• Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2021 9:53 pm
[OP]
Jun 22, 2009
307 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto

Sold Used Car - Buyer wants to return! Advise

I sold my old Dodge Caravan to the buyer - during the time the deposit was made I texted him that I have received $100 for the purchase of the 2010 Dodge Caravan and the remaining $5,000 amount will be due on delivery two days later. The buyer replied with his name and address.

I gave him a UVIP which I signed and the ownership. The buyer claims I lied about number of owners (I did not since the UVIP just shows transfers between dealers which I don't consider as owners). Should I be taking it back? Please advise.
79 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11765 posts
2230 upvotes
Toronto
aalui wrote: Nope. Deal is done
Bill of sale wasn't signed, nor was ownership. It's not done.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
19735 posts
7233 upvotes
Socially Distanced
He just wants out.
Legally i don't think he can do much here if the transaction is complete
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Dec 16, 2014
884 posts
470 upvotes
Easter Island
if buyer transferred ownership, it's done deal
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1503 posts
1271 upvotes
Ottawa
Did you receive the $5,000?

If so, not much the buyer can do about it. He should have done due diligence before sending you the money.

If he hasn't paid yet in full, good luck getting the $5k from him at this point. Your hand might be forced to take back the vehicle.
[OP]
Jun 22, 2009
307 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
Ownership wasn't transferred - vehicle was delivered to him. The total amount owed was payed once the van was delivered.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5635 posts
2461 upvotes
Toronto
Desii wrote: Ownership wasn't transferred - vehicle was delivered to him. The total amount owed was payed once the van was delivered.
The ownership being transferred is for him to worry about. I think you can notify Service Ontario that you sold it.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1286 posts
1544 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Like the number of owners makes a difference. He has the van, you have the $$. Deal is done.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4093 posts
4222 upvotes
GTA
Did they have the chance to review the UVIP before taking delivery of the vehicle and making payment?
[OP]
Jun 22, 2009
307 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
derass wrote: Did they have the chance to review the UVIP before taking delivery of the vehicle and making payment?
Yes it was provided - he didn't look at it before giving the funds but it was given to him.
[OP]
Jun 22, 2009
307 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
at1212b wrote: Bill of sale wasn't signed, nor was ownership. It's not done.
Would my texts constitute as a bill of sale? A UVIP was provided, the texts mentioned were exchanged, the full payment was received, car was delivered
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2014
1219 posts
662 upvotes
Desii wrote: Would my texts constitute as a bill of sale? A UVIP was provided, the texts mentioned were exchanged, the full payment was received, car was delivered
UVIP has a bill of sale section (s.5), was that completed and signed?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4093 posts
4222 upvotes
GTA
Desii wrote: Yes it was provided - he didn't look at it before giving the funds but it was given to him.
Then I would tell them "sorry, you had the chance to review it".
Desii wrote: Would my texts constitute as a bill of sale? A UVIP was provided, the texts mentioned were exchanged, the full payment was received, car was delivered
The official bill of sale is on the last page of the UVIP. Both of you should have filled it out and signed it before the deal was concluded. Some people make and sign an unofficial bill of sale which is usually good enough at Service Ontario. Some texts are really informal.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11765 posts
2230 upvotes
Toronto
Actually I didn't see the payment part. I hope you signed the ownership. Just emphasize those are not real owners. He might be crazy to harass you after is the only concern I would have.
[OP]
Jun 22, 2009
307 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
hybrid09 wrote: UVIP has a bill of sale section (s.5), was that completed and signed?
I signed it - my concern is I don't have a copy
[OP]
Jun 22, 2009
307 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
at1212b wrote: Actually I didn't see the payment part. I hope you signed the ownership. Just emphasize those are not real owners. He might be crazy to harass you after is the only concern I would have.
Ownership was signed
[OP]
Jun 22, 2009
307 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
derass wrote: Then I would tell them "sorry, you had the chance to review it".

The official bill of sale is on the last page of the UVIP. Both of you should have filled it out and signed it before the deal was concluded. Some people make and sign an unofficial bill of sale which is usually good enough at Service Ontario. Some texts are really informal.
I didn't take pictures of the UVIP which i regret - can that be a problem for me?
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1503 posts
1271 upvotes
Ottawa
In the future, remember to snap a copy of the UVIP.

You have $5000. He has the car.

Given that, he can now transfer ownership. The risk to him is that you take the vehicle back and claim it's yours. But ... you signed everything, so he has proof that you've relinquished the vehicle.

I don't think there's much he can do in this situation. The deal is done.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4093 posts
4222 upvotes
GTA
Desii wrote: I didn't take pictures of the UVIP which i regret - can that be a problem for me?
No, I don't think so. I can't think of any way it could be used against you.
Dynatos wrote: You have $5000. He has the car.

I don't think there's much he can do in this situation. The deal is done.
Exactly.