• Sep 10th, 2021 9:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4408 posts
1947 upvotes
Parry Sound

Some advice for those harvesting cannabis from their garden for the first time

Make sure you flush your plants 2-3 days prior to harvesting if you used a lot of nutrients/fertilizer, especially if you used non-organic ones.

Drying and curing is the most crucial step. Do not rush this process. You've waited this long so you can wait a few more weeks.

When drying, do it in a cool dark room with a relative humidity around 55%. Temperatures between 16-24 are ideal. Keep one or two oscillating fans for circulation. I'd also suggest hang drying and keeping some room between flower in case one ends up growing mold/mildew. You can trim off the big fan leaves now and leave the rest of the trimming for after it's dried.

Around 3 days to a week is more than enough. Check your flower from time to time to ensure there isn't any mold/mildew and that it isn't getting overly dry. Drying needs to be a slow process otherwise you'll lose a lot of terpenes which is what gives you the smell and flavour you love so much.

At this point you can fine trim your flower and start putting it in your airtight jars for curing. Keep the jars in a cool, dark place. It's a good idea to use a humidity pack (boveda, integra). Open them once or twice a day to burp them and toss them around a bit.

If you want the best quality, best tasting, best looking flower then the curing process is a must. Don't rush it. Curing will take about 2 weeks at least but it's well worth the wait.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2751 posts
370 upvotes
Newmarket
It'll stink up your house. Be aware.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4408 posts
1947 upvotes
Parry Sound
jimmy-j wrote: It'll stink up your house. Be aware.
Oh yeah, big time.

If you can afford it then you should buy yourself a tent with a carbon air filter at least for the drying.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4408 posts
1947 upvotes
Parry Sound
LOL someone who doesn't like this thread has been going through my post history and downvoting everything Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2751 posts
370 upvotes
Newmarket
MayorOfToronto wrote: LOL someone who doesn't like this thread has been going through my post history and downvoting everything Face With Tears Of Joy
lame lol.. ok take the internet points. it hurts so much.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4408 posts
1947 upvotes
Parry Sound
Another piece of (controversial?) advice would be to wash your flower before drying. This practice is known as "bud washing".

Take 3 buckets. Fill them all with filtered water. Room temp is fine. Too hot and you'll ruin the terpenes, too cold and you'll lose trichomes.
In the first bucket, add some lemon juice and baking soda. Take your bud and dunk it in the bucket for about a second. Take it out and then dunk it in the second bucket of clean water. Then again in the final bucket.
Let any excess water drip off and then just hang them to dry as you normally would.

I used to think it was stupid and would ruin the flower but after actually doing it I'm convinced it makes the flower smoke a lot cleaner. Plus all the dirt you see in the wash will make you realize the importance of it.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1215 posts
596 upvotes
TORONTO
I personally think that flushing really helps with a cleaner smoke. Bud washing only for outdoor grows. I've done the lemon juice as well as peroxide. Both do a decent job. But I feel the lemon juice imparts some essence to the flower.

I think the huge elephant in the room when it comes to growing outdoors, especially in areas like southern ontario when things get really wet around this time is Powdery Mildew.
For the past 3years I've grown, 80% of my plants. No matter how diligent I am with trying to prevent it. Bud washing is supposed to help. But if you take a proper microscope (not some amazon special) you'll find all types of crap laden in the buds. And personally, I find my outdoor buds give me this certain cough. It could be in my head but I'm 90% sure it has to do with PM or unseen mold.
The plants that didn't have PM were specific strains. Hell I have a couple strains growing right now that are supposed to be PM resistant. Nope, they have PM.

As a remedy I've used a milk spray (60 milk/40 water) and sprayed in the AM when the sun is about to hit the plant. And I mean douse the plant in this. It causes the plant to have a little milk sheen to it after it dries in the sun. But it does keep some of the PM away. You'll have to reapply after a rainy bout. It's a gardeners trick used for plants that tend to attract PM like cucumbers.
This year I'm trying Safers 3 in 1. I'm assuming its a mixture of sodium bicarb and soaps. Just a bitch to find at local HD's. From what i've read, you can continue to spray the plants with this up until 2 weeks before harvest. Personally, I've had more success with milk and trust that the milk doesn't affect the flowers terps.