Entrepreneurship & Small Business

sole proprietorship - a numbered company operating as ??

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2018 9:26 am
[OP]
Jan 22, 2017
57 posts
6 upvotes

sole proprietorship - a numbered company operating as ??

I want to register a numbered company, sole proprietorship in Ontario. After searching on the Internet, I couldn't get a clear answer to my question. Can I advertise my company using a name, say, "Johnson Roofing" , by using the name on my business cards and on the company' website?

I won't register this name, and it won't be protected. Is the government (On and CRA) OK with it?

Thanks.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
935 upvotes
Newmarket
To address the first part of your message if you register numbered company you will not be a sole proprietor, you will be a corporation.
For the name you should obtain a name search to ensure it is not taken, you can then have a legal corporate name that is different from operating name (company 123456789 Ontario Inc operating as Johnson Roofing).
[OP]
Jan 22, 2017
57 posts
6 upvotes
If i still go with sole prioritor, and my legal business name is my personal name, can i operate it as "Johnson Roofing" and use this name to advertise? Do i have to go through name searching and register it?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
199 upvotes
Markham, ON
A name search is recommended but not required for a sole proprietor registering a business name.

A name search is required for a corporation name.

You don't have to register a business name but it is recommended.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4943 upvotes
Here 'n There
Sole proprietorship and numbered company are mutually exclusive. It's one or the other.