Home & Garden

Solder a ball valve with water on the other side?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2016 12:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9770 posts
2393 upvotes
Montreal, QC

Solder a ball valve with water on the other side?

Tried to use a push fit connector to avoid having to solder but it's slighty leaking, also because the water supply and ball valve are 3/4" before it's reduced to 1/2", so I want to do properly.
How feasible is it to solder a pex sweat without damaging the vavle? If possible, I would like to avoid closing the water from the city.
Last time I've soldered copper pipes was in high school, I do however do electronic soldering and I don't mind it.

Plan on just getting a simple propane torch and maybe later on, fix the inverted shower diverter...

Also, should I use a female sweat and remove the small section of copper pipe or a male sweat over the pipe?
A female sweat should be easier to solder since the solder would just flow downward but I'll have to be heating up the valve while with a male sweat, I will be soldering against gravity (pipe is vertical)
5 replies
Apr 30, 2004
271 posts
76 upvotes
Doesnt matter male, female...
pex valve should be open, try to heat it up fast. No Pex hose to be on a valve at time of soldering.
Did not understand about closing water supply... But if you have water in a copper tube, even with no pressure- it will prevent pipe to heat up to a proper temperature, will not solder and will leak.
And heat only a valve, gravity doesnt matter much- when it get a proper temperature- solder will get "sucked" in, that is when not too much...
Metal must be very clean and flux used liberally
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9770 posts
2393 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Thanks naz, here's a picture to better explain it, it's the main valve to the house

Apr 30, 2004
271 posts
76 upvotes
Now undestand better. Nothing special. Close that main valve. Extract water somehow ( open that little drain on the side of valve) from that nipple, no water shoud be in that nipple. clean it nicely with a sandpaper and the part you want to solder too, try to heat up thicker piece only and from there you will be fine. If you soldering a pex valve, just get 1/2 female valve and that one shoul be open while soldering, try to heat it fast, crimp Pex after soldering.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4959 posts
1344 upvotes
Kitchener
Don't use a female pex fitting, the brass to brass will be tough to solder in this situation. Use a short piece of copper and a male pex fitting. I would also recommend using a MAP torch to get heat on the joints quickly. Also what is your plan B if this doesn't work? You should try soldering on another valve with water on the other side first
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9770 posts
2393 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I suppose I could practice at another valve at the boiler (reg stop valve), plan B would be calling in the bf of my sister in law which is a plumber lol