SOLVED: FIDO APN (Miui 10) - Can't add APN

• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2021 11:31 am
Tags:
Jan 11, 2012
47 posts
5 upvotes
NORTH YORK
The link doesn't seem to be working. Can anyone upload the apk again? Thank you.
Jan 11, 2012
47 posts
5 upvotes
NORTH YORK
miji2 wrote: So I tested it and it does not seem to require root, but does require debug and whole ADB setup with a separate laptop which is a PITA when you're on the go.
Plot twist. Since I always wanted an app to do it, this enraged me enough to throw together a simple App Inventor app to manually trigger the required APN add window.
Now for the dirty hack part ... sideloading APKs is a crappy way to deal with this problem, but so be it .. have to fight fire with fire. The APK is here --> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tY78j ... _d200HbArI and all it does is it brings up the "Add APN" dialog. So for those desperate enough for a new APN, all you need to do is pull your SIM card out, create the APN (via commandline or with this app), and then place SIM back in. This seems to work for me, test it if you're brave enough. Screenshot attached.
The apk download link is not working...
Jan 11, 2012
47 posts
5 upvotes
NORTH YORK
thelefteyeguy wrote: Im very very new to android...been using iphone forever (way too user friendly but hella expensive)

I did not go through the apk app that Miji2 was so gracious in putting together....many many thanks.

I did about 3 hours of internet searches during the day and finally stumbled on the publicmobile forum where ppl where have the same problem with greyed out apn and the disappearing apn add button!

SOme ppl were able to figure it out without any programming....

They used a sim where the company did not lock out the apn. I.e. Freedom mobile, Roam mobility (T-mobile). I was about to give up because i didnt have a freedom mobile sim hanging around until i reallized that i had a roam mobility sim hanging around...here's the solution:

the phone needs to have dual sims...

1. remove all sims ...reboot.
2. place freedom / roam mobility sim in.
3. add/create new profile ...then save
4. place fido sim
5. set fido sim as primary sim/default for internet, may need to disable the first sim
6. the add apn button will appear for FIDO! ...what a stupid bug in the first place
7. Add apn info for fido. Save
8. Root...
Fido sim now has the apn for ltemobile.apn.

...solved.
Works for me. Thanks

To summarize, take all the SIM cards out, put Roam Mobility SIM, go to the APN setting page, CLICK add APN (and don't need to input anything, just stay at THIS page), remove Roam Mobility SIM, put bak Fido SIM, now go to previous page (i.e. leave THIS page), you will see all the original two Fido's apns but you can now "add APN" button is there.
Jun 2, 2002
503 posts
205 upvotes
chenyia11 wrote: The apk download link is not working...
Thanks for pointing that out. I am not sure why, other than Google applied some weird rules onto my GDrive. I had to download it myself fairly recently after reflashing my phone, so the download was working. I'll have to investigate further.

Edit: sure enough. After un-sharing and re-sharing Google says "This item may violate our Terms of Service" .. wtf kind of a two bit cloud drive is this? I skimmed the ToS too, can't see anything about APK. Pathetic. Maybe Microsoft one will work.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
23680 posts
12894 upvotes
Toronto
miji2 wrote: Thanks for pointing that out. I am not sure why, other than Google applied some weird rules onto my GDrive. I had to download it myself fairly recently after reflashing my phone, so the download was working. I'll have to investigate further.

Edit: sure enough. After un-sharing and re-sharing Google says "This item may violate our Terms of Service" .. wtf kind of a two bit cloud drive is this? I skimmed the ToS too, can't see anything about APK. Pathetic. Maybe Microsoft one will work.
Google doesn't seem to like people storing exe and apk files. I normally 7zip the files, encrypt file names so google cannot see what is uploaded.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
Jun 2, 2002
503 posts
205 upvotes
will888 wrote: Google doesn't seem to like people storing exe and apk files. I normally 7zip the files, encrypt file names so google cannot see what is uploaded.
Yeah, I thought of that, but the hassle of undoing all that on a (newly reset) phone negates any benefits of using the APK .. might as well just shuffle SIM cards around.
Maybe renaming it is enough to obfuscate? Or just host elsewhere.
In any case .. obscure issue but still infuriating to me.
Mar 21, 2019
2 posts
Miji, any chance of sharing the apk again? Just ran into this issue after an update.

Thanks,
Dec 24, 2017
398 posts
373 upvotes
miji2 wrote: Yeah, I thought of that, but the hassle of undoing all that on a (newly reset) phone negates any benefits of using the APK .. might as well just shuffle SIM cards around.
Maybe renaming it is enough to obfuscate? Or just host elsewhere.
In any case .. obscure issue but still infuriating to me.
Could I somehow beg you to share this file again please?
Jun 2, 2002
503 posts
205 upvotes
TL;DR : So I uploaded the APK to Microsoft OneDrive >here< .. let's see how long that lasts.

Full disclosure: I did a virus scan on the file just to see if perhaps my account was compromised or something. Nope. But I did find that 1 out of 58 virus scanners identifies this as Potentially Unwanted Program. Not sure what that's all about as the app is super simple, has no ads, and does not even require any additional permissions. I've done this in MIT App Inventor and is clean from the ground up. Regardless, if you feel uneasy, don't use this APK and just use manual steps outlined .. they work just as well.
Last edited by miji2 on Jun 14th, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 10, 2011
487 posts
255 upvotes
I have a Mix3, Global, with Videotron. I was able to active VoLTE, but Wifi Calling is not working.

Did anyone with a Xiaomi was able to use WIFI calling?
Banned
Aug 17, 2008
60 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga, ON (GTA…
I have th Povidone F1 and running into this issue.

So what I'm doing is removing SIM, opening the APP (APK downloaded fine), adding the apn setting, clicking save, putting SIM back in and it should be there right?

The app lets me save the apn setting but it doesnt show up in available apns under fido. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the help guys
Nov 25, 2010
5 posts
2 upvotes
Victoria
Thank you! Worked great on a Redmi Note 7
miji2 wrote: TL;DR : So I uploaded the APK to Microsoft OneDrive here .. let's see how long that lasts.

Full disclosure: I did a virus scan on the file just to see if perhaps my account was compromised or something. Nope. But I did find that 1 out of 58 virus scanners identifies this as Potentially Unwanted Program. Not sure what that's all about as the app is super simple, has no ads, and does not even require any additional permissions. I've done this in MIT App Inventor and is clean from the ground up. Regardless, if you feel uneasy, don't use this APK and just use manual steps outlined .. they work just as well.
Jun 2, 2002
503 posts
205 upvotes
sanidev wrote: I have th Povidone F1 and running into this issue.
So what I'm doing is removing SIM, opening the APP (APK downloaded fine), adding the apn setting, clicking save, putting SIM back in and it should be there right?
The app lets me save the apn setting but it doesnt show up in available apns under fido. Am I doing something wrong?
Your steps are correct. Is it possible you're mistyping MCC and MNC for the APN? The MCC is the Mobile Country Code and the MNC is the Mobile Network Code which together uniquely identify a mobile operator. MCC for Canada is 302, and Fido MNC is 370, I believe. The only other things you require is the exact APN string, and whatever label you feel like entering. I can't validate the MNC at this moment since I don't have access to a Fido device. Maybe you're being forced to roam on Rogers? Your phone, the Povidone F1 (heh, autocorrect? .. I'm assuming you mean Pocophone :) is not very Canada-friendly. Good luck,
Dec 5, 2009
262 posts
99 upvotes
GTA
thx the apk worked perfectedly for adding fido lte on my mi 9 china version with china rom.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3794 posts
969 upvotes
Toronto
the adb command line worked for my redmi note 7, no need to root. though if you do a factory reset you will have to redo these steps again
May 22, 2019
1 posts
Hey I'm having the same issue with my Xiaomi MI a2 lite and Fido and I would really like to try your Apk. Do you have another link?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5872 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto
So... about this link to this magical APN adder...
M-e-X-x wrote: Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
May 23, 2019
3 posts
6 upvotes
miji2 wrote: TL;DR : So I uploaded the APK to Microsoft OneDrive here .. let's see how long that lasts.

Here's the quote from a few posts ago with a new download link. I just downloaded this yesterday and got it working on my Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite on FIdo as well. Worked perfectly - except a couple of the details on the APN settings were stopping me from sending or receiving mms messages. Here's the settings I finally got to work and I now have LTE and mms working:

Name: Fido LTE
APN: LTEMOBILE.APN
Proxy: not required
Port: not required
Username: not required
Password: not required
Server: not required
MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca
MMS proxy: 205.151.11.13
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 370
Authentication type: not required
APN type: default,mms,supl,hipri,fota,cbs
APN Protocol: IPv4 (default is IPv4/IPv6 but I couldn't send mms messages until I changed it to just IPv4)
APN roaming protocol: IPv4/IPv6
everything else just leave as default

Hope it all works for you as well
May 23, 2019
3 posts
6 upvotes
Here it is from a couple posts ago