying this BS troll post until OP stated what is wrong with the car.
If in fact it is in such bad shape no way any tech friend or not would pass the vehicle for an Ontario safety.
And no way the OP would not know the vehicle is in such terrible condition.
And if the OP's so called buyer is making all this up then who cares.
May 26, 2016
148 posts
126 upvotes
ROYinTO wrote: I had a rack & pinion fail within a week of being safetied & the MOT didn't want to touch it.
I'm no expert ... here are some of the inspection rules:

1.2. Inspection Outcome Based on Current Vehicle Condition
A pass or fail outcome of a vehicle inspection is based on the condition of the vehicle at the time of the inspection. The determination does not involve a prediction about a vehicle’s condition in the future.

a) Steering box or rack-and-pinion unit, reject if:
- loose or insecure mounting; mounting bolt, bushing or nut missing or loose
- housing cracked, broken, or level 2 leak
- for rack and pinion steering systems there exists excessive free play in the steering mechanism

Good luck in proving that loose or insecure mounting; mounting bolt ... housing crack ... excessive play ... couldn't happen in 1 week.

IMO the above is quite different from rust and here's just 1 of many components:

a) metal line and fittings (Surface rust and corrosion is normal on metal lines and fittings, and is not cause for rejection.) Reject if:
- heavy rust, corrosion or scaling is present on any metal line or fitting that reduces or increases the thickness or compromises the structural integrity of the material

Something is missing, this whole story doesn't make sense. Which mechanic would risk their licence for $50? When I checked the car there was surface rust (lines) but now that 2-3 weeks have past it's heavy rust ...