Personal Finance

[solved] Is it normal to pay $5.65 to put a fraud alert on my credit file?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2016 1:53 pm
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes

[solved] Is it normal to pay $5.65 to put a fraud alert on my credit file?

I was trying to place a fraud alert on my equifax file because the last fraud alert that lasted five years may have already expired.

http://www.consumer.equifax.ca/cs7/Sate ... cale=en_ca
Please call 1-800-465-7166 and press option 2 in order to place an alert on your credit file.

Is it normal to charge money for this? The automated system said it was $5.65 for this and I believe it's good for another five years. My backpack was stolen before on the TTC and I had some personal LOC cheques in it. I don't recall if I filed a police report and maybe the credit bureaus' policies have change and they have begun to charge to put an alert on a credit file?

It's been five years now but I think it's the cheapest form of protection for my us. Just wondering if we really ahve to pay for it cause I don't recall what happened five years back.

http://www.fcac-acfc.gc.ca/eng/resource ... aspx#alert

How can I add a fraud alert?
You can ask the credit reporting agencies to put a fraud alert on your credit report if:

you have been a victim of fraud
your wallet was stolen
you had a home break-in.
You may need to provide identification and a sworn statement to prove you have been a victim of fraud.

It tells lenders to contact you and confirm your identity before they approve any applications for credit. The aim is to prevent any further fraud from happening.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Nov 11th, 2016 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 replies
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Just called TransUnion and hit #1 (English) and then #3 and they charge the same fee.

For English correspondence, please contact us between the hours of 8:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. ET (Monday to Friday) at 1-800-663-9980
Banned
Jul 18, 2016
2014 posts
786 upvotes
I personally consider this incredibly unethical. We have zero choice as to whether or not creditors maintain public histories on our credit behaviour. Why on earth should we pay to protect ourselves when our lives largely depend on good credit? Let the creditors pay for the protection. They are the ones reporting the history and profiting from it.

I can't answer your question, but I consider this very wrong!
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
We have no choice. Nothing's going to change so might as well bend over and pay the amount.

My wife and my alerts just lapsed. I will just pay $5 x 4 (Transunion and Equifax) since it's the cheapest form of protection. I understand where you are coming but we really have not much choice, do we? :(

TransUnion also has a little-known potential fraud alert service to help suspected fraud victims. For just $5, TransUnion places an alert in your credit report that instructs lenders to contact you before approving any loan request or credit card application. That instruction remains on your file for 6 years unless you request its removal, and can block identity thieves from taking out credit using stolen personal information.
http://www.creditcards.ca/credit-card-blogs/tag/fraud/

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)